Inner fender unibody

Moderator: Moderators

Inner fender unibody

Postby Fasterthansome » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:43 pm

Has anyone cut the inner fender structure out and weighed it? Its a Monza front end
I am thinking about cutting it out and running a bar from the cage forward and was wonder how much weight will it remove.

Just trying to decide if the weight savings will be worth the effort.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

Re: Inner fender unibody

Postby megavega » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:31 pm

I have not actually weighed the metal, but it is fairly heavy as its 2 and 3 layers thick. I cut these out of almost all the cars I have had, with the rollcage tubes out for supports, never,ever had any problems. You get the most benefit from the engine will run much cooler and it makes it easier to work on from the added space.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby DEMON Precision » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:33 pm

i got some parts kicking around from when i trimmed my inners i,ll dig them up and weigh some of the parts , i did remove my stock tranny mount and the gussets and i bet they are 15 to 20lbs , hell the a arms are 16lbs or so . i bet the whole front fenders and rad support maybe 50 to 60lbs

i willing to bet most of the weight could be saved by gutting all the bracing from the bumpers i know on my 75 it,s gott to be 30lbs of steel behind the front bumper , and the bumper are heavy even thou they are aluminum , i,ll go have a moment out in the shop and then i,ll weight some stuff and post the results . be back in a hr or so .

signed supporter of a FAKER/WANNABE :shock: ( private joke between Frank and myself LOL )
DEMON Precision

Postby Fasterthansome » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:07 pm

Mikey :D I dont have a front bumper or any associated hardware. It was all removed and I made a thin aluminum tube set up to support the front plastic.
The bumper and supports were like 60 lbs if I remember correctly.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby DEMON Precision » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:22 pm

looks like i threw the parts out , weighed the rear bumper it was 18/19lbs , the frame mounts and bolts where 9lbs and the tranny crossmember and the gusset was around 10lbs
DEMON Precision

Postby Fasterthansome » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks. I will weigh it all if I cut it out. I found my note on the front bumper and struts 55 lbs.
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Fasterthansome

Postby v8astregt » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:05 am

I'm thinking on my car, I'll leave the current setup for the street, but I want to build a fiberglass front only setup for the strip. I think the log is good for the rear, but using a glass front bumper will significantly reduce front end weight. As it is, I'm almost reaching liftoff!
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Return to Racing Chassis