1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula: Project Phoenix

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula: Project Phoenix

Postby RedFiveKBS » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:24 am

More progress on the rocker/cowl repairs.

cowl1.jpg
cowl2.jpg
cowl3.jpg
cowl4.jpg

I've been working on these plates by making little paper templates of the pieces. I transfer these to the sheet metal, cut them out, and then bend as needed. This process has worked great so far.

cowl5.jpg

Just need to weld in one more panel in the wheel well, make some modifications to the cowl/fender plate extension, and close up the side of the cowl. I'll be painting the inside and applying some seal sealer in here to keep it from rusting. This was a challenging rust repair for me and was the most concerning part on the car. Everything else should be pretty easy. :th:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedFiveKBS

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby RedFiveKBS » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:25 am

Oh... And the Donor Monza is gone. I cut everything I thought I needed from the car and sent it down the road.

donor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:21 pm

Busy day in the garage.

The left side rocker/cowl reconstruction is nearly complete. I pulled a picture I took a long time ago but never posted. I was too afraid of the reaction it would get. Truthfully, I was not really sure how I could fix this rotted area. Once the car was blasted and i did some archaeology on it I could see how it was formed and assembled. I started from the inside and worked outward. First was the floor pan with a drop down to the pinch weld line followed by the inner rocker and an internal rocker plate. The last plate ran from the wheel well into the cowl to close off this area. Lots of plates and lots of steps but it came together pretty well. I am very happy with my results as a hobbyist that's never attempted something like this repair.

before and after.jpg

The bottom of the cowl/fender support plate was rotted off too. This was a fun little fabrication that wrapped around the final plate.

cowl1.jpg

The front edge of the rocker had a few holes in it and also needed some repair. I only cut about an inch out of it and made a patch. I also patched the bottom of the rocker since it had a number of holes in it.

rocker.jpg

I'm down to the final plate that will close off the cowl again. Hoping to have that wrapped up tomorrow.

cowl2.jpg

I really wanted to have the floors done this week but I'm not sure I will meet that goal. I Just have two patches left in there but I am waiting on my brother to make the right rear pan with his bead roller. Who knows when he'll get to that so I may just put in a flat plate without the beads in it.
RedFiveKBS

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:19 pm

Kevin a bead roller will do the most beautiful job but check out Nick's build journal, he quite cleverly used a relief shape on his vise between the "Anvil & Jaw'" to pound the shape in and he did a pretty nice job to boot, reminds me of "GMagilla" [?] he did the Vega lower valance with almost no sheet metal tools, things like a 5 gallon pail, Determination at it's best! Keep them pic's comin'! Harry [Nicks User page: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4224]
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby hammerdown7 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:12 am

Great job on all the 'fixes'. Something I'd never attempt.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:30 am

My long week off is coming to a close. :cry: I'll be out on the road for work for a while and limited to mostly weekends for a bit. Got a lot done as you can see above, however.

Spent Saturday working on the left quarter panel patch. This piece of metal used for the patch was cut out of the donor Monza. It wasn't perfect but it was pretty complete other than a piece in the bottom. I trimmed that out and patched the patch.

patch.jpg

I had trimmed the rot off of the quarter before the car was blasted.

q1.jpg

The internal patch was planned to be one piece but I had a hard time getting the metal to do what I wanted it to do. Two pieces worked great and it won't really be seen.

q2.jpg

I took my time spot welding in the patch. A little here and a little there allowing it time to cool so that I'd avoid warping the panel. It came out pretty good. The seam did suck in a bit but that will allow for a bit of filler to even it all out.

q3.jpg

Used the angle grinder to knock the welds off the repair. Ready for a bit of primer and filler.

q4.jpg

Planning to close off the left side cowl today. Nothing too adventurous. :th:
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:45 pm

Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY!! Ugh...not looking forward to a 6:30AM flight tomorrow morning. Back to work.

