Need some pictures and info

Moderator: Moderators

Need some pictures and info

Postby VegaCrazy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:53 pm

I have a stock 76 that I stripped the interior and motor and trans. I've reached the point of cutting and weld the frame. Now I read alot of posts about frame work. And as I read I noticed some guys built the frame by how fast they where going to go. Now what if I just want a street car with a V8 that would do like 12s nothing crazy. What would you guys do? And can you also tell me what sill plates are? And if I just did a roll cage what do you weld it to? And I still want the big back tire look so I will have to do the rear clip. So can I still get away with the rollcage or do I have to frame it now? And can you guys put up some pictures and tell me what your running.

One more thing can I get away using the stock steering?
76 Vega in progress
VegaCrazy

Re: Need some pictures and info

Postby spencerforhire » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:27 am

If you're shooting for 12's with a mainly street driven car, all you really need is some frame connectors and maybe a 4-point roll bar tied in with your "back-half". There have been a couple of threads on this board about said frame connectors. The sill plates you're referring to are reinforcements where the roll bar ties into the rocker panel area of a unibody car. Stock steering will be fine, but I can't say the same for braking; the 5-bolt S-10 spindle conversion is a MUST if you want to be able to stop this thing on the street or at the track.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby DEMON Precision » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:15 pm

if your car is rust free or limited in rust in the back where all the suspension mounts to the floor pan i,d leave it all stock style and work from there , my cars only got cut up because they where rotted beyond repair so backinghalfing them was a simple choice had they been in better condition i would have beefed the factory mounts up and installed a 9" and be on my way .
DEMON Precision

Postby v8astregt » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:51 pm

Street car running 12's? Just some tubular control arms, subframe connectors, sway bar, and beef up the welds (I know this).

I'm running mid-12's, and it's not traction limited like I thought this car would be. I'm only limited by lack of top end power. But with my suspension setup, I'm launching HARD, with no wheelhop or tire spin off the line with a good slick. Also, I'm running an S10 10 bolt with a posi. I'm confident that with headers and a torque converter, I'll be in the 11's.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Return to Racing Chassis