1971 Chevy Vega-RX7 suspension. Turbo V8 to come-Restomod

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1971 Chevy Vega-RX7 suspension. Turbo V8 to come-Restomo

Postby Sid » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:57 am

Keep it a small tire car and you should be fine. I over build everything just incase I want to upgrade in the future. A few extra braces and a tubular K-frame wouldn't hurt.

Good luck with your build, Phil.
Phil.
1971 Vega wagon
1975 Vega wagon
1972 Buick Skylark
1997 Nissan p/up
Sid

Postby Boostedvega » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Been really slow on progress. So I think its time to kick it up a notch. I decided to document this on youtube aswell, I figure video may be better way to show the progress and still be available later down the line for sharing.( after noticing that I can no longer share Photobucket image... what a bummer)
Update goal is once a week, No matter how small. Anything really just so theres always progress.

Update: relocated the Steering Column to make room for the headers and to make sure I can build an engine mount around the steering Shaft.

This weeks VIDEO Update can be seen here: https://youtu.be/5OjrJrd2kcA

Pics can be seen below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boostedvega

Postby Boostedvega » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:37 am

Update: well weekly update turned out tougher than expected. Still the goal and will keep trying until I get there or until this is done.

Video Update: https://youtu.be/A_PiBUuQUtI

Pic Below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boostedvega

Postby T-FATTY » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Love the grinding booth, that made me lol! Like the video vlog.
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Boost, I love the grinding booth as well but for pure "Cinematic Effect" shouldn't that thing burst into flames if you were pushing on that "Makita"? :lol: :haha: :roll: lmao? I'm really glad to see that you are kind of breaking the stereotype with "H-Bodies" you are about half the age of the average "Old Geezer" here myself included! :th: :th: I just watched the first installment and have NEVER experienced a "Drill-Cam", "Far Out"! Glad to see the commitment and creativity! Now I have a question do you have a "Hooker" body kit [or part thereof] for your Vega? Your lower valance area looks like it in the quick peek I had. Harry
Last edited by Monza Harry on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Boostedvega » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:23 am

Thanks glad you guys enjoyed it. I'm actually starting to finally get the hang of the editing these so definitely more of these to come. :th:

Monza Harry I didn’t realize there is a stereotypical age group for the “H-body”. But I guess that would make sense since no one really knows about these cars. Probably because there aren’t very many of them around.

The lower valance is a handmade aluminum cuts/bend done by the previous owner. He could have modeled it after a kit? Im actually planning to retain that look but im planning to make a 1 piece fiberglass it instead of it being in multiple aluminum pieces.
Boostedvega

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Boostedvega wrote: Monza Harry I didn’t realize there is a stereotypical age group for the “H-body”. But I guess that would make sense since no one really knows about these cars. Probably because there aren’t very many of them around.

For the "Most Part" Collectors of things, collect from certain time periods in their life, toys are from the 6>12 year range, Game System and the like will likely be from the 12>17/18 year range and the cars may overlap from 12/14> early adulthood, when most aren't able to go and get what they want themselves, due to the usual suspects, no money, young family, new house or from the childhood things no money or control of our own destiny. So, that would put most Vega collectors in the 1958>1968 age group and the Monza [and friends] about 5 years younger than that. So 1962 for me :( :rolleyes: :x That is my observation of the "Stereotype" Then there is the "Legend" buyers they were influenced by their "Peer" group Dads' cars older brothers Cool Neighbours etc. so that lowers the age some, but still a predictable window of the "Average Buyer/Collector" Now I am glad to "Drag" some new blood in and hold them "hostage"! :lol: Thanx For Joining In, in all facets that you have and any you think you might. :th: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Boostedvega » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:17 am

Monza Harry wrote:Now I am glad to "Drag" some new blood in and hold them "hostage"! :lol: Thanx For Joining In, in all facets that you have and any you think you might. :th: Harry

Well Looks like ill be one of the hostage for a while. Especially the way progress is going :bored:

Cant wait to up production but I cant see that happening until mid of next year when I'm finally done with school :dance: :dance: :dance:
Boostedvega

Postby Boostedvega » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:15 am

Well things turned out great :th:
Everything fell in place. Really started to see some progress on my welding, Which is pretty good considering I only get to practice TIG when I work on this car :lol:

Video Update : https://youtu.be/M6jrM9qgzcw

Pics below
EP 3.JPG
Boostedvega

Postby Boostedvega » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:50 am

Looks like I'm missing my goal by a long shot. But better late than never.

Finally got around to building the transmission mount.
Hope to finish this mount soon and start the exhaust.

Video Update:
https://youtu.be/_TD_Gmb0XOw
Boostedvega

Postby hammerdown7 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:26 am

Do you have anything holding the frame rails together? It looks pretty open under the engine and with the engine sitting there, it promotes spreading.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby Boostedvega » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:54 am

hammerdown7 wrote:Do you have anything holding the frame rails together? It looks pretty open under the engine and with the engine sitting there, it promotes spreading.

Dick

Hi Dick,

Yes there is a crossmember right under the engine that the previous owner welded. I have cut the back half of it since its in the way, I am considering adding a bolt in brace there but at this time it does not look like I will need it. See attached pic
What do you think?

It will also retain a K style strut brace so the engine will be "boxed in."
Boostedvega

Postby Boostedvega » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:21 pm

ITS GREAT TO BE BACK :bump: :D :D :D :D :D

Hi Guys. I apologize for the long delay, I had to take a few months break to make sure I graduate :dance:

Now that I'm back to only working I finally have some free time.
This update is all about making the exhaust. I decided to tackle the crossover from the driver side.

Video Update.
https://youtu.be/Q5EcuNoTGBc

here's what it's all about.
Boostedvega

Postby Boostedvega » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:16 am

Slow and steady wins the race lol.
Completing the exhaust crossover.

Video update:
https://youtu.be/jcQzH_V3xNs

pic 1.JPG

pic 2.JPG
Boostedvega

Previous

Return to Project Journals