seam weld Vega body? Frame connectors

Moderator: Moderators

seam weld Vega body? Frame connectors

Postby 67shovel » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:59 pm

I've read about seam welding the spot welded uni body and I'm at a good point to do that on my 73 Vega wagon. Not building anything to radical, 350 hp SBC, 700r4 auto with a Blazer rear end. So I was going to run aroound the frt fender well upright braces and under the hood on the frame (so called) sections. Should I get under the car and do the the pieces under the front floor pans too? Rockers? How about in the rear, do the rear control arm mounts. And finally, I've got the interior gutted, is there anything that I can do to stiffen it up? Weld up the joints on the pillars? It's a wagon and it's got rust issues that I'm addressing. I've had to patch in the drivers side lower floor pans but the rockers seem totaly solid. I read here that you should stitch weld (1") your seams but I had thought that I would have to do a continues bead everywhere.
I have also planned on a little extra in the form off a home made frame stiffener that I'd weld along the rocker. Thinkng about something like a 1-1/2" x 1" wide retangular tubing welded along the rocket seems with a plate welded to the front members under the front floor pans and on the other end, pick up the lower control arm bolts. I'll move the gas and brake lines accordingly.
I'm I getting way ahead of my horse power here?
Thanks,
Roger
79 Monza wagon Pro street, cage tubs narrowed 9
73 GT Vega wagon street car 355 700r4 a/c
68 RS Z/28 302
67 SS 396
Cobra replica
65 Corvair Corsa midengine 301
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share.do? ... =RETRIEVED
67shovel

Re: seam weld Vega body? Frame connectors

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:21 pm

It certainly can't hurt to weld all the seams and if you have the ability to do it I would say go for it. I Believe they mean just stitch weld 1" at a time to avoid warping. It would certainly also give you plenty of welding practice. :D
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby speedphreake » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Weld a 1" bead, leaving a few inches between welds. No need for continuous weld. Put some beads where ever there are seams, especially the rear suspension mounting points. Not sure how the wagon floor compares to a hatchback, but a 1 1/2" round tube fits up along the inside of the rocker very well from the front frame area to rear wheel well opening. I stitch welded along the rocker, anywhere else it made contact on the inner side and added a plate that went from the tube up to the seat area for more support.

I don't think this would be over building for your power, but allowing room to grow down the road with out having to redo anything.
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby 67shovel » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm starting to weld it up tonight after work.
68 RS Z/28 302
67 SS 396
Cobra replica
67shovel

Postby chevy art » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:29 pm

hey 67 shovel. one of my buddies has owned vegas for over 25 years and has two of them now that have strengthened rockers. he cuts open the rocker panel at the very rear, near the wheelwell and slides a rectangular piece of steel all the way to the front. in not sure of the dimensions, but its a standard size and fits snug . then re drills holed un der sill plate and i believe on the inside area(under car) and rosette welds the new metal to the existing body pan. other guys drill little holes in top of rocker and inject a foam in there that hardens and suppossedly stiffens the frame in this area. let us know what you think of these ideas art
chevy art

Postby 67shovel » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:44 pm

Slide the member into the rocker? Hey, now that's an idea. I'll look into that tonight also. Neat trick! Thank you Art
68 RS Z/28 302
67 SS 396
Cobra replica
67shovel

Postby chevy art » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:54 pm

could have sworn it was a 2x3 rectangular metal stock. that is a standard size (ithink) you could also fab your own if it is a slightly different size inside the rocker. let us know what you see int there 67 shovel art
chevy art

Postby chevy art » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:57 pm

ps Mevavega has said many times that is is real important to cross brace and of your framerails. a good example would be 2 crossmembers, one in front and one towards rear. these could also serve as driveshaft loops. i always us 2 loops on any car. art
chevy art

