Currie 9" and 3-link suspension

Moderator: Moderators

Currie 9" and 3-link suspension

Postby GizmoN » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:32 am

A few members wanted to discuss a Currie 9" H-body version for 3-link H-body models (in my case a 1976 Skyhawk). I am initiating this discussion for that purpose. Fire away! Dean

NOTE - AFTER POSTING I CALLED CURRIE. THEY HAVE NO MORE H-BODY BRACKETS. THE PICTURE SHOWS ONE PURCHASED IN 2004.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GizmoN on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GizmoN

Postby heinz057 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:22 pm

how much was it?
heinz057

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby GizmoN » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:50 pm

"Heinz". Note that the picture shows Currie and Spohn parts that I bought separately. I added the metal brake lines. Flex hoses came installed from Currie. Currie also supplied Lokar e-brake cables.

I assume you just want the amount for the Currie? The prices have gone up since I bought mine about 5 years ago. It appears that Spohn pricing may have changed as well, so I'm not sure my information is valid. Let me know what you want approximate pricing on, assuming it is old information. Spohn online prices for similar parts (F-body) at the time were very close to what I paid for the H-body stuff. Might be the same situation now, although our low volume may result in higher prices.

You really should call Currie, since there are options such as axles, gear housing, traction device, brakes, etc. You can get an idea of Currie prices at Summit Racing. Just add up the housing, the carrier and the brakes. Looks like about 2.5k to me using today's pricing. Dean
GizmoN

Postby stage169 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm

:oops:
Last edited by stage169 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stage169

Postby stage169 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:34 pm

Here is a spec sheet from Currie (2002) with some info.

Dean did you have to supply them with measurements? Just curious. I think within the last couple years the rearend brackets have been discontinued. Currie may not be able to supply a complete rear now (that is just a guess).

Dean are you driving your car now? I am just curious how your brakes work. Do you have the S10 spindles? I am planning on rear Explorer brakes for my red Hawk. Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stage169

Postby GizmoN » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:07 pm

Brian, I just called Currie, and you are correct. No more brackets. The only option is a bare unit and you add your own brackets. When I bought it I only had to provide the width. Guess that will make this discussion short and sweet. Sorry I even started it. That's what the new guy gets I guess.

I was driving the car, but now it's up in the air for S-10 spindles, Wilwood brakes, and upper control arms. The brakes were hard, but that was due to the incorrect master cylinder piston diameter specified by someone that will go unnamed. It was good after I replaced the master with one having a smaller piston. I'm waiting until I get the Wilwood calipers in place to determine any future changes based on pedal feel. I'm also running a electric vacuum pump for the brakes now, thinking that was the problem. Really it was the master piston size, but I like the added insurance. Stopped fine at the track as well. Can't wait to get the Wilwoods on there.

Anyone else fabbing complete 9"ers for H-bodies? Dean
GizmoN

Postby stage169 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:43 pm

I have talked to a member here that has some Don Hardy brackets. He is going to have them copied so if somebody wants new brackets maybe he can help. It doesn't matter what rear you get brackets are still needed. One recent post showed a 9" with welded up brackets. Currie will always be an option.

I have a Moser 12 bolt with the late Torino large housing ends. I have read that your front piston area should be at least 25% larger with 40 to 50% being better than the back piston area. I know the Explorer caliper piston size from 95 to 02 is 1.81". S10 front is 2.5" just like the late model H. This works out to be around 48% so on paper it looks good. I haven't picked a MC yet but I thought about manual brakes. Brian
stage169

Postby GizmoN » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:10 pm

Brian, Thanks for the feedback.
I knew I was going to the Wilwood 4-piston calipers shortly after the rear installation and that using the stock Skyhawk front calipers would be short-term. I am hoping the Explorer discs on the 9" will keep up with them. Right now I cannot induce any rear lockup before the fronts even with the prop valve completely open. Real safe, but I was hoping I could dial in a bit more rear brake when running slicks with skinny front runners at the track. Guess I'll have to sort it out when it's back on the road.

I've only run the car once with the 9". Much better than the 7.5" and an Auburn diff. I toasted that. Galled the parts. The locker is great for launching, and helps keep it under control when the tires break loose on the street as well. Always pulled sharply to the right when shifting, not any more.

I hope the brackets work out so more people can experience this fun. I didn't ask Currie if they will take someone's brackets and weld them on. Dean
GizmoN

Postby stage169 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:45 pm

I always have to post quickly at work. The man is always looking over my shoulder 8) .

