is it my computer or is anyone else having problems here

Notices, bug reports, etc. about the forums

Moderator: Moderators

Postby monzamess » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:04 pm

Carl, if I remember right, you had some other weird problem with the board... I'd have to search through the old posts to find it. I wonder if there is a problem with the way your computer or browser handles cookies?

Edit: OK, I went back and looked, it's actually the same old problem :)

I was wrong about cookies. Basically, the board only bases "new posts" on the last time you visited. It even works across computers--I can check new posts at work, come home, and check again, and it remembers the correct "last visit" time. Thus this last visit time is stored on the board here and not on your computer.

Looking at the links Colin posted, it looks like the main reason the "last visit" time gets messed up is that if you close and reopen your browser, that "last visit" time resets. I suspect any other action that essentially does a re-login (even if you don't notice it) will cause the same issue. I'll keep trying to find the cause of why this feature isn't working for you...
Dennis
1980 Monza Coupe--collector of cob webs and kids' toys
2006 Honda Odyssey--daily driver
2011 Toyota Sienna--wife's
1995 Dodge Ram--for creating oil spots on the street
monzamess

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby ColinOpseth » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:54 pm

My suggestion would be to log out when you leave the board. If you use the form complete option in your browser you probably won't have to do anything except click on the Login button when you visit the site.

Have you given Firefox a try? It is sooooo much better than Internet Explorer, and more secure too because it doesn't support ActiveX out of the box. ActiveX is a whole security hole.

Later,
colin
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cacmanjr » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:13 pm

Clyde/Monzamess, I got it to work then saved it as Clyde suggested. Seems to work everytime now. Monzamess you are dead on target with the last log on time getting reset. It would happen even when I went back and forth between threads without leaving the board. Like you say, though, it might have been re-logging me on but transparent to me. Any way it works now!!
Carl Creque
cacmanjr

1977 Buick Skyhawk

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:57 pm

Great, glad to hear that. I actually never have to log in, it's always there using this method.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby peterpan » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:59 pm

yahoo sent me a email with a enternet explorer 7 download i installed it and have had no problems sence then it must of been my computer if any one else wants it i think i saved the email from yahoo i could forward it
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Previous

Return to h-body.org info