ladder bar install

Moderator: Moderators

ladder bar install

Postby vega 350 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:20 pm

Just started doing the backhalf on my vega.this is a little frustrating i put the ladder bars in and the frame is at the back of the seat. It seems to fit fine but i had to move the center of the wheels back 3 1/2 inches. It makes the wheelbase 101 inches. Has anybody else run into this? It's the first time i ever did this and i know i will run into alot of other things to. also i am moving the motor back 2 inches to move the center of gravity. Does anybody have any feedback on this set up?

Brian
DRIVE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT !!!!!
vega 350

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Re: ladder bar install

Postby rtm » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:55 pm

how long are your ladder bars?
i'm about to install 30" ladder bars from art morrison
crossmember is already installed
have cheap ladder bars installed that came w/ my 12 bolt rear
but they are not double adjustable
changing them out so i can adj. pinion angle if neccessary
pics;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
Thomas Jefferson, (Attributed)
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
rtm

1976 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby rtm » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:00 pm

1 more pic (hopefully)
not real good w/cornpewters LOL.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
rtm

Postby vega 350 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Mine are comp engineering and are 33 inches.They are adjustable but not like yours mine have to be removed to adjust.
vega 350

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby vega 350 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:22 pm

You can see my setup on my profile. Got more pics just have to download them.
vega 350

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby vega 350 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:23 pm

You can see my setup on my profile. Got more pics just have to download them.
vega 350

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby rtm » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:24 pm

CROSSMEMBER PIC
unpainted area is for attachment of track locator (wishbone style)
a
rtm

Postby HAULIN' IT » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:31 pm

Brian, What is in your way that made you "need" to move the axle centerline back the 3 1/2"? I don't like the sounds of this. What are you planning to do about the quarters, cut them in the middle & move the rear portion back? The "correct" way would be to start by putting the axle in the stock location & measure forward from there to locate your front crossmember. 33" bars seem a bit long for the short car. Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Postby vega 350 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:53 pm

The bars are a little long but i got a great deal on the whole back half including the rear end.The only reason i needed to move the center is to fit the seat comfotably.As for the wheel wells they need to be streched anyways a 29 1/2 tall tire won't fit .It is only a drag car not a daily driver.They altered the wheel base more drasticly in the 70's ,i don't think 3 1/2 inches is that much,i don't think it will change the handling on the car or will it? If so how much? Again it's only going in a straight line.
vega 350

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby jcapelo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:25 pm

60 ft going to be great with a longwheel base vega are 98 your is 101 that good should drive fine
jcapelo

Postby HAULIN' IT » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:34 am

Are you talking leaving the backseat in or the the tinwork ect. clearing the front of the bars in the way of the front seats?
HAULIN' IT

Postby vega 350 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:50 pm

There is no back seat.It all got cut out.Its a fully welded kit from Comp. Engineering like the one in Jegs or Summit.I will get some pics on my profile this weekend so you guys can see what i'm talking about.I haven't figured out how to post pics on this page yet! If anybody could help me post pics i would like that.There are some pics on there now but not ones that show the seating issue.
vega 350

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby HAULIN' IT » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:36 pm

Say no more! I understand...A friend put one of those in a Maverick some years ago. Your framerail is up in the car too high (& too far forward) coming down at the angle & interfers with the back area of the front seats, Right?
I have never liked the ladderbar UNDER the framerail setup, most of the time the car will sit too high. I realize with the H-body's narrow trackwidth this may look like a nice way to go, but it would not be my pick...On a whole, my opinion of Comp. Engineering is... mostly garbage.
What he ended up doing (from my memory) was moving the ladderbars beside the framerails & built a curved-down area (sorta like a four-link framerail) just behind the seat in the rear most position. Good Luck, Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Postby vega 350 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:53 pm

Thanks Lorne, It's my first try so wish me luck.Like i said before i got a good deal on this setup (600.00) including rearend strange axcles and spool ,c-clip elliminaders and richmond gears.Yes the frame hit's the back of the seat but not to uncomfortable. I can live with it i'm only 5'8" :)
vega 350

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby chevyart » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:57 am

hey vega 350. would really like to see some pics posted on the forum when you can. dont quite understand the problem with the particular setup you are using, but would sure like to know. also, if there is a way to make the comp engineering frame setup, let us know how you think it could be done better. i have a friend that has been working over there for about 20 years, and he will listen if there is a better way to make something for a specific car let me know chevy art
chevyart

Next

Return to Racing Chassis