Dean what you have shown us looks killer for sure! I don't care if your car is primered or not put it in the garage here so we can always check it out! :D

About your rear brakes keeping up with the four piston Wilwood calipers maybe this might help. Piston area (square inches) formula is - Pi times radius squared. Radius of a circle is half its diameter. If all the pistons are on one side of the caliper figure the piston area for each and then add them for the total area. If there are equal pistons on either side of the caliper then figure the piston area for one side only. All this was in the "Whats your problem?" in the Dec. 07 issue of Car Craft so I'm just Regurgitating that info :lol: Here is what I figured for mine.
1991 S10 front caliper piston is 2.5". 1995 to 2001 Ford Explorer rear caliper piston is 46mm (mm x .039370078 = inches) or 1.81". You have to find the piston area for both.
S10 1.25 x 1.25 x 3.1417 = 4.91 piston area.
Explorer .905 x .905 x 3.1417 = 2.57 piston area.
Front caliper piston area is 48% larger than the rear.

I don't know for sure but maybe the later Explorer rear calipers have larger or multiple pistons. CC said a Camaro had the Explorer rear disc's on it yet even with a prop valve the rear would lock up first during aggressive braking. I guess all prop valves are made to let a minimum amount of pressure to the rear brakes. Even with it backed out all the way the rears would still lock up first because of the rear caliper piston area being so much bigger than the front (thats why I say maybe later Explorer rear brakes might have bigger pistons, I can't see front disc brakes on a Camaro being smaller than a S10 front brake). Anyway after all that you can at least figure your front piston area and then figure out a correct size for the rear. Who knows maybe a late Explorer rear caliper might be the ticket. One things for sure you are going to stop before the dime :wink: . Even your roll bar is going to help with braking (letting the rear do more).

My red Hawk is a lot like yours but far from done. At least this Spring I have some money to do my brakes and fuel system. I'm also planning on the Spohn adjustable rear lca's when the come out. Sorry for the long post, Brian
stage169

Postby Yenkoboy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:22 pm

Brian Who is the member working on the Hardy brackets? Would like to know how that project is going.
Thanks Mark
72 GT Vega aka "Little Evel" 22K Miles V6 3.8 T5 5 speed and 7.5 4.10 Posi
72 GT Vega aka " Little Evel II (Jegster Chassis)
Yenkoboy

Postby stage169 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:50 pm

stage169

Postby Yenkoboy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:15 pm

Thanks Brian
72 GT Vega aka "Little Evel" 22K Miles V6 3.8 T5 5 speed and 7.5 4.10 Posi
72 GT Vega aka " Little Evel II (Jegster Chassis)
Yenkoboy

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:03 pm

Dean,

Thanks for the info. What I was interested in, though, is the clearance between the caliper and the chassis. I don't know the width of your axle, but I was wondering if your car still has that diagonal brace in the axle opening of the chassis.

I have been trying to get some rear discs on my Vega, but have been having clearance problems with the chassis. I have been experimenting with rear discs off of a '92-'95 Camaro, but the e-brake mechanism takes up a lot of room. I saw the Explorer setup in the Strange Engineering catalog, but I was concerned about the clocking of the caliper on the axle for the clearance of that brace, and the routing of the e-brake cables.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby GizmoN » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:34 pm

Chuck, I'll look up some information on the width and pictures tonight. I thought I had the rear made very close to stock width. I had to make clearance the brace for the calipers on both sides to ensure no suspension travel or over-travel issues. I had already replaced most of the completely rusted-out brace on the passenger side with steel, so I could grind that side without further strengthening. On the driver's side much of the brace was still there. After clearancing I welded-in steel to strengthen the brace. The e-brake lines had to go straight forward through the wheel wells and into the car. It's OK for my now 2-seater, but not good for an original car. I could not loop the cables in any way to keep them outside the car, functional, and safe. There has to be a better e-brake setup out there. I have a 2000 Cougar that uses the e-brake cable to actuate the caliper instead of an internal drum brake. I wonder if there is a similar set up that can be adapted for H-bodies?
GizmoN

Postby GizmoN » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:02 pm

Chuck, I notice that "Monsta" fit a 9" with Explorer brakes and Lokar cables in his car in the Transmission and Driveline forum:
http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?t=21131

The pictures don't show the routing of the cables. Have you had a look?
GizmoN

Next

Return to Racing Chassis