1976 Sunbird Funbird

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1976 Sunbird Funbird

Postby monzacoupe » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:40 pm

I like it! I wish I had the motivation and skill to work as fast as you!

Rick
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby shortchevy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:43 am

So much progress was made yesterday! I put the motor in the car for the first time and WOW does it fit good! I used the original h body trans mount which bolted directly to the 4l60e and bolted to the crossmember. I did move the crossmember back 1 hole but I'm not sure if that's the final resting place. I currently have 4" from the back of the head to the firewall. The motor mounts appear as if they will be almost as simple, I bolted the block side mounts from the Sonoma to the motor. I took the frame side h body mounts and cut the rubber off and bolted them to the frame, I then slid in the Sonoma frame side mounts and it appears as if I will be able to just weld the Sonoma frame side mounts to the hbody frame side mounts and done deal. It looks like I have plenty of room for the intake and exhaust. I think I will be able to use the Sonoma mechanical fan, coolant reservoir, and parts of the Sonoma air box set up.

shortchevy

Postby Kenova » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:48 am

If you have the opportunity to move the engine and trans rearward I say do it. Our cars are a little nose heavy so moving everything to the rear, even just a couple of inches, will help balance out the handling.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby shortchevy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:42 pm

Kenova wrote:If you have the opportunity to move the engine and trans rearward I say do it. Our cars are a little nose heavy so moving everything to the rear, even just a couple of inches, will help balance out the handling.

Ken

Right now it's as back as far as it can be using factory crossmember and trans mount. About 2" farther back than the original motor/ trans were.

Motor mounts are welded up and installed, power steering is plumbed, apparently GM didn't change the size of the lines or fitting between 76 and 98. I picked up the cavalier intake and mocked it up, I also mocked up the header, it came on the Sonoma when I got it. Heater hoses are partly hooked up and radiator is kinda in place
shortchevy

Postby shortchevy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:45 pm

shortchevy

Postby 92turbogtz » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:09 pm

If I were to do another h-body, I think I would try to put in this 2.3 Quad4 I have kicking around. I had built it for boost and it was in my Beretta GTZ and can easily put out 250-300hp at the crank. My Beretta dynoed at 210whp at a modest 6-8lb boost.
Alex
1998 BMW 328is - Current
78 Formula Sunbird - Sold :(
92turbogtz

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby shortchevy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:00 pm

I'm still getting stuff done, just slow on posting. Engine harness is in. Shifter is hooked up. Getting ahold of my tuner in the next couple days so he can flash my pcm, I am getting rid of the egr, passlock, and the downstream o2 sensor. while I'm getting that done I hope to hack the other harness and keep as much of the under hood fuse block from the Sonoma. I want to keep my options open for future options. I would like to keep the cruise control if possible and I want to keep the obd II plug as well as all the wiring for the gauges, that way if I install aftermarket gauges I'll have the wiring in the cabin.
shortchevy

Postby shortchevy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:06 pm

Just another quick picture-less update. Torque arm is in, I ended up mounting it to the trans crossmember. I cut down the original sunbird driveshaft and slid it right into place. We will see how bad that shakes lol. I plan on having a shaft made but I have to have the ability to move the car around as soon as it runs. Plus it's nice to put it in park and not worry about it rolling down my driveway. Today I pulled out the fuel tank and retro fit the s10 pump into the sunbird sending unit, not quite done with that yet, I need to get a fitting or 2 to finish up. Pcm is ready to be picked up so I hope to grab that tomorrow. I'm really hoping to fire it up over the long weekend coming up.
shortchevy

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:09 am

Well we're having fun now!
Short Chevy wrote:I'm really hoping to fire it up over the long weekend coming up.
Keep posting, (and YouTube video is also welcomed) I'm watching and I am sure others are too! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby shortchevy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:24 pm

Well the three day weekend paid off in spades, I had the car running 8:30 am Saturday morning. Sunday I didn't work on the car, ended up going on a nice motorcycle ride and got some things crossed off the honey-do list around the house. Monday I was back at it though, got the throttle cable hooked up, finished up a bunch of little piddley things and drove the car around my backyard! Today I got the down/crossover pipe fabricated and installed, I will probably bring it to an exhaust shop to have an exhaust built.

I promise to get some pictures up shortly, work has been really busy and I have been a stand in for the boss while he is away and that eats up time really well. I will try to get a video but I have never done that before so no promises there
shortchevy

Postby Kenova » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:29 pm

WE NEED A BURNOUT VIDEO!!!!! :lol:
Good to see you are progressing quickly.

Ken
My other car is a Nova.
Kenova

Postby shortchevy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:21 pm

shortchevy

Previous

Return to Project Journals