Vote: Stay here, go back to V8Monza, or.....?

Notices, bug reports, etc. about the forums

Moderator: Moderators

What should we do with these forums?

Stay right where we are at http://www.GMPerformance.org/hbody
30%
Move to H-Body.org pronto. Thanks, Dennis!
57%
Go back to V8Monza.com with this site in hand.
7%
Start a new domain named H-BodyForums.com or something
5%

Total votes : 56

Re: h-body.org - THAT'S IT!

Postby ColinOpseth » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:54 pm

res0o7eb wrote:No new website domain name is needed. Continue to migrate to the h-body.org domain - it's the right way to go. Not monza-centric, not V-8 centric. Just add the model listing (Vega, Astre, Monza, Skyhawk, Starfire, Sunbird) and the year range (1971-1980) somewhere in the header, like you had before the current BETA logo.

I think it's EXTREMELY rare that someone with a Buick LeSabre T-Type or whatever will post here, anyway. If they do, be nice and point them to the classified section to buy an original H-body!

Dennis will not allow me to host the domain through my reseller account and I am not really willing to allow access to the mySQL database (for various reasons it would take quite a bit of explaining to cover).
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby barebonesracecars » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:24 pm

Dennis will not allow me to host the domain through my reseller account and I am not really willing to allow access to the mySQL database (for various reasons it would take quite a bit of explaining to cover).

I don't understand any of that except "Dennis will not allow" and "I am not willing".

So, can you keep control of it as-is; use his Logo; tie in the name somehow to his website; and have him post a link on his site under 'Forums'?
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Re: h-body.org - THAT'S IT!

Postby SunbirdMan » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:28 pm

ColinOpseth wrote:Dennis will not allow me to host the domain through my reseller account and I am not really willing to allow access to the mySQL database (for various reasons it would take quite a bit of explaining to cover).

I don't understand. Is this forum going to replace the forum linked at h-body.org? But with a different domain name? Can a domain name have hyphens or underscores? How long can it be? Like:

www.vega-astre-monza-skyhawk-starfire-sunbird.com
or
www.vega_astre_monza_etc.com
or
www.vega0astre0monza0skyhawk0etc.com

can we still call it "the h-body organization"?
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby Buscop » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:51 pm

ColinOpseth wrote:Well,
Would anyone have a different website domain name suggestion?

Later,
Colin

1971-1980 GM H-Body Owners Group The Canadian Flag will be replced by both flags...totally Generic.

Oops...didn't know the HBOA was taken...back to the drawing board.. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Buscop on Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Russell G Hilder
1949 Model Wife
1979 Monza Wagon
2007 Harley FLHTCU
2009 Dodge Dakota Laramie
Buscop

1979 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby barebonesracecars » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:04 pm

We can't leave out our overseas members, though.
Reid

barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby res0o7eb » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:26 pm

OK. I didn't see Dennis' earlier post. I get it. That's acceptable and basically accomplishes the same thing. It saves the historical data and allows for this cool new forum.

Russell,
I don't get the logo. HBOA = H-Body Owners Group? Shouldn't it be HBOG?
How about HOG or HBO? Uh, wait ... those may be taken already.

Reid,
Yes. That's how I understand it. Colin and Dennis can confirm their plans.

Roger,
Yes.
Sort of, it will be called forums.h-body.org and only accessible from the www.h-body.org web site, I believe.
Hyphens yes, Underscores no.
Not sure what the length limit is, but it's long enough to allow you to come up with a reasonable domain name for whatever floats your boat.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby Bacchus » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:20 pm

Guys, the term HBOA is owned by someone. Please don't use it lightly.
1974 Vega Wagon
2007 Jeep GC LTD HEMI
2002 BMW 330XI
Bacchus

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby SunbirdMan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:33 am

I like "the h-body organization" and the logo that goes with it. It has history and if Dennis wants to see it come to life I say lets go with that. Leave the HBOA to the original HBOA. (with all due respect)
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

Postby ColinOpseth » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:42 am

Alrighty.. I'll respond to a few questions and also give a bit of background on my side of the coin.

