Door Window Question

Moderator: Moderators

Door Window Question

Postby silentscreamer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:22 pm

I am new to the forum and am not really sure were to put this post so i put it under race chassis.
I just purchased a 1980 monza that has the interioir gutted I am missing the machanism to roll the windows in the doors up and down. Actually the whole inner support side of the door is missing, only the door handle is there. I was wondering if there was a way to use two straps to pull the window from the bottom up. basically i am trying to turn what was ment to be a drag car into a street legal car once again. It will be drag raced but I also want it street legal. i have many more chassis related questions and if there is a more appropriate location for them please let me know.
thank you ahead of time :)
silentscreamer

Re: Door Window Question

Postby gt350fme » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:02 pm

If it where my car, I would look to replace the door hardware that is missing, maybe some used doors with hardware are in order?, may take some searching though, but that stuff is out there.
As for other questions, if you haven't found the info you need buy doing a search, ask away in the forum category you feel fits, and someone in this collective, will have the info you seek. Good Luck
1964 Chevy panel K30
1973 GT Vega Hatchback
1977 Chevy K20
1984 944 porsche
1992 Lexus SC 400
gt350fme

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby speedphreake » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:20 pm

I've used seat belts for pulling the windows up before. Bolt one end to the bottom of the door, the other to the bottom of the window where the roll up would of been, then pull the window up and latch the seat belt. It works good if your trying to save weight and still need the windows to be operable.
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby silentscreamer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:35 pm

Thats great to hear that someone else has used this method, I never though of using old seat belts. I was going to use nylon straps with button snaps to hold it.
but thank you for your help it is greatly apreciated!!
silentscreamer

Postby NixVegaGT » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:53 am

Mopar did that with the Hemi Dart. It had a clip on the end of the seat belt strap that clipped on the bottom of the door. The other end was connected to the window. It works great! I was thinking about doing this myself.
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby spyder_xlch » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:50 pm

I was thinking about a track that ran from the top to bottom of the door with a slot in it running the lenght of the track. On the bottom of the window have a small tab facing downward with a bolt facing to the inside of the car with a wing nut or something on it. You could loosen the nut and slid the window down to where you want it and tighten the wing nut. It would even work if you had sheet aluminum door panels. That was an idea I had for using Lexan windows in a fiberglass door. Real glass might be pretty heavy. I could see me loosen a wing nut and have the window slam all the way down.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby silentscreamer » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:56 pm

The guys who had my car before me did a nice hack job to it, the windows are currently bolted up with a set of bolts on the track connected to the bottom of the window and the actual door. atleast they left the stopper at the bottom or the door so the window doesnt smash down to bare metal. while doing other body work to the car i notice that the rear window is falling out(its the coupe monza) and the windshield is sitting under my bed(great place for it :? ) so i have alot of work ahead when it comes to glass for this car. the straps idea should work with no problem since i am planning on making a sheet metal inner door skin and having the button snaps on there so i can raise/ lower the window to different heights using different snap locations. and i am planning on making the strap just long enough so that if the strap slips it will jam between the door and window hopefully stopping it from breaking...
all in all it should be an interesting ride when its done since it needs basically everything except control arms, steering, rear end and a dash...

for fun the motor plans are eventually going to be a chev 4.3 with a twin or single turbo setup on it :D, and with those plans i guess the rear end is going to have to be removed since i doubt it can hold up to well to the motor...

thanks for putting up with my babbling on :P
silentscreamer

Postby NixVegaGT » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:53 am

Dude I've been hot for the strap window actuation since I first saw it on the Hemi Dart. It's a good way to shave a couple pounds too. Not that our window hardware is very heavy. Does anybody make Lexan side windows for our cars?
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby gt350fme » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:01 pm

Lexan door window, front and rear also.

http://www.dougherbert.com/lexanfastgla ... th=402_412
1964 Chevy panel K30
1973 GT Vega Hatchback
1977 Chevy K20
1984 944 porsche