Vote: Stay here, go back to V8Monza, or.....?

Notices, bug reports, etc. about the forums

Moderator: Moderators

What should we do with these forums?

Stay right where we are at http://www.GMPerformance.org/hbody
30%
Move to H-Body.org pronto. Thanks, Dennis!
57%
Go back to V8Monza.com with this site in hand.
7%
Start a new domain named H-BodyForums.com or something
5%

Total votes : 56

Vote: Stay here, go back to V8Monza, or.....?

Postby ColinOpseth » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:42 am

OK guys,
I have a feeling I know the answer to this question but I want feedback from you all. I really want you guys to vote so I will be sending a mass email with a link to this thread.

I have decided there should be a decision made about this forum. Since you guys are the ones that make this forum successful I want you all to be instrumental in the decision where we go from here.

We have four choices:
1) Stay here at http://www.GMPerformance.org/hbody. If we do so we can move the site to http://www.GMPerformance.org but keep in mind we'll get people registering who probably don't own H-Bodies. Also, it will be harder for non-users to find this site because it is not a root level site. Forums run on root level domains (i.e. http://www.GMPerformance.org) tend to get higher search engine placement.

2) I have been in touch with Dennis Brown over at H-Body.org. I made him an offer I hope he can't refuse. He has agreed to allow his domain to be the new home for this board. In essence, you will see this board when you load http://www.H-Body.org . He will allow me to retain full administrative rights of the board. The transition will be simple and seamless for many of you. For about a month I will have a forwarding script send you to H-Body.org if you try to load this forum.

3) We go back to V8Monza.com and I give Bob this board as a zipfile and let him do what he wishes.

4) Start a new website named http://www.H-BodyForums.com or something. The bad part is we may fracture the community.

Now, I have my own personal feelings invested here but I will keep them out of this thread. I want feedback from you all, even if it's only a vote. This is a very important decision to make so don't carelessly vote. Think about what you want. Think about what you would want others to want. And think about where you think H-Bodies will be in another 25 years.

Keep in mind that preservation of these vehicles should be protected at any cost. President Ronald Reagan once said, "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere as long as the policy you've decided upon is being carried out."

I will abide by what you all decide.
Sincerely,
Colin Opseth
Administrator, Vega enthusiast and Friend of you all
Last edited by ColinOpseth on Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

I wish there was one correct answer.

Postby stage169 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:28 am

phpBB rocks no doubt. Number #2 sounds great but I would include the link to v8monza.com. To me all would be the same (for the most part) with the added advantages of phpBB. It would be nice to hear Bob's input also. Brian
stage169

Postby Fastmax32168 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:30 am

I dont see one there I like. Being the V8 Monza board was our original intent but if going back there involves Colin giving up control of the board and having it go back to being unmoderated then that is a bad idea. I think more peace talks are required.
Roy
80 Monza Cabriolet coupe
94 Corvette Convertible LT-1 500+ HP
Trailblazer EXT LS6 powered
1991 K1500 6.0 LS swapped
Fastmax32168

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby Buscop » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:58 am

I was just at H-Body.org and the site has been hacked...again. There is a stupid picture of a gull all over the place.
Russell G Hilder
1949 Model Wife
1979 Monza Wagon
2007 Harley FLHTCU
2009 Dodge Dakota Laramie
Buscop

1979 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby AusRs » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:05 am

Fastmax32168 wrote:I dont see one there I like. Being the V8 Monza board was our original intent but if going back there involves Colin giving up control of the board and having it go back to being unmoderated then that is a bad idea. I think more peace talks are required.
Roy

i tend to agree with that
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Use Dennis Brown's Site

Postby vega_man_larry » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:20 am

We have been using the site that Bob Gumm provided for a few years now. He has been getting the advertising value and we have had a place to exchange ideas. The negative thing about that is that the car magazines are reluctant to list the site in their write ups about H Bodies because it provides a commercial site (what Bob's site is) with free advertising. The main group of H Body enthusiaists is never identified. Granted Car Craft once mentioned the site but that has been it. Hemmings has done some nice H Body articles without identifying where the bulk of the H Body Community lives, because it would conflict with their paid advertisers.

I have no axe to grind for or against V8Monza.com or Bob. He has provided me with parts and services. I have participated in designing a Vega radiator that he holds the intellectual rights to and have paid my own money to ship the prototype back and forth between my home and the fabricator's facility. I feel our give and take to be balanced and since Bob organized the radiator effort I have rescinded any rights I have to my design. I have no animosity towards Bob and Delores and thank them for their past efforts.

