1974 Vega Wagon Drag car

Tell everyone about the progress of your project! Please respect people's threads.

Moderator: Moderators

1974 Vega Wagon Drag car

Postby VegaNate » Sat May 19, 2018 1:44 am

Well to start off I'm new here and new to Chevy all together. This project started out as all talk about 15 years ago between my dad and I. We always wanted to do a Vega wagon drag car project with a small block power plant. Well 15 years later and had just sold a previous project and was looking at something new when an add caught my eye on the local Craigslist. It was a 1974 Vega Wagon Kammback with the 4 cyl auto and A/C. He had it listed at 900 and I ended up towing it home for $650. The car hand been licensed since 1991 and was parked due to the front brakes going out. I got it home and instantly got to work. First the interior came out, the seats and carpet were shot but amazingly the door panels and all the pillars and headliner are in like new condition. Then came the motor but not before I tried to see if it would fire. Amazingly my neighbor and I got it to fire up with the help of some ether after just a few cranks the cleaning of the plugs. At that point I had to yank it so I could list it up on local CL. I also ended up pulling off the front fenders, grill and any other body panel i could up front to try and preserve them from further damage ( both front fenders have rust behind wheel arches). After all said and done I jumped back on the CL and found a guy with a 350 2 bolt block with 69-70 76CC heads for 180 so snagged that up with the plan to flip the heads and have the engine took out to a 383. A guy at work got wind of my project and offered up the deal of a lifetime. He hooked me up with a set of upper and lower adjustable control arms out of Kevin Hardins NASCAR and a Ford 9" housing out of the same car, along with a 2 speed powerglide. and a Chevy 10 bolt out of a 67 Chevelle. I plan on using the powerglide and the 9" and flipping the 10 bolt. The front control arms are currently TBD as I am looking into doing and S-10 spindle swap up front. I also have been looking at the SW 10 point cage kit and luckily anything I cant get installed myself I can take to the local NHRA certified shop to have finished. Enough talk time for some pics. And yes I know there is a Ford Racing flag in the pic. I have always been a Ford guy.... Til now haha

VegaNate

Re: 1974 Vega Wagon Drag car

Postby burnouts&rotorblades » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:53 am

Whatever happened to this car? Also, has anyone avoided the wrath of photobucket? If there is any progress on this car I'd love to see it!!
1972 Vega Wagon; 283 V8, 4 speed video 1
#DriftVega
YouTube/butnoutsAndRotorblades
Facebook/BurnoutsAndRotorblades
instagram @BurnoutsAndRotorblades
[url]BurnoutsAndRotorblades@gmail.com[/url]

"Don't get it right, Just get it running"
burnouts&rotorblades

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Re: 1974 Vega Wagon Drag car

Postby Taint » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:03 am

burnouts&rotorblades wrote:Whatever happened to this car? Also, has anyone avoided the wrath of photobucket? If there is any progress on this car I'd love to see it!!

imgbb.com hosts pics for free.
Taint

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Return to Project Journals