ladder bars

Moderator: Moderators

ladder bars

Postby rtm » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:26 am

i have a set of ladder bars on my 12 bolt that attach to the axle tubes via a large u-bolt. the spherical rod ends have the familiar "L" embossed on them (recognize the emblem from other lakewood items) a freind told me i should weld the u-bolts to my axle tubes after setting the pinion angle or my entire rear may pitch rotate . i'm not sure i want to do so. anyone remember these bars?
rtm

1976 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby spyder_xlch » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:04 am

Your friend sound about right. If you ever want to remove them, or change pinion angle you just need to grind the u-bolts off and buy new ones. Yes, I do remember them but never had them.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby rtm » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:28 am

i had intended to use these as my main source of attachment to vehicle (along with lower control arms) ,also have "wishbone " locator . car will be street\ strip . 400c.u. in. chevy w\ 516 ft. lbs. torque. safety first of course . what do you think?
rtm

Postby Astre-mutt » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:29 am

Are you talking about the Lakewood latter bars from 70's? The ones made out of flat stock. If they are they were designed for leaf spring suspension. I don't think they were designed as the main mounting point for the suspension. I'm not saying they won't work, but I would what to here from someone that has done this before.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

1976 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Postby DEMON Precision » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:27 pm

rtm wrote:i had intended to use these as my main source of attachment to vehicle (along with lower control arms) ,also have "wishbone " locator . car will be street\ strip . 400c.u. in. chevy w\ 516 ft. lbs. torque. safety first of course . what do you think?

invest in a set of real ladderbars IMO , you,ll be happier and have a safer stronger set-up that will be more consistant and reliable at the track .
DEMON Precision

Postby rtm » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:45 pm

they are made of tube stock and were on the parts car i purchased. this car (a monza by the way ) supposedly had 650 hp. although i'm a little doubtful of that.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
Thomas Jefferson, (Attributed)
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
rtm

Postby Astre-mutt » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:47 pm

Rick, what are you driving? What year is it? I would think you need to to make some type of shackle for the front mount of the latter bars. Otherwise they'll bind. Where they mounted solidly on the Monza?
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

1976 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Postby rtm » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:08 am

car in question is a1976 monza towne coupe .i believe this car to be a 30,000 mi. survivor. it still had G.M. spiral shocks and the original G.M. upper radiator hose. unfortunately the original motor was gone as was the landau top. half of the car was painted black (with abrush) and it had seen an underhood fire at some point. but i digress, the ladder bars have rod ends @the ladder bar crossmember. (which i installed.) butthe u- bolt end @ the axle tubes has me perplexed . will try to contact lakewood for info. but can find no part #s onthe bars at all
rtm

Postby Sirshredalot » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:35 pm

Those are a set of "pro-street" ladder bars....Theyre bolted on with somthing similar to exhaust clamps...they arent the best idea if you really want the performance.

They where cheaper than REAL ladder bars....just like clamp on wheelie bars....basically for 14 second cars wanting to LOOK faster.

Youre friend is right...you should weld them to the axle tube and leave the heim joints for your adjustability.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby rtm » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:39 pm

thanx 4 your help, from what i'm gathering here i should invest in a more modern set of ladder bars. hopefully i can find a set w/ similar dimensions since i've already welded in the ladder bar crossmember.
rtm

Postby Sirshredalot » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Most commonly the popular length for ladder bars is about 32-33 inches.
Some companies still carry a longer ladder bar but almost everyone uses the shorter ones now.
The longer ladder bars where much more popular from the 60's to late 70's....i even seen some ladder bars that where almost 5 feet long...although impractical.

Id try getting ahold of moroso/competition eng. or CAChassisworks.com (Chris Alston)...they make most of what is out there...but Im sure even if they dont have it...they can make it.

I have a 2004 CE catalog and they only list the 32" bars.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby rtm » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:08 pm

looks like i'll be adding my own rod ends to my current set up . more fab work!!!!
rtm

Postby rtm » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:34 pm

http://autoweldchassis.com/contact.ivnu these guys will make me a set of double adjustable ladder bars w/ a polyurethane front mount (to minimize binding on the street). not cheap though $ 365.00 tomake my custom length.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
Thomas Jefferson, (Attributed)
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
rtm

Postby goquick » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:18 am

I've used Autoweld components before in a couple projects (68 Firebird, a 69 Tempest) and always was pleased with their work.
1-2 GO !!!
goquick

Return to Racing Chassis