4-LINK H body adjustment help

Moderator: Moderators

4-LINK H body adjustment help

Postby dalacheax1 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:27 am

I have a back half Sunbird thats doing some really violent wheelstands. I ve moved my IC further out until it literally blows the tires and no matter where I move the IC, if it hooks it gets on the wheel e bars so hard it sometimes unloads the tires.Can anyone give me some help to resolve this before it ends up costing me body panels and possibly frame work!!
Thanks Bruce
dalacheax1

Re: 4-LINK H body adjustment help

Postby speedphreake » Tue May 26, 2009 10:04 am

Have you tried tightening up the front shock extension? How about limiting the front end travel?
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby dalacheax1 » Tue May 26, 2009 12:09 pm

speedphreake wrote:Have you tried tightening up the front shock extension? How about limiting the front end travel?

I cant find any front adjustable shocks for the Sunbird, just drag shocks.We are going to limit the front end travel with some cables, and stiffen up the Rear shocks and see if that helps. Thanks
dalacheax1

Postby speedphreake » Tue May 26, 2009 3:05 pm

I'm using front shocks for a 69 Camaro. I know summit racing has some cheap 3 way adjustables. I would try those or spend more on a good double adjustable shock. I have qa1 R series single adjustables.
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby gotmud7 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:29 pm

How about losing a few hundred horsepower. After this one in the pick, I put the 140 back in - no more wheelstands!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The only Vega's that only had a little rust were the ones still on the assembly line.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby chevyart » Tue May 26, 2009 11:57 pm

hey gotmud 7 is that really you. that thing must be a real beast looks like you need a chenge of pampers after that ride. good show chevy art
chevyart

Postby megavega » Wed May 27, 2009 12:39 am

Bruce, from your description, sounds like you need to move the I.C. up and forward. I like to set the car up with scales and see what your weight bias is, then find the center of gravity(easily done with a floorjack under the car with a plank, find the balance front /rear.,record with tape measure from certain point on car). from this point youll most of the time,rule of thumb, have a I.C. close to this point and then you can see where your imaginary nuetral line will be, will help you get the car to react without driving the edge of the rim into the track and vice versa-smoking the tires from no traction.

The bigger your spread on the front mounting point of the 4 link the less prone to wheel stand, the closer together the more violent, because your making the make shift laddre bar shorter.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby BillPappy » Wed May 27, 2009 11:01 am

I was wheel standing last year. This year 1inch taller tire. Open spacer under the carb. Made a better lauch.
Running close to the ETs with faster mph. Running stock stuff in the rear. Where the adjustment screw??? :)
It's hard for an old street racer to stay on the safe side of stupid

Pappy
BillPappy

Postby chevyart » Wed May 27, 2009 1:25 pm

hey megavega i have dave morgans book Door Slammers and i still cant figure out exactly what IC is . i know it is more than just the balanec point of the see saw(balance point of car. could you tell me what IC is in some sort of simple language. i just cant get it. same old story here with me and the book. me having that chassis book is like giving a gorilla a calculus book thanks chevy art
chevyart

Postby speedphreake » Wed May 27, 2009 1:43 pm

Draw an imaginary line along your upper control arm and keep going to the front of the car. Next, do the same with the lower contolol arm. At some point these two line will cross each other towards the front of the car. That point, is your instant center. Measure how far forward from the axle center line and how high off the ground that point is, that is your reference number. Some need to move this point to fix traction or wheel stand issues.
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby chevyart » Thu May 28, 2009 6:44 pm

that point will be up in the middle of the body. is that the same point(but higher up ) that the car would balance out at if you put the board under it and lifted the car up.. that is where the instant center point always confused me. in my mind i could not separate those 2 different points so i just couldnot graqsp where IC really was(or is). can you explain just a little more thanks chevy art
chevyart

Postby chevyart » Thu May 28, 2009 6:48 pm

just thought of something. just because my 2 stock control arms point and intersect at a certain point doesnt necessarily mean that is the IC of the car. the factory dont know if weight or suspension was changed aroud so i am still confused as to where the IC will be on my vega that now has a v8, ford rear and alot of other goodies that chancgew stock weight and balance. HELP chevy art
chevyart

Postby rocketride » Thu May 28, 2009 9:03 pm

Art,

I don't know if this will help or not but maybe.

Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who dies with the most toys.......is still dead.
rocketride

1980 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Return to Racing Chassis