h-body Community Tools idea

Notices, bug reports, etc. about the forums

Moderator: Moderators

h-body Community Tools idea

Postby 73Sedan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:13 pm

After MUCH reading about spring compressors (and my own fear of doing this job), I manufactured my own tool for front spring removal and installation. So far, removal was a BREEZE and I'm happy to say, quite safe (I felt safe at least). I intend on trying the full compression of my new springs for installation soon so I will report on how well that goes.

But I got to thinking; if this works as well as I hope, I would be done with the tool until ?????. So why not have a sticky in the suspension forum. I.E. who has the tool today.

It starts this way:
I have the tool.
UserX needs it.
UserX looks at the sticky, finds out who has it.
UserX contacts me (last user), and pays shipping from me (last user) to himself.
UserX now "signs" for the tool in the above sticky thread.
Now UserX2 can look up and pay shipping from LastUser (UserX) to UserX2...and so on.

I have attached a pic of what I'm using.
This compressor works 2 ways.
For simple removal, the unthreaded offset bar inserts into a low coil. The threaded rod feeds through it and the shock tower hole to the upper part that has the gr8 bolt welded on. Tighten until compressed, drop a-arm, and back off rod to remove spring.

(Planned) installation: the 2 upper parts (offset) sandwich together slipped into an upper coil. The unthreaded part slips into one of the lower coils. Threaded rod feeds through lower (now with inner tube rubber slipped over to protect paint on coils) and into upper (which has guides to keep if from offsetting from center). tighten until desired compression is achieved. Insert and index spring. Attach upper/lower joints. Now, when the threaded rod is completely removed, the upper (clamps) will fall down through the shock hole in the lower a-arm.

Comments/suggestions?????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
73Sedan

Re: h-body Community Tools idea

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:32 pm

Its a cool idea, but I'll venture to shoot 2 arrows at it.....

1...I speculate that the tool would travel to maybe 5 shops before it vanished to some hit and run internet user.
Never to be located again.

2...doing this with something like a spring compressor might asking for big liability issues...

as soon as the first no-so-shadetree mechanic suffer's a major or fatal injury while using the tool, whether the tools fault or not...here come the lawyers.

Maybe good for something like a special spark plug wrench/socket
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby spyder_xlch » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:43 pm

marco_1978_spyder wrote:Its a cool idea, but I'll venture to shoot 2 arrows at it.....

1...I speculate that the tool would travel to maybe 5 shops before it vanished to some hit and run internet user.
Never to be located again.

2...doing this with something like a spring compressor might asking for big liability issues...

as soon as the first no-so-shadetree mechanic suffer's a major or fatal injury while using the tool, whether the tools fault or not...here come the lawyers.

Maybe good for something like a special spark plug wrench/socket

What he said. Plus that tool looks cheap and easy to make. If you only use it one time it probably paid for itself.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 73Sedan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:45 pm

Good arrows Marco.

I had thought of the "no show" issue, but neglected to think of the safety factor. :bang:

The tool shall remain in my possession. I don't figure I can get in trouble for displaying a photo of what works for me, right???
73Sedan

Postby monzamess » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:11 am

I think the best thing to do is put out the info so that people can make or obtain their own, and you've done that. With a picture even.

In this particular case, someone (I believe it was Bacchus) posted a tip to the old h-body Yahoo club about using a tool similar to the one you made. Basically it's a traditional spring compressor but you just don't use the top set of arms and compress the spring up against the pocket.

Anyway, this is documented in the FAQ, and I took a few pictures of my build (about 2/3 of the way down on this page: http://monzamess.h-body.org/suspension.html ).

So the big problem, I think, is how to get the community info in one spot. This board is great but it's time-based--as time goes one, stuff gets pushed back, and people ask the same questions. That's fine, we're patient people, but it's not ideal. (this is not directed at you in particular 73Sedan)

I've been thinking of turning the FAQ into a Wiki, so we can add pictures and keep it updated... more to come on that. I think.
Dennis
1980 Monza Coupe--collector of cob webs and kids' toys
2006 Honda Odyssey--daily driver
2011 Toyota Sienna--wife's
1995 Dodge Ram--for creating oil spots on the street
monzamess

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:10 pm

A few Questions for safety sake............

1)Is the threaded rod Hardened Steel?

2) is the rest of the parts Hardened Steel?

Just asking because I seen first hand what a compressed spring can due when it "launches". You dont want to be anywhere near it when it does............

My old boss in NY when I worked a a gas station in the 70's would use a car on the lift to "compress " them and tie them compressed with coat hangers. Not pretty when the coat hangers broke and the spring unloaded.

Doug in AZ 8)
HI WINDING MONZA

Return to h-body.org info