S-10 frame ideas *(move rear leaf spring mounts)

Moderator: Moderators

S-10 frame ideas *(move rear leaf spring mounts)

Postby joels_vega » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:23 pm

This guy had some Good ideas using an s-10 frame --
thought you guys Might use them on an H-body

41'srfun's Photo Album41'srfun's Project Journal

(QUESTION0 Originally Posted by 41Ford1
I'm looking for info on swapping a S10 frame for my 41 ford 2 door sedan. My 41 ford frame is completely trashed. The car was dragged raced and is heavily chopped up. Add 60 years of rust and its time for a new frame. I have an Long bed S10 & an extended cab S10 at my disposal. Does anyone know if there is any info out there on this swap???
This car is not a beater but I'm also not made of money. The S10 frame swaps looks like the best option for me. Can anyone guide me on this one??

(ANSWER) It can be done and is a pretty easy swap, but there is a lot more to it than just setting the body down on the S-10 chassis. I used an 84' extended cab chassis for my 2dr sedan swap and it worked out pretty neat. I did't cut and splice the frame, Instead I bobbed some off both the front and rear of the frame so it would fit underneath the body and then moved the rear spring hangers forward about three inches on the S-10 frame. I had to rebuild the trans tunnel and cut some notches in the rear floor pan just before the seat riser so the body would clear the kick up in the chassis.
I used the S-10 rearend, but tubbed the inner fenders to clear the wide tires a little better. You could use a different wheel with a shorter backspace if you wanted to avoid the tubs. I also used 2" lowering blocks on the rear axle to get it to set right.
The most aggravating part of the swap to me was trying to find a radiator that would cool the 350 engine and fit in the small area in front of the engine. The steering box is right in the way and takes up a lot of space needed for the radiator. After trying several different radiators I ended up buying a universal aluminum one and it does a pretty good job.
I don't have any pictures of the build, because I started this project several years ago, before I knew haw to work a digital camera or turn on a computer, but if I can help in any way just let me know.
Future car will look like this guy's cool Pro-Street Vega.
(Free) Photo customizing at phixr.com
"...act like men, be strong." (1Corinthians 16:13)
joels_vega

Re: S-10 frame ideas *(move rear leaf spring mounts)

Postby HAULIN' IT » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:46 am

Joel, Are you thinking cutting the whole bottom out of the H-body & setting it on a S-10 frame? I can see doing that to an old streetrod, but not an H. I don't feel you would be "fixing" anything. Adapting a V8 isn't any less trouble & header fitment in the S-10 isn't any better. The S-10 frames are tall & would take up a bunch of space inside the car before you had it not looking like a 4 wheel drive. Sorry, just don't see the point unless the car was real rotted & then a regular tube chassis would be better. My Two Cents, Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Return to Racing Chassis