radiators

Post about where you buy H-body parts and who sells what. POST ONLY FACTS. Business reps can advertise here ONLY IF you sell H-body parts.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: radiators

Postby waybad » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:29 am

clintjohns wrote:OK SO WHAT WILL FIT A 79 SUNBIRD W/ POWER STEERING THAT IS IN A 3 CORE. i HAVE A TWO CORE NOW AND ON A SIXTEY DEGREE DAY IT STILL RUNS 190 WITH NO THERMOSTAT. SO I KNOW IT WON'T HANDLE A 98 DEG. DAY LIKE WE HAVE IN THE SOUTH. I DON'T CARE IF I HAVE TO PUT ELECTRIC FANS ON IT INSTEAD OF A ENGINE DRIVEN ONE. I ALREADY HAVE ONE ON IT PLUS THE ENGINE FAN.

If I'm not wrong :? ,, it will run cooler with a thermostat or some kind of restriction to help
slow down the water flow
Tinker
waybad

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:27 am

As far as I can tell nobody is making stock V8 Monza radiators. Your options are to find a used one that you can take to a radiator shop and have recored, save up and buy a Griffin drop in one or find a universal aluminum one and have the inlet neck modified. Personally I have been very happy with the drop in Griffin although it is expensive. Nothing is cheap or easy on these cars. More parts are being discontiued and it probably won't get any easier in the future.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby res0o7eb » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:51 am

This is a thread about Supplier Reviews of Radiators.

It has been said THREE TIMES in this thread now that these radiators WON'T FIT ONE PARTICULAR APPLICATION - a Chevrolet Small Block V-8 with Power Steering.
acstestinc wrote:Won't a straight upper outlet interfere with power steeering on a V8 H-Body?

Paul
heinz057 wrote:wont fit power steering on v8 pump is to close to the inlet
cjbiagi wrote:From those pics of all the radiators I don't see any that curve up like the V8 power steering needs.
Yes, you need a curved inlet on the drivers side to position the radiator hose upward slightly to clear the power steering pump. But, you could buy one of these MUCH CHEAPER radiators and get a new inlet put on it somewhere.

Anyway. the radiators list here - so far - will fit ALL OTHER APPLICATIONS and should cool your car even in Phoenix.
waybad wrote:Do all these mount in the same spot as the originals?
That is the assumption here. If not, then post the details of any modifications made.
I am posting what I find when I find it as I have been looking for a replacement radiator for my 1976 Skyhawk with a 231 cu. in. V-6 and A/C, so I thought I would share this information which I have spent several hours compiling. It has been said MANY TIMES on this site that this radiator is a desirable one for V-8 applications, too.
I have also been responding to this post:
BillPappy wrote:We need a list of radiators that will work in the H body cars.. I found out today a 1988-93 chevy truck radiators are very close.
28" X 18" at lest thats what was in my sunbird.. What is the stock size of a H body radiators???

Pappy
For those who have the information, please post in this thread any suppliers who have a radiator for your particular application. Post details - radiator specs, pics, prices, and links.
Last edited by res0o7eb on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:51 pm

That's why I just decided to get a "drop in" replacement. Yes, they do cost quite a bit more but there is no cutting , fabrication etc. Plus the fact that they cool so much better. Some things in life you just pay for. :?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Len » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:05 am

There have been lots of pics with rads on this thread so I thought a pic of a factory 262 auto Rad looks like. Might be helpfull
Last Roll - 5.jpg
Len
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Len
1980 spyder
1980 sunbird hatchback
Len

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Previous

Return to Supplier Reviews