Prior to the migration to V8monza.com we inhabited the various Yahoo clubs (there were quite a few) and untill Yahoo drastically changed their format we were content to hang out there. We moved to Bob's site to become advertising free. Now we need a site that is hacker free that has an active oversight. I sympathize with Bob and his situation, however the general consensus here seems to be that the technology is past it's prime, and Bob has more important things to consider than actively administrating a bulliten board.

I'd recommend we move to Dennis Brown's site if he will have us. I would also recommend that we remain free of advertisers. We can establish links to all the H Body specific parts we can find on the web including Bob's parts. Then we will all need to help support the site with an annual contribution. Becoming a non commercial site will allow us to be identified more easily by the automotive media and help the H Body movement to grow.

We may want to look at some of the rules used by other forums such as "Corvette Forum". They have some rigidly established rules for posting on their site as well as srtict rules for their "For Sale" section. Anything not related to Corvettes is deleted. Also all "For Sale" parts must have a price attached and the first posted reply gets priority for the buy.

This is just my opinion, and opinions are like bellybuttons.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Postby MB77Monza » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:33 am

What Larry said.

Michael
MB77Monza

Poll

Postby vegatex » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:43 am

I'm for going to H-body.org,because that's where I was able to get Dennis to host my two web pages. But in reality, either option 1 or 2 works. I hated EZ Board, but was a regular at V8 Monza because that's where everyone else was! Still, I had a lot of people who found my stuff on H-body.org because of internet searches. Put me down for option 2, but I think the group will be OK even if we go with option 1.

Dave
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Postby greg72 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:10 am

It frustrates me that this has been going on now for over a year. V8Monza .com is a great site, but ezboard sucks. Everyone agrees on this yet we still struggle with getting ezboard replaced.

This forum SHOULD be used to replace ezboard on V8Monza.com. That would be my first choice. However of the 4 choices listed , I will choose #2 . It ties the forum to a known hbody website and is the closest one to what I would see as the ideal choice , combing the fourm with V8Monza.com. (and for that matter I agree with Roy).

(although Larry does bring up some interesting points regarding commercialization)
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby peterpan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:04 am

my 2 cents

try to replace ezboard with this and keep colin one of the people in charge he definitly knows his way around a computer and has built a good site here but i started in the h-body world at v8monza and got alot of my info from the site and the people there witch most of the people are here to but i would like to show some loyilty to v8monza and say try to merge but sense bob is busy with life right now we need some one present to watch over the place

also i think being able to post more than h-body questions or parts is a good thing because i don't just own h bodies i have 18 cars and trucks
2 camaros and alot of chevy trucks it should focus on h bodies but not exclude a unrelated thing every now and then
IF IT BECOMES THAT STRICT THEN COUNT ME OUT

this has turned into a pissing match
i like v8monza just not ez board
and i like this site and colin seems to be a great guy
thats my 2 cents i'm going to sit back and wait to see what happens
Last edited by peterpan on Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Quarter Flash » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:07 am

Number Two
1980 Monza drag car in progress. Started with a shell no floor. Jeg's chassis kit, power glide, 406 engine, and Olds\Pontiac rear. Have progress pics if you ask.
Quarter Flash

Postby SunbirdMan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:37 am

I've always liked the idea of gathering at h-body.org. But I think the greatest resource we have as an online community is Colin Opseth. He talked the talk and he delivered big time. If Dennis brown is willing to replace his forum with this one thats how I'm voting.
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby nice77mirage » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:05 am

I also voted for the h-body.org change. I've always liked that site, and check for new messages there on a daily basis. I've often wondered why the forum there never had much traffic.

All the information available on that site makes it a natural marriage for an active forum.

Kudos to Dennis and Colin if they can make it happen.

It's my understanding from what Colin said earlier that when you click on h-body.org that you will go straight to the new forum. Will there be a link to the home page of h-body.org? Or, will you go to the home page then click on the forum link like you do now?
nice77mirage

H-Body org

Postby Buscop » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:23 am

Buscop wrote:I was just at H-Body.org and the site has been hacked...again. There is a stupid picture of a gull all over the place.

I don't know what is going on but that stupid bird is gone and were back to normal....can I change my vote back to #2.??

If I type in http://h-body.org/ I get the proper site, if I use the link in message # 1 I get the bird??
Last edited by Buscop on Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Russell G Hilder
1949 Model Wife
1979 Monza Wagon
2007 Harley FLHTCU
2009 Dodge Dakota Laramie
Buscop

1979 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby mastiff » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:26 am

I voted to stay here. colin has done a terrific job. it's easy to navigate, make a post and quick replies. any kind of changes that have ben requested as far as i can tell has been delt with a quick response. also seems like there is a lot of good people here. great conversation, knowledge, and humor. yup, here's where I'll stay. thanks for asking though.
Doug
(Mastiff)
mastiff

Next

Return to h-body.org info