Welding up the X brace/K member?

Moderator: Moderators

Welding up the X brace/K member?

Postby Fastmax32168 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:43 pm

I have been busy welding up most of the seams front of the firewall in my car. I keep staring at this brace which connects the two frame rails. It has one lousy bolt in the back portion of it, and that bolt is oriented to allow one side to easily twist upwards from the other. It would seem to me that if I were to weld this 3 piece unit up solid, box it in, and then weld the whole thing into the car that it would go a long way to stiffening up this chassis. So what is to prevent me from doing this? I cant picture what servicing would require me to remove this item in the future other than pulling the oilpan. And I can guarantee that if I have a problem in the bottom end of my motor, it is coming out, not being serviced in the car. Am I missing something here?
Thanks
Roy
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Re: Welding up the X brace/K member?

Postby v6buick » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:56 pm

I would weld it up, but I wouldn't weld it into the car.

But thats just me. There maybe a time that you need to align the front end and think you can do some with this brace.

Ben
I'm more scared of not living my life, then I am of dying.

It's not a Monza it's a Skyhawk..........Yes I'm sure....
v6buick

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby res0o7eb » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:13 pm

Weld it.
Real cars have a welded/solid-mounted front cross-member.
These K-members were bolt-on originally to accommodate the installation of the Vega 2300 motor from underneath. So the rumor goes.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby chevyart » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:13 am

alot of the guys weld the whole k member together after the car is aligned and bolt it in. on some there are washers on the slotted mholes. they nweld the washers aftwer alignment and now it is together in one position and cannot move in the slots. hoipe i said that right. chevy art
chevyart

Return to Racing Chassis