First off, if the board was hosted here but linked on H-Body.org you could load "forums.h-body.org" in your URL but you'd be forwarded to this server.

Or, an alternative would be to frame the page and have the outer frame being H-Body.org and the forum being hosted here.

Here's why I have 'some' reservations. If someone has admin access to the mySQL database it's as simple as changing the user_level field in the phpBB_users table for any user from a 0 to a 1. Upon doing that, the person will instantly become recognized as a phpBB board admin.

On the flip-side, it's as simple as changing a user with a user_level of 1 to a 0, essentially removing administratorship rights.

I offered to host H-Body.org on my server because doing so would allow Dennis to retain the H-Body.org domain, only pointing his DNS to my site. There's no way I can "steal" his domain. For example, do a WHOIS on DiamondintheRoughClothing.com That site is hosted by me but I don't own the domain.

The only way to have the forums resolve to H-Body.org is for me to upload my code to Dennis' server or for him to redirect his domain's DNS to an IP that I give him.

I would prefer to host the site as:
a) I already have great server performance
b) I already pay $44.95 per month for hosting
c) I have guaranteed bandwidth and webspace
d) My server is not on a "shared" server. I am on a co-located box with only a few "reseller" accounts. Thus, my box has less traffic and greater performance

Anyway, I've made my case. I'm not saying Dennis would remove my admin account. For me it goes beyond that. I'd just rather host the site because I'm paying a lot of money right now and don't want it to go to waste.

Later,
Colin
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby monzamess » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:23 am

ColinOpseth wrote:First off, if the board was hosted here but linked on H-Body.org you could load "forums.h-body.org" in your URL but you'd be forwarded to this server.

I'm not against doing this but I haven't heard anything from you about whether it's what you really want to do or not.

ColinOpseth wrote:Here's why I have 'some' reservations. If someone has admin access to the mySQL database it's as simple as changing the user_level field in the phpBB_users table for any user from a 0 to a 1. Upon doing that, the person will instantly become recognized as a phpBB board admin. On the flip-side, it's as simple as changing a user with a user_level of 1 to a 0, essentially removing administratorship rights.

True enough. I would not do that, but the mechanism is set up to allow it to happen, and I understand your reservations. At the same time... (see below)

ColinOpseth wrote:I offered to host H-Body.org on my server because doing so would allow Dennis to retain the H-Body.org domain, only pointing his DNS to my site. There's no way I can "steal" his domain. For example, do a WHOIS on DiamondintheRoughClothing.com That site is hosted by me but I don't own the domain.

Yes, certainly, I would still own the name "h-body.org." But that's all. All of my files would be on your server. I would need an account on your server to access those files. And at any time, that account could be disabled, denying me access to all my files. I don't think you would do that, but keeping my site where it has been for almost 6 years will more likely ensure that will not happen.

After all the work I've put into my site--not so much lately, we all know that, but it was like a second job for me when I started it up--I'm very reluctant to move it.

Also, I cannot find the exact quote now so take this with a grain of salt, but you said something along the lines of, you wanted to drop your service because some of your clients were gone and you didn't want to pay $50/mo for nothing. Don't know about you, but to me, $50 a month is not something I could commit to (though I guess you could drop down to a smaller plan). So that makes me wonder how long the hosting would be around. I apologize in advance if I read that the wrong way!

ColinOpseth wrote:Anyway, I've made my case. I'm not saying Dennis would remove my admin account. For me it goes beyond that. I'd just rather host the site because I'm paying a lot of money right now and don't want it to go to waste.

