are these new members legit-------------MODERATORS----------

Notices, bug reports, etc. about the forums

Moderator: Moderators

are these new members legit-------------MODERATORS----------

Postby mldeolde » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:43 am

# 351,352,355 356,360- AM I JUST COMPUTER DUMB OR IS THIS ADVERTISING AND OR A FORM OF SPAM. NO INSULT TO ANY OF THESE PEOPLE IF THEY ARE FOR REAL H-BODY ENTHUSIASTS. MAYBE WE SHOULD INSIST ON MORE BASIC INFO LIKE VEHICLE OWNED AS A BASIC QUALIFACATION FOR MEMBERSHIP. :roll: :roll:
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby SunbirdMan » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:00 pm

looks like we got a bunch of spammer sites. Just run your curser over the www sites on the members list.
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:58 pm

MIDLEODE, SUNBIRDMAN ; I GAVE THE LIST A LOOK SEE,,,,AND YOUR RIGHT THESE ARE SUSPECT,,, MAY BE A TEST IS NEEDED AS TO SOME WAY OF REGISTATION BY VIN OR SOME WAY DISLOGING THEM DOWN STREAM!!!!! :shock: I MY SELF HAD A COUPLE OF H-BODY SITE'S I JOINED :shock: JUST TO LOOK AT THEIR, PICTURE'S,,, OF THEIR CLUB MEMBER'S CAR'S !!!! :!: THAT ALSO SOME ONE HAD JOINED AND SENT TO MY YAHOO, GROUP UNWANTED SPAMM,,,,MY FAULT THOU :idea: NOW I NO BETTER,,,MIKE :roll: :roll:
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby ColinOpseth » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:10 pm

hey guys,
I banned those accounts. From now on I will have to approve each account registration.

Later,
Colin
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby vegatex » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:00 pm

ColinOpseth wrote:hey guys,
I banned those accounts. From now on I will have to approve each account registration.

Later,
Colin

Maybe we need a simple H-body quiz to qualify:

1. What were the first and last years the Vega was sold? What years were the Monza sold?

2. What engine was in all Vegas except the Cosworth?

3. True or False- The Monza was made in Japan and had a rotary engine.

4. Essay-- Explain the signifigance of the torque arm rear suspension on subsequent GM vehicle design. Cite specific examples.

:D

Dave
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Postby peterpan » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:05 pm

i have been around awhile and i'm still not sure what the last year of the vega was

#1- 77 ?
#2- 2300 ?
#3- false
#4- camaro rear suspension
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby ColinOpseth » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:45 pm

Well, got 2 registrations. One is spam for sure. I declined that one and emailed the other registrant.
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby ozzymoose » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:39 am

I agree guys you need to get these spammers away
by any meens possible EXCEPT making them enter
a VIN or prove ownership would stop ppl like me
joining from OS or otherwise that are fans and dont
have one yet or are still on their serach for one!!

Cheers guys just my 2 cents worth on this one!
If it aint broke hit it with a sledge hammer!!
ozzymoose

Postby zeke » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:31 am

Forum spammers r the latest in internet scumbags. I have to delete 4 to 5 accounts a day from the one I take care of. Sometimes they r automated programs that search out register pages and sign up whereever they can. I see the same bogus member names here as well as on OTC somedays.

With the software as it is, the only way to keep them from posting their garbage is by setting new user activation to administrator instead of automatic. :evil:

I'm hoping phpbb3 will deal with this issue with the inclusion of questions like stated above or some other method.

With the crackdown on email spam, this is the next easy target for them to get their urls listed on the net where the search bots will index them.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby mldeolde » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:52 am

thanks Colin and mike and every body else for that matter. don't want to be a pain in the a** sensitive about looseing HAMMERDOWN and don't want the site to be come a refuge for spammers and offensive individuals that would be the ruin of the site. thanks again and every body be vidgelent for stuff like this. the moderators can't catch every thing so we neen to do our part also.
mldeolde

1975 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby ColinOpseth » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:34 pm

You know, there were 4 attempts today to register spam accounts. What the hell is going on here. I had maybe...4-5 attempts on GMPerformance.org and I had well over 100 times the traffic.

Either way, I've instituted an 'admin approval' policy that will require from now on my approval.

Later,
Colin
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby spencerforhire » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:49 pm

It's too bad Colin has to resort to personally handling new registrations; it must be a real pain. Another forum I frequent(Saturnfans) has been up and down for "emergency maintenance" all weekend- I suspect they're suffering from a similar Spam attack.
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby vegatex » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:50 pm

peterpan wrote:i have been around awhile and i'm still not sure what the last year of the vega was

#1- 77 ?
#2- 2300 ?
#3- false
#4- camaro rear suspension

You get to stay! :D

Later,
Dave
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Postby ColinOpseth » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:02 pm

spencerforhire wrote:It's too bad Colin has to resort to personally handling new registrations; it must be a real pain. Another forum I frequent(Saturnfans) has been up and down for "emergency maintenance" all weekend- I suspect they're suffering from a similar Spam attack.

It's not a pain ;) If I don't like the username of the registrant I delete the email that activates the account. lmao Easy.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby peterpan » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:13 pm

thats cool i mustknow more than i thought
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Next

Return to h-body.org info