1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula: Project Phoenix

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula: Project Phoenix

Postby NVEGAR8D » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi Bullet and Red, I would suspect that tube "K" or stock, the real tell is the center link height that dictates the oil pan fitment.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Re: 1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula: Project Phoenix

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:52 pm

Seems like its been forever since I've posted here. Mainly post to my FB page just due to ease...

Anyways... Been working on body work. Slowly getting the shell and the fenders into shape. Hopefully I will be able to shoot more primer, 2k primer, sealer, and (fingers crossed) some color before winter.

The hood was still in bare steel and starting to form some surface rust. I ran the DA over it with some 80 grit to clean it up. The underside was mostly hand sanded. The wire wheel on the grinder cleaned out all the remaining seam sealer before it was primed with epoxy. There are a lot of low spots in the hood that will need smoothed with a touch of filler.

hood.JPG
Hood is in epoxy!
hood.JPG (233.38 KiB) Viewed 12 times

The roof had a LOT of small pits from rust. They were cleaned out when the car was dustless blasted but i figured it needed a full skim coat to really cover them. There were also a couple dents that I pulled as best I could. The remaining low spots got a bit of filler. It feels pretty straight. I'll respray it with primer and check it again.

Roof.JPG
Roof is smoothed.
Roof.JPG (241.18 KiB) Viewed 12 times

Both quarters had patches installed. I think I have this one mostly straightened out now. Still some sanding left to do.

Quarter.JPG
Quarter.JPG (207.33 KiB) Viewed 12 times

The rockers were beat up and had some patch work done. They're pretty straight now thanks to the long Dura-block sanding block. The front edge of the rocker is nice again now too.

Rocker1.JPG
Rocker is straightened.
Rocker1.JPG (207.07 KiB) Viewed 12 times
Rocker2.JPG
Front edge is straight now.
Rocker2.JPG (193.67 KiB) Viewed 12 times
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Previous

Return to Project Journals