Postby 1100kaw » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Just my thoughts. I have already stitch welded everything i could under the hood area. I am now ready to move torwards the rear. I plan on using 1x3x1/8 box down the rockers. ( laying flat, not up on edge). it appears the only floorpan cuts to do this will be the rear footwell area and slightly into the seatbelt reinforcement plate to allow it to tuck nicely. Should be bearly visable form the side veiw. The 1x3 will match up real nice with the 3x3 i plan on useing to box in the lower control arm mounts. The 1x3 will be contour fitted to the front area right behind front wheels. welded to rocker pinch weld and floor pan everywhere possible. Im thinking this will also allow me to cut alot of the floorpan brace that goes from front footwell area to front lower control arm area, to gain exhaust room. I will also add rear crossmember between the 3x3 lower arm mounts.
Keep in mind, this hatch, not wagon. floor pan may be just a little different. IDK
Feed back on my plan very welcome as well.
Thanks
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Postby Rickracer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:29 am

Hey Darrel, if you check out my Project Journal thread, I did the same thing you're talking about, but I used 1 1/2"x3", and set my rear 4 link sub frame crossmember on top of that. It was contoured into the pinch weld at the front, and welded all the way along it's length, inside and out. It does hang below the pinch weld seam a little bit, but if anything, to me, it looks better than the stock pinch weld. 8)
Rickracer
ASE Master Auto Technician, 36+ years
'76 Vega Notchback, Twin Turbo 355/TH350 (soon to be a Powerglide w/Brake), 4 link, Koni Coilovers, 3.50 geared 9" w/Spool & Moser Axles, drag only, best all motor 1/8 mile pass to date, 6.90@99mph, 6.57@107.0 on a 60 shot, Best 1/4, 9.66@139.78, still tuning...
Project Album: http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i4/Ri ... 20Begins/'
93 S10 RCSB, Hyd. Roller Vortec head 363 ci SBC, 2800stall lockup 700R4, LS Front Brakes, Narrowed F*rd Exploder 8.8 disc brake 3.73 posi rear, 8.0s@89 mph, (all motor, haven't sprayed it yet...)and tows the Vega to the track too
Rickracer

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Postby chevy art » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:14 pm

i had a similar ide to use 1x3 as my subframe(because of its low profile) my frien that has a steel fab shop says that the 1x3 on flat is not real strong. perhaps a little thiecer (or) welding a 1x1 square stodk inside the 1x3(with rosette welds) you still have the low profile with a little added strength. just a thought art
chevy art

Postby my79monza » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:54 pm

I wouldn't use anything smaller than Rickracer @ 1 1/2 x 3 and would try and get around 3/16 to 1/4 wall thickness which should give all the strength needed and yet not protrude too far below the pinch weld.
The main issue is welding it to the factory pads on the unibody as they are more suited for a 2" wide piece rather than 3"
Probably could take a 2" piece and notch it into the main runner.
I was considering using angle iron pieces along the main runner and bolt it up thru the floor with a 1/4" plate on the inside where possible to add strength.
Just ideas, could use the San Antonio connectors but they are turned the wrong way and hang lower.
Dunno

Merle
my79monza

Postby Fastmax32168 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:39 pm

67shovel wrote: I have also planned on a little extra in the form off a home made frame stiffener that I'd weld along the rocker. Thinkng about something like a 1-1/2" x 1" wide retangular tubing welded along the rocket seems with a plate welded to the front members under the front floor pans and on the other end, pick up the lower control arm bolts. I'll move the gas and brake lines accordingly.
I'm I getting way ahead of my horse power here?
Thanks,
Roger

Roger, Look about 3/4 of the way down the first page in my project journal and you will see I did something almost like what you are talking about here with 2 x 2 square stock

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29043

Roy
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby 1100kaw » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:43 pm

Good input.
I just didnt want to go overboard and add a lot of weight. 1x3 flat for a stand alone frame...., naw. but, added to an already decent platform i thought should be plenty. 1x3x1/8 tied into the pinchweld and pan, then crossmembered at rear. Hell, i thought that was overkill.
I mean, talk n street car here. no tubs.
i will do some more research, and think it out a bit for sure.
thanks
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Postby NVEGAR8D » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:35 am

Hi,
you guys with your southern cars are lucky. my rocker panels were repared at some time by the previous owner, and so i have to cut them off .poor quality job done. i'll be joining front and back frames together from the inside with 1x2 x1/8th sqr. down the inside of thenew thicker rockers that my son in law made for me.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Next

Return to Racing Chassis