backhalfing a wagon

Moderator: Moderators

backhalfing a wagon

Postby Tboneeus » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:42 am

Thinking of backhalfing my 75 wagon. I want to buy a fully welded four link backhalf and install it myself. My question is what did everyone else do as far as tying it into the unibody at he front of the B/H section. If somebody could post some pic's of how they did it, and how well it's holding up I would greatly appreciate it.
Tboneeus

Re: backhalfing a wagon

Postby 77nighthawk » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:31 pm

This is an unwelded kit, but the instruction pdf has some decent b&w pics that may give you some ideas. Scroll down to the unwelded frame packages, and click on the vega one. I know this isn't quite what you were asking for, but it's the best info I could come up with. Hope this helps.

Brad

http://www.swracecars.com/sw-race-cars/ ... ction.aspx
If it don't scare me, I don't want it.

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Postby Tboneeus » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:07 am

thanks for the reply, I have been researching this and came a crossed the S&W, Alston & don hardy install instructions. Looking at a back half 4 link frame from checkered racing 2X3 jig welded frame w/ Teflon rod ends, QA1 proma star coil overs, 9" rear / posi unit, axels and disc brakes complete for $3200.00 Sounded really good. Anybody ever use their stuff?
Tboneeus

Postby TOM71VEGA » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Tboneeus wrote:thanks for the reply, I have been researching this and came a crossed the S&W, Alston & don hardy install instructions. Looking at a back half 4 link frame from checkered racing 2X3 jig welded frame w/ Teflon rod ends, QA1 proma star coil overs, 9" rear / posi unit, axels and disc brakes complete for $3200.00 Sounded really good. Anybody ever use their stuff?

I am thinking about using the same one you listed. Been looking at it for awhile, and might order it later this month.
When I added up the price of a bolt in 9 inch rear end, with the tubular control arms and re enforcing all the mounts.
The back half is only a couple hundred more.
Let me know if you order one first, Ron seems really nice when I spoke with him.
TOM71VEGA

1971 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Tboneeus » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:39 pm

I probably won't be ordering until spring. Unless I get my garage built soon. If you get one please keep me posted. I spoke with someone down there who sounded like they knew what they were talking about. I like the fact that they'll make any size spec'ed at no extra charge, and nobody else can touch their prices. I guess there a new company and their prices will go up as they become known. Which makes me want to order soon.
Tboneeus

I probably won't be ordering until spring. Unless I get my garage built soon. If you get one please keep me posted. I spoke with someone down there who sounded like they knew what they were talking about. I like the fact that they'll make any size spec'ed at no extra charge, and nobody else can touch their prices. I guess there a new company and their prices will go up as they become known. Which makes me want to order soon.
Tboneeus

Tboneeus

Postby jcrider » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:30 am

I have backhalfed 2 cars with parts from checkered racing. One was a 64 Nova, the other a Vega wagon. I used un welded frame kits. The Nova was done with l;adder bars and the wagon got a 4 link. Their stuff isn't quite as smooth as some of the big name suppliers, but they worked well and I have no complaints.
jcrider

Postby TOM71VEGA » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:59 am

jcrider wrote:I have backhalfed 2 cars with parts from checkered racing. One was a 64 Nova, the other a Vega wagon. I used un welded frame kits. The Nova was done with l;adder bars and the wagon got a 4 link. Their stuff isn't quite as smooth as some of the big name suppliers, but they worked well and I have no complaints.

What wall tubing do they use, is it the .083 or the .125 wall.
I am thinking about the fully welded 2x3 4 link system.
Was it binding up while driving, or just crappy rod ends.
Thanks
TOM71VEGA

1971 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby jcrider » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:57 pm

It's been to long to remember the wall thickness on the tubing. I guess I should have been more clear on what I was saying. The smoothness I was talking about was with the way the brackets and such were cut. Kinda looked like they were cut out with a torch. As far as function and ride quality, I have no complaints at all. And I ran some low 6 second 1/8 miles with the Wagon
jcrider

Return to Racing Chassis