building floors from scratch

Moderator: Moderators

building floors from scratch

Postby vega 350 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:07 pm

Has anyone built their floor from scratch? Do you have any pics? I am building a drag car so i need it to be light and strong. I got some ideas but i want to see what you guys come up with first. You guys have some really great ideas and have helped me so much on my project.
DRIVE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT !!!!!
vega 350

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Re: building floors from scratch

Postby Sirshredalot » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:35 pm

I dont have any H-body advice, but am building a floor and firewall from scratch. If you want any pictures, PM me or check out my off topic thread "building a race car is hard".
So far Ive done half the sheet metal in my car and added maybe 20lbs...tops...22ga.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Sirshredalot » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:29 pm

I'll get you some pictures to show you what I am talking about, but it might be a week...I am going down to pigeon forge for the weekend for the car show...so I wont be back till monday.

I used primarily 1/2"x1/2" and 1"x1" square steel tube for the frame work try to keep this stuff about 16ga.

I framed the floor first, then started sheeting. Everywhere I wanted or needed a seam, I put a bar there to anchor it...I made everything on center too...so a sheets edge would land in the middle of a bar.

The 1/2"x1/2" is the best stuff in the world...its strong, yet light and easy to work with because you can cut it on the fly.
Best advice that I can give you, is to keep it as simple as you can. Make the least amount of work for yourself as possible because not only will it be easier...it is harder to screw up.

Go for flat, smooth, and straight.

Also a work of advice again, its easier to weld a corner with a seam than to weld a raw cut edge when dealing with 22ga. When you can, leave your self some extra room on the edges to fold an angle to form the seam that youre going to weld.

1"x1" angle iron also comes in handy alot.

Engine set back is hard to work around...let me know what you are working with...are you building a tube chassis car? Set-back? Tubbed?

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

Postby vega 350 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:16 pm

Thanks Shred for the info. I'm not building a tube car but i am tubbing the back and building my own sub connectors. i'll get some pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vega 350

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Sirshredalot » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:17 pm

Sorry man, I forgot all about it...I'll snap a bunch of pictures tomorrow after work and post em. I am finishing up the tubs right now and Ive been working a lot of overtime...it slipped my mind. I alos just got a puppy so thats another full time job...lol.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

Postby Sirshredalot » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:00 pm

Dont mind the Frankenstein stitch welds...theyll all be ground smooth, glassed and either painted, undercoated, or carpeted.

Lemme know what you think....the whole transmission tunnel is removable too...it is going to get a dozen or so Dzus fasteners.

God bless
-Shred
trans tunnel and finished tubs.jpg
[attachment=3]starting tubs.jpg

frt driver fire wall.jpg

firewall dist recess.jpg

finished tub pass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sirshredalot

Postby Sirshredalot » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:01 pm

And a battery tray

God bless
-Shred
battery tray 2.jpg
Sirshredalot

Postby vega 350 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:09 pm

thanks Shred. I just got my tubs in, I just have to figure out how to put then together. It doesn't look hard but you know what i mean!!! :bang: All i need is a 12 pack :D
vega 350

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Postby vegon71 » Sun May 10, 2009 5:47 pm

check this link, i also sent it to you in your tubbing post. http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/storminnormin/ Its got some good floor install ideas.
vegon71

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby vega 350 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:02 pm

Thanks vegon71 i got that one in my bookmarks. I just want more ideas. You can never get too much information.
vega 350

1975 Chevrolet Vega

Return to Racing Chassis