Side bars, Pro street style vs swing out?

Moderator: Moderators

Side bars, Pro street style vs swing out?

Postby Fastmax32168 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:42 am

I am trying to decide what to do about the door bars for my Monza street car. If I run a pro street style door bar it will have to be fairly low, only 5 or so inches off of the sill. I could run a much higher bar that ran above the armrest but with a swing out.
I know both of these are a compromise, but is there an advantage to one in structural rigidity?
I am sure the swing out would do its job in the event of an accident, but does it actually supply any rigidity when you are standing on the car hard and it is trying to twist itself up? Or is there too much "give" in the pinned connection?
The low bar wont really be able to triangulate much, although I guess just having it there is going to help stiffen things up, and it would be welded solid.
Thanks
Roy
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Re: Side bars, Pro street style vs swing out?

Postby Wizeguyrc » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:01 am

FWIW. I have installed several swing out bars for customers when building roll bars and roll cages. Keeping in mind on unibody cars we had also installed frame connectors, thay haven't had any problems with flex or distortion. But also, these where street cars with less than 400 to 500 lbs of torque and rairly ran slicks at the strip. As far as the low side bar is concerned, I've never had to do one that way. I would'nt want to just because the rule book states that the side bar has to pass between the shoulder and the elbow and you never know when you might want your car to pass inspection. But you may not be concerned with this.
Wizeguyrc

Re: Side bars, Pro street style vs swing out?

Postby overkillrc » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:01 pm

another thing to consider if you do swingouts (thats what i would do in your case) is add a rocker bar that will help stiffen things up a lot. add that to subframe connectors and you will have a good stiff car.
overkillrc

Return to Racing Chassis