Quick poll about For Sale forum

Moderator: Moderators

What should I do in the For Sale/Wanted forums?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:59 am

Delete all non-compliant threads on sight without warning.
13%
Delete all non-compliant threads after a 24 hour warning.
47%
Delete nothing. Issue warnings only.
13%
Delete nothing and make it Buyer Beware.
28%

Total votes : 47

Quick poll about For Sale forum

Postby ColinOpseth » Mon May 30, 2011 4:59 am

OK,
It seems like every time I hit the For Sale forum I see a ton of threads that aren't following the rules. Take the poll and tell me what I should do. I hate to be crass, but my vote goes for deletion on sight. Rules are rules. My worry is that some guy will take his parts elsewhere. Tough call so you guys get the ultimate choice. :)

The poll will run for two weeks. You get one vote and it can't be changed.
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Re: Quick poll about For Sale forum

Postby cjbiagi » Mon May 30, 2011 8:42 am

I think we are all capable of making out own decisions when buying anything on the internet. As far as I know there has been no real issues with people on this site so I really don't understand why we need so many rules. If someone or something looks suspicious that's one thing, but for the most part we all know who is on this site on a regular basis and there's no reason to make listing something a big deal. I just like to keep things simple, if there's problems I am not aware of then maybe that's another story, however this is a great site with great people and I just don't see the issue.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Wizeguyrc » Mon May 30, 2011 3:04 pm

cjbiagi wrote:I think we are all capable of making out own decisions when buying anything on the internet. As far as I know there has been no real issues with people on this site so I really don't understand why we need so many rules. If someone or something looks suspicious that's one thing, but for the most part we all know who is on this site on a regular basis and there's no reason to make listing something a big deal. I just like to keep things simple, if there's problems I am not aware of then maybe that's another story, however this is a great site with great people and I just don't see the issue.

DITTO.

If it's an issue about being scammed, how about making it a policy that you need a certain number of post before you can sell. That way you should be able to see through anyone who doesn't have any interest in these types of cars and parts.
Wizeguyrc

Postby ROB » Mon May 30, 2011 3:30 pm

I agree with the above. Let's keep it simple. And you need 25 posts to even see the for sale section anyway. Maybe raise it to 100 to make sure he/she is and/or will be hanging around as a regular, and we will all get a chance to know them by then.

Rob
1976 Cosworth Vega, #2825
I'm not a purist, this is gonna have a V8.
ROB

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby gotmud7 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:06 am

I think if someone has a H-body part and stumbles on this site, they should be able to try and sell it. I don't really care if they want to hang around, or if they just want to clean out the shop of old Vega parts. Mark
The only Vega's that only had a little rust were the ones still on the assembly line.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby BadBowtie » Tue May 31, 2011 12:33 am

I think its hard to decide because I'm ok with members I've associated with or regard as senior members with project cars but new members should definitely need to do it. Maybe we can just leave it as is and if a member finds the sale odd or weird in some way we can "report" it and you come in and request for more pictures with a sig card (or we can straight up ask ourselves). I'm sure you don't have the time to chase after everyone.
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby NVEGAR8D » Tue May 31, 2011 12:46 am

Hi,
that looks like a left hander!
looks like the majority has spoken.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby spencerforhire » Tue May 31, 2011 5:57 am

I think the User Feedback section of our forum is doing a good job keeping all the "regulars" honest; nobody wants negative comments after a sale. We all know that we should be cautious when buying from "strangers"(new members), so I'm not sure a minimum number of posts needs to be enforced.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Fastmax32168 » Tue May 31, 2011 6:31 am

gotmud7 wrote:I think if someone has a H-body part and stumbles on this site, they should be able to try and sell it. I don't really care if they want to hang around, or if they just want to clean out the shop of old Vega parts. Mark

What he said.
Roy
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby Stonebird » Tue May 31, 2011 9:26 am

I'm also in favor of opening it up and making it buyer beware. There's already too many :censored: rules and regulations in our society. People need to learn to look out for themselves, quit relying on big brother, mommy & daddy for protection. And another thing, I really hate finding a site while searching for a part or some info and not being able to view pictures or see the rest of the posts without joining their group. I don't want to join their damn group and keep track of another user name and password, I just want to read a thread. Really turns me off of the site when you need to jump through a bunch of hoops just to look.
Stonebird

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby my79monza » Tue May 31, 2011 9:55 am

Effective immediately (November 28, 2009), all pictures must contain a piece of paper with the seller's username and a date written clearly and legibly. If we can't read it, it isn't there. If the username and date is not clearly visible in the photo, the thread will be deleted on sight.