Maybe the great Revvvrun Jesse Jackson or Jimmuh Carter could intervene at this point? :)
Dennis
1980 Monza Coupe--collector of cob webs and kids' toys
2006 Honda Odyssey--daily driver
2011 Toyota Sienna--wife's
1995 Dodge Ram--for creating oil spots on the street
monzamess

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby AusRs » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:58 am

a little trust can go a long way
is it possible to have 2 admins BUT disable the part that allows one admin to lock out the other ?????
kind of strange
we had bob,s site (and still do )
we have H body org (and still do)
and we have this great site that will go no where untill it gets a permanent home ..........or stay as it is and further fragment the H body people
to me ONE site with ALL the information (something like www.thirdgen.org is to f bodies)..but have a non tech board as well :)

maybe Dennis and Colin should get together and have a deep and meaningfull discussion to decide whether they can work together ......if they cant we do have a problem !!! a BIG one
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby monzaman69 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:04 am

ColinOpseth wrote:Or, an alternative would be to frame the page and have the outer frame being H-Body.org and the forum being hosted here.

Best idea for all parties involved.

No worries on either person's side. You each keep your own server, and can work together on integration of the two.

Just my .02

Adam
Adam
1975 Monza 2+2 Basket Case

Gone, but not forgotten:
1977 Monza Mirage
1978 Pontiac Sunbird Notchback
monzaman69

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby barebonesracecars » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:28 am

My opinion: this site must stay alive and viable, in some shape or form. It works too well.

Also, I personally now would like to see it tied to Dennis' organization. He and many of you have been around longer than I, but from what I'm hearing, his appears to be the 'original' site. Fine; let's build on that.

At least the two of you are airing your reservations clearly and apparently honestly. Most importantly, you're both being civil about it.

I don't think you're that far apart. Sounds like a matter of getting to know one another better, understanding each other, becoming comfortable, and coming together on a solution. You're both speaking a 'language' I don't fully comprehend, but obviously you both do.....time for a phone conversation! Keep talking, guys. Dialogue is needed now.

My opinion. :D
Last edited by barebonesracecars on Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reid

barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby SunbirdMan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:37 am

monzamess wrote:
ColinOpseth wrote:First off, if the board was hosted here but linked on H-Body.org you could load "forums.h-body.org" in your URL but you'd be forwarded to this server.

I'm not against doing this but I haven't heard anything from you about whether it's what you really want to do or not.

Sounds like the best solution. Why don't we go with that for now and see how it works out?
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

Postby fyrftr50 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:20 am

I've gotta agree with the last few posters. Colin and Dennis need a face-to-face talk about this, that way they can really hash out the ideas they each have going, it is just too difficult to get a good dialogue going via email or the forum.

I still like the H-Body.org idea, as I've stated, I think all traffic should have gone there, rather than V8monza from the very beginning.

Besides, looking at the future/bigger picture, if we all wanted to make this into a legit "club" then it would need a website that encompasses all H-Body cars (for example, mine and V8monza do not) and the forum must be included with that. Of course I cannot speak for Dennis or Colin about the added time commitments a joining would bring, especially if the "club" status were to be added in future.

Most importantly, it needs to be somewhere that will exist for the long haul and not be neglected and let go after a short run (like so many personal h-body sites out there). Dennis hasn't had the opportunity to make a lot of changes lately (beleive me, I know how much time/effort/money it takes to keep a site up and running, and constantly adding and maintaining and mine has slipped too) BUT his has been up and running for many years now with, I beleive, no intention of letting it go and dissapear. Colin needs to do the same, not start it now and let it slide after a year or so (which I doubt he'd do either)

I don't know all the technical stuff the 2 guys have been spouting but we'll need to know if Dennis' site can handle the bandwidth for the added traffic that this forum would bring, if linked or framed together, etc. I do think the frames idea (similar to V8monza/EZ Board I take it?) could solve both issues each guy has about possibly losing rights/privilages/etc. Do both sites NEED to be hosted by the same person or can both co-exist with seperate admins but in one place? Dennis has the old php board already so he'd make a good moderator with Cliff on the forum, especially if it is linked or attached to H-Body.org.

This is above most of our heads anyways (at least mine, lol) so ... Colin, Dennis, pow-wow ... now!!!

Bryan
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

PreviousNext

Return to h-body.org info