sub frame connectors

Moderator: Moderators

Postby NixVegaGT » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:41 am

Would you want weld in connectors? I prefer weld in but I bet some type of setup could be made with bolt on stuff. Do you think bolting some onto the bottom of the rear trailing arm unibody frame and take that up along the pinch weld up to those pads that run along the side of the transmission mount would be enough or do you think they would have to run all the way to the front? WoW that was a really long sentence.

I guess they could run past that pad with a bolt on plate and up to that unibody gusset that runs from the rear lower control arm mount to the floor. I bet that would work. I bet I could fabricate something like that.

The toughest part would be that part where the rear floors dive way down. Maybe if the tubing was thinned out right there and flared inside then bolted to the rear floor under the carpet. That can't hurt. Maybe the best thing would be a combo weld/bolt kinda thing.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby spyder_xlch » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:20 am

I'd rather weld them in but some people may not want to. I was also thinking like you Nic. Have them bolt to the rear lower control arm bolt, using the same bolt. Flatten them out where the floor usually gets cut, have a plate that goes from the SFC to the tanny cross member using the same bolts and end at the brace up front. Use a plate above the brace so you can sandwich the brace between the SFC and the plate. It could probably be done without having to cut or drill anything on the car. As soon as I have my car ready and Sphon is ready for it he plans to build less intrusive SFCs. I'm hoping that is very soon.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby peterpan » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:29 pm

here is a good picture of the ones i put on my 72
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby katostud » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:16 pm

got the chris alston connectors gonna install them tomorrow
katostud

Postby djv8ga » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:28 pm

Kato, my last Vega had the Alstons with the stock suspension and I didn't like the fact they did not tie to the rear lower control arm area. I put in a roll bar with boxed 1/4" main hoop mounting plates. I than used some channel ground to match the floor and welded it in to the subframe connector, floor, and main hoop mount on the inside of the car. This at least tied the connector in to the rear rocker and roll bar plus didn't add much weight.
djv8ga

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Re: sub frame connectors

Postby katostud » Fri May 16, 2008 2:45 am

i got the chris alston subframe connectors. where do i notch the floor? pics would be great
katostud

Previous

Return to Racing Chassis