6pt roll bar - where do your bars go?

Moderator: Moderators

6pt roll bar - where do your bars go?

Postby shoebox1.1 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:09 pm

i only have the main hoop at this point. my buddy is going to fab up the plates and get me the tubes for the down tubes (door bar) and the rear tubes. where do those rear tubes go on your cage? this is a 80 coupe. im not going to have any rear interior other than some sheets to cover the rear firewall holes. i was thinking the rear bars should go through the rear speaker holes and as far into the trunk at possible? any trunk pics? also i am going to incorperate sill bars and no subframes. might fill the rockers with foam too! thanks
shoebox1.1

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby Bacchus » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:04 pm

Rear bars should go directly over your shock mounts.
1974 Vega Wagon
2007 Jeep GC LTD HEMI
2002 BMW 330XI
Bacchus

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby stage169 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:15 pm

I agree with Brian B. on the rear bars. On hatchback cars there is a safety advantage to running the rear bars all the way to the back. I didn't do that on my red car but I feel safe about it if the car went upside down on the track.

You can get lots of ideas on installing a bar/cage. I got help from a person that has built lots of cars but I'm sure there are many correct ways of doing it. Here is where my main hoop was welded to the floor. My rear bars are bent so I could keep the back seat. My back seat bottom cushions extend a little in front of the main hoop which I thought worked out well. There are some pictures of my red car in the garage. I think its on the fourth page under stage169. Keep us posted on your progress! Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stage169

Postby shoebox1.1 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:13 pm

cool thanks for the pic
shoebox1.1

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby Sirshredalot » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:11 pm

Hey Stage169,

What kind of welder did you use to weld in that roll cage and Frame connectors?
I have a cage ready to be put in, but I dont have any shielding gas.
Just wire fed MIG.

I welded in my transdapt/hooker motor mounts with this welder and they are holding great.

NHRA rules say that it has to be mig on mild steel right?
I know Chromemoly is TIG.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby stage169 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:41 pm

Shred, I didn't weld mine but the person who did used a mig welder mostly. On the roll bar where you can see it he tig welded it. I don't remember exactly but I think you are correct on the NHRA rules.

I have been learning to weld some. I have a welder and have been wanting to weld tabs up front for my motor plate. Sometimes I'm good and other times I suck! My biggest problem is the power setting and wire speed. At least a chart came with my welder so that helps. My friend said it is hard to weld on these cars the metal is not so good. It looks like a lot of people here weld very good! Good luck with yours and where did you get your roll bar? If you get a chance show us some pic's. Brian
stage169

Postby Sirshredalot » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:59 am

I got my cage from competition engineering about two years ago.
I actually ordered it through a local speed shop...I got the 8pt cage and I think it ran me about $215-225 shipped.

I know when I got it the box sure was heavy....I bet the cage will add an extra 80 pounds.

Oh yeah...I understand the welding thing...I suck at welding most of the time...I think its the quality and thickness of the metals your welding that makes it either hard or easy.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Return to Racing Chassis