I haven't seen this requirement on any other forum I belong to, I try to find a logical reason for this and come up blank.
If I post something it is already apparant where it came from and adding this paper I find to be :censored: as it makes no sense at all to me.

gotmud7 wrote:
I think if someone has a H-body part and stumbles on this site, they should be able to try and sell it. I don't really care if they want to hang around, or if they just want to clean out the shop of old Vega parts. Mark

I agree, it case one hasn't noticed parts are not getting easier to locate for our H-bodys.

The system isn't broken but it may need a little tweaking, I realize that the administrators of this site put their heart and soul into their duties and I commend them for that but I think it could be loosened up a tad.

Stonebirds comments may be a little blunt but I know where he is coming from and don't think he is too far off from the feelings of many of us.

Colin and gang your work is appreciated so don't take any sugestions offered here personal.

Merle
my79monza

Postby overkillrc » Tue May 31, 2011 10:15 am

i think a pic and a price should be required beyond that?? the user name and date doesn't matter to me i try and follow the rules and am fine with them it's not that hard to follow them. i guess i don't entirely follow them because i don't us a piece of paper i edit the photo and add my name and the date. not using a pic is just hurting you selling it in some cases and there is no excuse to not post a pic......"i don't know how to post pics".......figure it out, it's not that hard........"i don't have a camera".......yea right, give me a break.......
overkillrc

Postby Stonebird » Tue May 31, 2011 12:09 pm

Merle,
I think the reason for the picture with name and date was to prove the seller actually has the part, but that still doesn't mean they're trustworthy. I think the "minimum number of posts required to sell stuff" rule can make us look like a bunch of elitist a-holes trying to keep people out. Many new people that find this site are probably looking to buy or sell parts. If we make them wait they will just go elsewhere, or clutter the site with junk posts just to get their numbers up. I've been around this site and "V8 monza" site before for a long time, but I never posted much. I don't think number of posts is a good criteria. I don't think it should be the administrators job hold everyones hand regarding "for sale" ads. Buyer beware and kick off any crooks.
Stonebird

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe

Postby megavega » Tue May 31, 2011 6:04 pm

I have a garage full of vega stuff, in the past have not sold more then 2 or 3 things in years. If its a problem selling without posting pics of every single item here with a sig card ,ok..., no problem, delete my for sale post.
I will say this though, If I am going to go thru that much to sell, I am going to sell to get more dollar so I mise well just use ebay and get more money per item then selling to someone who needs the part to get thier car going. On ebay people buy just collecting parts and hoarding on the lazymans junkyard. I know the stuff wont sell for as much here because typicly the h body guys are cheap...lol.....but its not really about making a bunch of money if it gets someone up and goin on thier car.

You can pretty much tell who has too good of a deal to be true and you have to use your own judgement when buying off the net, if the seller wont give you his contact phone number and other information,just stay away. I always ask for a pic if i am buying from an unknown/trusted person so theres no suprise when the ups man backs into the drive. If a seller wont do this stuff then likely he/she is out to scam people. Also paypal is the best way to buy or trnasfer funds because you at least have a way to go back on the seller if they misrepresent stuff or try to scam you.

just my opinion, others have differnt ones.....
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby classic_cruiser » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:11 am

I agree with the "buyer beware", leave all posts as is approach. Adding more rules does little to protect the buyer anyway, as ultimately the negotiation is between the buyer and seller, not this website. It's the buyer's responsibility to make sure the deal is legit.

By the way, i can't see the voting buttons for the poll... might be an IE6 thing. Where i work, we're kinda outdated... :)
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Next

Return to Electrical and Wiring