Didn't really plan to do a lot today but I did manage to finish the bottom of the cowl patch. What a challenging repair. I am very happy with the results.

cowl.jpg

I was going to call it a day after the cowl patch but then decided to tackle this little hole by the gas filler.

hole1.jpg

I cut a small piece out and noticed there were holes in the other side of the wheel well too. I ground out the rust and patched the inner holes from inside the wheel well. Then I made this little patch piece and fitted it to the hole.

hole2.jpg

A bunch of spot welds later.

hole3.jpg

Then ground the welds off. I'll hit it with a touch of filler and it will be gone.

hole4.jpg

I'll be on the road for the following week and hope to get some more done next weekend. I'd like to finish off the left side of the car. Really there is just a couple small holes to patch and it will be done. Once the left is done I will turn the car around and work on the right side. The right side isn't as bad as the left. The cowl needs a little work and there are a number of holes in the right rear wheel lip. I saved a chunk of the right quarter from the Donor Monza to make those repairs.
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:48 pm

In the raw. Just threw one fender on and the header panel with its brand new NOS emblem. I like this raw look.

shell.jpg
RedFiveKBS

Postby SOLSAKS » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:06 pm

you are doing some really nice fabricating
i dont know how to do any of that...so i am jealous, and in awe of your skills

you will really know every part of the car personally

i admire your work ethic

that project will surely keep you out of trouble.

keep up the good work.

dave in NC :D
SOLSAKS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:21 pm

SOLSAKS wrote:you are doing some really nice fabricating
i dont know how to do any of that...so i am jealous, and in awe of your skills

you will really know every part of the car personally

i admire your work ethic

that project will surely keep you out of trouble.

keep up the good work.

dave in NC :D

Thanks, Dave! I am really enjoying the process. All the patching gets monotonous at times but I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Just a few more patches to go and NONE of them are as big or difficult as the left side cowl/rocker/floor or quarter panel patch. Just a couple small patches on the right cowl and several on the wheel lip. I really want to get it into epoxy primer soon. It has some areas where flash rust is starting to appear. They wipe right off so no worries...yet.
RedFiveKBS

Postby RedFiveKBS » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:42 am

Nearly done patching the left side of the car. Just one floor patch and a couple really small spots to address.

Finished this spot in the left rear wheel well area last night.

set1.jpg
set2.jpg

Back on it this afternoon.

I need to drill out the rear seat belt bolts since the heads are stripped. They would not come out with heat or PB Blaster so they get the drill. Then I can do the last floor patch on the left and turn the car around so I can do the right side.
RedFiveKBS

Postby OldsStarfire » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:38 pm

Really first class fabricating work ! Since our cars don't have big resale values we need to do these things ourselves. It's amazing what you can do when you really want to. Another H body saved :th:
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Kevin wrote: I need to drill out the rear seat belt bolts since the heads are stripped. They would not come out with heat or PB Blaster so they get the drill.

Kevin if you can cover up the seat belts well enough, try welding on a hex nut, something fairly large say 1/2" [3/4" across flats] fill in the hole making sure it is well bonded to the offending bolt, let cool and turn out with a wrench. It seems like magic when it works, the heat combined with the shrinkage of the weld and many come right out "Smooth as Silk" that will be much easier than drilling. Maybe try on one of your parts donors if you have any left, just to get the feel of it with as little risk as possible. Now if that doesn't work when you drill if you have access and room to get under the car, and drill from the bottom, that will have the drill bit trying to unscrew that B :censored: D of a bolt! Harry :th:
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby waybad » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:30 pm

MAD SKILLS AND DETERMINATION :th: :th: :th: :th: :th: :th:
Tinker
waybad

Postby RedFiveKBS » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks guys! I sincerely appreciate the positive comments! It is certainly a labor of love.

Whenever I feel like I'm stalled or not making progress I look back at pictures of the car when I brought it home. Big difference!
RedFiveKBS

PreviousNext

Return to Project Journals