Chassis/body shops specialize in h-body?

Moderator: Moderators

Chassis/body shops specialize in h-body?

Postby chevy454 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:45 am

Are there any shops that specialize in h-bodies, specifically early Vegas? We have a '71 we'd like to throw a little power at, but the car needs some serious body work attention, and we'd like to have maybe a chassis throw at it or at least fully tied...being an odd unibody with the sheetmetal all spot-welded together has our usual guy overwhelmed.

If said shop was in the Midwest it would be gravy!
chevy454

Re: Chassis/body shops specialize in h-body?

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:05 pm

I think that any shop that specialized in H bodies would be out of business in about a week :lol: Seriously, you would have to call around, most shops that are really good can handle just about any car.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby res0o7eb » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:50 pm

Keep your rare, stock 71 Vega as a street-driven car for fun and show.
Find another Vega that has already been converted/cut up to handle the power. There are hundreds of them for sale.
OK, had to say that. It's your car, do what you want. A stock early Vega is rare today. But highly-modified ones are not.
From your post, it seems that the body needs some work anyway.
And from your login id, it appears that you plan to put a big block Chevrolet engine in your Vega - that'll do. 8)

I just bought a set of sub-frame connectors from this place http://www.southsanantoniofab.com/catal ... 283014.htm. No cutting needed. But they do need to be welded on.
Chris Alston makes some as well and several members here on H-Body.org have installed them - requires some minor cutting of the floor boards.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby v8astregt » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:34 pm

I wish those subframe connectors were around before I hacked my floor to fit the Chris Alston's in.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby Ishiftem » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:25 am

Yeah, but you wind up with a stiffer car with the Alston ones plus they don't hang down.
Any one can restore a car but, it takes a real man to cut one up.
Ishiftem

Return to Racing Chassis