Cage and seat placement for drivers over 6'

Moderator: Moderators

Cage and seat placement for drivers over 6'

Postby gw grizzly » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:23 pm

:twisted: I'm new at owning a 72 Vega and 6'5". I would like some input on installing a comp eng 8pt cage and recarra high bck reclining buckets.Just wondering if there are any tricks to getting the most leg and head room. Would also like to reinforce the chassis and suspension. Want to go fast and still use a stock type chassis. I don't want to back half this car. I am not totally foreign to this type of work , but I've always worked on mopar a and b bodies. I have a decent start wit a clean body, 327/th350 and a 12 bolt with 4:10 gears. I've looked at Cavemans cage thread and a few others,have been impressed with the craftsmanship and cooperation I have seen on this site.
gw grizzly

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Re: Cage and seat placement for drivers over 6'

Postby megavega » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:15 am

you have a couple options,

1.) lay the main hoop back at a angle to get more headroom.

2.) use a curved crossbar on the main hoop and it will allow you to set the seat back further. You can incorporate the layed back main hoop and the curved crossbar if your really tall. This is commonly used on small compact cars like opel gt's chevettes,etc. for larger drivers. These are NHRA legal.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

Re: Cage and seat placement for drivers over 6'

Postby gw grizzly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:30 am

megavega wrote:you have a couple options,

1.) lay the main hoop back at a angle to get more headroom.

2.) use a curved crossbar on the main hoop and it will allow you to set the seat back further. You can incorporate the layed back main hoop and the curved crossbar if your really tall. This is commonly used on small compact cars like opel gt's chevettes,etc. for larger drivers. These are NHRA legal.

Thanks for the input. Never thought of laying back the hoop, was thinking it had to be straight up and down to be legal.
gw grizzly

Return to Racing Chassis