To cut or not to cut

Moderator: Moderators

To cut or not to cut

Postby Dandog » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:49 pm

I picked up a 73 vega with a 12 bolt rear end and 4:33 gears and a spool,stock suspension.I want to run the nhra nostalgia series. Car is all stock exept rear end and v8 motormount adapters. Should I back half the car or leave the stock 4 link alone. Hate to cut a clean car. Would like to hear some ideas.Have built everything from 33 Fords to 66 Cobras but no experience with vegas this looks fun.
Dandog

Re: To cut or not to cut

Postby v8astregt » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:22 pm

Try to go as fast as you can on the 4 link. That's my plan.

The stock chassis is very capable. Mike Nordahl runs consistent 10's in his Vega in the PSCA. Front suspension is stock, and the rear is except for tubular control arms, and torque arm. Prior to that, he ran mid-9's easily with nitrous.

Not much difference with a torque arm and 4 link as far as power it will accept. Just brace EVERYTHING, and you should be good. That's something I learned from experience! :lol:

edit-on second thought, nevermind... tub it. Then sell the 12 bolt to me! When can I pick it up? I can be there this weekend! How's $300 sound??? :dance:
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:26 pm

Oh boy, we have had this discussion before, should be fun! I say do what you want, the value of a Vega is not going to increase because it is stock or not cut up in my opinion. However, you do want to make any mods in a professional way. If properly done (not a hack job) I think the car will turn more heads and be safer and more reliable. There are some that hate to cut up a clean car but unless it is something special to begin with or you really want to keep it stock I say do what you want with it and don't worry about what others think. A well done V8 Vega will definetly get some attention.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Fasterthansome » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:46 pm

Times have changed and drag radial stock style suspension cars are running high 6's low 7's.
When my big tire car gets out of shape its a handful and hope the tires dont grab. Small tire car is alot more forgiving in that sense. Big tires take power to turn.
a torque arm car uncut with tubular control arms and tubular torque arm is good for high 8's I see no reason a 4 link vega couldnt do the same.

Build whatever appeals to you.....
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

Postby res0o7eb » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:47 am

Don't cut up an early Vega. An uncut, streetable early Vega is becoming a rare item and more valuable.
Go find a Vega that is already cut up. There are thousands of them out there.
Certainly somebody has one for sale near you.

But, it is your car and you do what you want.
As mentioned, good craftsmanship is much appreciated no matter what you do.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby Dandog » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:06 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm building a 600 hp 350 with a 350th.Rules say" no nos ,no electronics.Going to try to build the car in the style of the 70's.Should be a handfull. Guess i'll go all stock and see what happens. I agree about quality of build, I hate a car that" looks good from afar but is far from good". I worked at a street rod chassis company in Montlair Ca. and am going to build this one for me. Will keep you posted.
Dandog

Postby chevyart » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:08 am

HEY DANDOG you got a lot of good advice from the guys. the thing you absolutely have to do is strenghten all the factory (rear ) suspension points where the 4 link bars hook in. there are lots of posts and pics of this simple little mod on the forums chevy art
chevyart

Postby Dandog » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:04 pm

Looks like this car was converted to a v8 awhile ago, it has what looks like a complete Don Hardy rear end and motor mount set up.Anybody have a set of Don Hardy headers laying around? The headers I have the front tube goes down and runs right next to the oil pan. I don't like these headers and would like to keep this motor mount set up. If I have to I will go with the hooker motor mount.Also found the SWT prints for subframe conectors. Anybody know if the installation instructions are posted somewhere ?Dandog
Dandog

Postby Sirshredalot » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:49 am

Just along the lines of what fasterthansome said.

Tire and suspension technology has come a long way since 1978, and the drag radial guys are CRAZY FAST!

A mini-tub, frame connectors, and tubular suspension components would be in my plans...if it where mine.
Ive seen local guys in the 9's easy on a 27.5" tall, 10.5" wide drag radial....plus it keeps the car looking cleaner.

Big tires take power to turn and take power with the more contact they make. The best advice is to run as small of a tire as you can, and still hook. Think about how much a 31 inch tall 14" wide slick weighs compared to a 28" tall 10 inch wide slick...
You can go just as fast on the later as you can the former.

Also...with a smaller tire you can use less gear ratio, and therefore keep more strength in the pinion gear, because it doesnt have to be as small. 600hp is alot from a 350 too...dart block anyone?....drool...

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby v8astregt » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Actually I plan on using a Dart block on the Kammback project. I've got a complete forged 327 rotating assembly as well. That will be a fun setup! All forged means nitrous will be in the works as well!
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby Dandog » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:56 pm

I'm going to do this the "hard" way, stock 4 bolt block , have used them to build 360 sprint car motors ,lasted all season.This won't be quite as hard on motor. Also my bad the # 1 and #2 tubes on my headers don't run next to oil pan but all the others and collector do. I just don't know how hard I can Leave on the stock suspension plan on sub frame conectors and ten point cage.
Dandog

Postby djv8ga » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:51 pm

Although I always cause trouble when it comes to this subject, I wouldn't cut it up. Stock suspension street V8 Vega's are very rare. Also, why spend a ton of money on something that will be obsolete in no time when you can build an obsolete car right from the start and have a car that is in style. Stock chassis cars are all the rage and will continue to be so IMO.
Last edited by djv8ga on Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
djv8ga

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Fasterthansome » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:54 pm

Dandog wrote:I'm going to do this the "hard" way, stock 4 bolt block , have used them to build 360 sprint car motors ,lasted all season.This won't be quite as hard on motor. Also my bad the # 1 and #2 tubes on my headers don't run next to oil pan but all the others and collector do. I just don't know how hard I can Leave on the stock suspension plan on sub frame conectors and ten point cage.

You can leave HARD!
STRAIGHTLINE RACING
Home of the world's quickest stock suspension H-body
Fasterthansome

Postby Topgun » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:27 pm

One thing that does concern me with the stock control arms are the bolts that hold them in. I realize it takes alot to shear a bolt off ,but these bolts are of a pretty small diameter. Anyone clue me in on how they hold up???
Topgun

Postby flowerz489 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:51 pm

Just buy higher grade bolts and you shouldnt have anything to worry about
72 BBC 427 vega wagon in the works
flowerz489

Next

Return to Racing Chassis