1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula: Project Phoenix

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula: Project Phoenix

Postby NVEGAR8D » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi Bullet and Red, I would suspect that tube "K" or stock, the real tell is the center link height that dictates the oil pan fitment.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:52 pm

Seems like its been forever since I've posted here. Mainly post to my FB page just due to ease...

Anyways... Been working on body work. Slowly getting the shell and the fenders into shape. Hopefully I will be able to shoot more primer, 2k primer, sealer, and (fingers crossed) some color before winter.

The hood was still in bare steel and starting to form some surface rust. I ran the DA over it with some 80 grit to clean it up. The underside was mostly hand sanded. The wire wheel on the grinder cleaned out all the remaining seam sealer before it was primed with epoxy. There are a lot of low spots in the hood that will need smoothed with a touch of filler.

hood.JPG
Hood is in epoxy!
hood.JPG (233.38 KiB) Viewed 210 times

The roof had a LOT of small pits from rust. They were cleaned out when the car was dustless blasted but i figured it needed a full skim coat to really cover them. There were also a couple dents that I pulled as best I could. The remaining low spots got a bit of filler. It feels pretty straight. I'll respray it with primer and check it again.

Roof.JPG
Roof is smoothed.
Roof.JPG (241.18 KiB) Viewed 210 times

Both quarters had patches installed. I think I have this one mostly straightened out now. Still some sanding left to do.

Quarter.JPG
Quarter.JPG (207.33 KiB) Viewed 210 times

The rockers were beat up and had some patch work done. They're pretty straight now thanks to the long Dura-block sanding block. The front edge of the rocker is nice again now too.

Rocker1.JPG
Rocker is straightened.
Rocker1.JPG (207.07 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Rocker2.JPG
Front edge is straight now.
Rocker2.JPG (193.67 KiB) Viewed 210 times
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby RedFiveKBS » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:28 pm

Well, I've been slacking on posting here but I have made progress.

I finished my filler work (for the most part) on the shell and fenders. Resprayed them in epoxy to seal it up again.

epoxy1.jpg
Epoxied again.
epoxy1.jpg (74.95 KiB) Viewed 166 times

Started working on the left door (driver's side). It is a very solid door but had the inner structure rusted out a bit in both the front and rear bottom corners. I cut out the skin as small as I could so that I could rebuild the inner skin. One corner required a new piece of door skin which I made from 19ga steel. The other corner was solid so I cleaned it with ospho overnight, primed it on the inside, and welded it back into the door. The door warped in at my welds more that I cared for but I was able to pull them back out some.

door1.jpg
Patch up door
door1.jpg (107.62 KiB) Viewed 166 times

There were a lot of small dings all over the door. The worst was this front edge. A friend sent me his electric pin gun and I used it to pull some of the dents out. It worked pretty good.

door2.jpg
Dings all over this door.
door2.jpg (70.59 KiB) Viewed 166 times

Since there were a lot of small dings, I elected to skim the whole door. The front (white) is Evercoat Rage Extreme and the back (yellow) is their Rage Gold. I used Gold on the rest of the car but ran out and decided to try to the higher rated Extreme.

door3.jpg
Sculpting 101
door3.jpg (83.95 KiB) Viewed 166 times

I sanded the bulk of the filler off of the door to get it straight. I am pretty close to as good as I am going to get it. It came out pretty good. This picture shows a few recoated areas. I am hoping to hang the door on the car tonight so I can finish sanding it out.

door4.jpg
Sanding and sanding...
door4.jpg (68.02 KiB) Viewed 166 times

making progress.
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:25 pm

I need to get in gear and moving again.

Hung the left door on the car a couple months ago. The gap at the bottom rear isn't pretty. Needs a lot of "adjustment" in the form of beating and bending which really killed my motivation.

October Formula.jpg
Need motivation
October Formula.jpg (91.04 KiB) Viewed 122 times
door.jpg
door.jpg (40.37 KiB) Viewed 122 times
RedFiveKBS

Postby 283vega » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:36 am

You've done such a good job so far. I look forward to your posts and progress. I know finding the time and energy can be difficult but the end results are worth it. :th:
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby dindin » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:44 am

.Everything looks great don't let this bump in the road stop the great progress..you could allways come back to it or get another door and last but not lease don't forget the old saying.."perfect is the enemy of good"

aL
dindin

Postby Bullet » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Go back and go through your own thread. Look at how far you've come. Grit your teeth and push through this problem, you know you have the skills, it's just another chance to prove yourself TO yourself. I had an old biker friend that was a Harley mechanic through the AMF years and when yet another ride ending break down would happen, he'd just grin and say "that's what makes this *stuff* so much fun".
Bullet

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:07 pm

Thanks, Guys. I appreciate it!

You are right, looking back at the car when I got it to how it looks today is a great motivator. I dropped off the passenger door to the shop working on making the Monza floor pans. They said they could patch the bottom and fix it for me. I have done all the work myself to this to this point but I took the opportunity offered on the door. The guy making parts offered to do the door for me and I figured it was a chance to show them the other parts we need made for these cars. I'll circle back to this door soon.

I'd like to have paint on the car in the spring and then start to reassemble the suspension and interior.

I've also decided to get my 327 from my high school Sunbird rebuilt over the winter. It will go into my 1976 Sunbird which will basically recreate my high school car.
RedFiveKBS

Previous

Return to Project Journals