Roll Bar/Cage Kit?

Moderator: Moderators

attn Badsunbird

Postby chevyart » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:36 am

the 8 point roll bar will be more than enough if you can connect (weld) the down legs from the rear loop to subframe connectors( these are the very important link in a good strong 8 point setup., also the cace just welds to the metal floor. what you should do is make corresponding metal plates and bolt them to the plates on the cage from underneath(like a sandwich) this really strengthens thngs up alot and is real easy to do. I have this setup on my 67 chev 2 and run in the 10s and launch real hard with 14 inch slicks and the car has held up real fine with no appearant bendind or permanent twisting of any parts of the car, and my front and rear qwindows are still in. get that subframe connector in and you are good to go . good luck Chevy Art
chevyart

Postby 76Nomad » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:49 pm

Here are the pics from Goquick. Thank you for sharing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Arrival Blue Metallic
Injen cold air intake
GM Performance Touring Cat-back

1976 Vega Nomad Camback
stock right now (but it doesn't run either)
76Nomad

Postby stage169 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:17 am

Goquick's car looks like a fun ride! My six point bar and subframe connectors hopefully will hold my car together. I'm planning a front motor plate so that should help cut down some front end twisting. I don't know if I'll make 600hp and the widest slick will probably be 8.5" wide. That is a bad dream though to complete the car and then have it twist. All I want to do is get in the 10's and keep it together.

I can't tell from the pic's but is there a mid mount plate on Goquick's car? S&W race cars has a front mount plate for the Buick V6 and it goes between the water pump and front cover. When I first saw it I questioned the idea but after looking around there are lots of front mounts like that. Bench building sucks I can't wait till the weather breaks for good. Brian
stage169

Postby goquick » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:27 am

Thanks 76Nomad for posting the pictures.

To answer stage169, Yes my car has a 1/8" thick steel mid plate. It is just large enough to have about 3/16 of an inch above the bellhousing and it tapers off coming from the top over to the frame. Takes up less room that way. From the back side there is a re-enforcment brace that is horizonal side to side starting appox. an 1" from the bellhousing to the frame. Small, light weight but strong midplate. My new car will have a TCI midplate that is also a flexplate guard and is part of the firewall. Not sure I'll like it as much as the Vega's set up, but the new one is a 6.0 certified chassis deal.
1-2 GO !!!
goquick

Previous

Return to Racing Chassis