Rally gages swap & dash questions

Moderator: Moderators

Rally gages swap & dash questions

Postby 77 Spyder » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:07 pm

Just currious what is all different & what years interchange?

My 77 monza dash is standard instamentation & I have an 80
rally dash cluster. From a quick look at it I can tell the wiring harness of
the 77 doesn't appear to have the extra wires for tach, etc.

The 80 harness is probably completely different anyway, so maybe using that as a comparison with the 77 is a waste of time?

The other thing, is the 80 dash gage housing (plastic) also appears
to have the provisions for gage mounting, were the 77 doesn't.

So does this mean the entire dash for a gage optioned 77, is different than a non-gaged car?

Or is it just the difference I am seeing between the 77 & 80?

Any thoughts?

Carl
77 Spyder

1977 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Guage Conversion

Postby kline1 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:47 pm

I did the guage conversion in my 78 Monza.

Basically the 76-80 Monzas with Full instrumentation used a different housing then the standard instrumentation. So there is only two different housings for the 76-80 Monzas. (75 is the odd ball year, different dash all together).

Instead of replacing the wiring harness (I did not have one), I mapped out the pin location (before and after) to the dash connector. The pins are easy to pop out and reposition.

However, you have to add a wire for the tach and a wire for the temp guage (the standard guages did not have a temp warning light but soley relied on the low coolant warning light). I used a junk standard wiring harness to provide these additional wires. Also some extra interior illumination wires have to be added due to the circuit layout. It sounds more complicated than it actually is. If you want, I can post the before and after wiring diagram of the pin location that I made to use as an aide in the conversion. I also have wiring diagrams that I can send to you.
kline1

Postby 77 Spyder » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:53 pm

Hey Darrin, thanks for the quick reply. No problem on the electronic side of it. That's what I do for a living.

The other problem would be I'll need to find a 77 seeing Its the only year, with the style that had the woodgrain.
77 Spyder

Guages

Postby kline1 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:46 pm

Oh I forgot... The woodgrain option... There were FOUR different dashes (Full or standard guages) (woodgrain or silver). Actually the woodgrain was available for all the years, 76-80. But I don't know if the woodgrain was the identical pattern (Marco would know...). But I think any year woodgrain would look basically the same. I believe the one that I used (which happens to be woodgrain) came out of a starfire.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kline1

Guage Conversion

Postby kline1 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:16 pm

With my 78 Monza.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kline1

cool.

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:42 am

Here's one for the how-to section.

great info.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Dash

Postby Monza Madness » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:48 pm

My 79 Spyder has the standard dash, but I pulled a rally dash out of a 76 that has the factory passenger side digital clock and defoger, along with the dash I pulled the entire wire harness and fuse block. Is there much difference in pinout between the v8 and 4 cyl harnesses on the firewall connector? Yes I realize I have to alter the tach to make it run with a v8. Do I just have to change the pinout or add wires. Both are A/C cars.
Roger
79 IMSA TPI 350 A/C 700R4
79 Spyder 305 A/C 200r4
Monza Madness

1979 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby 77 Spyder » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:57 pm

Hey Roger. There is nothing to the tach swap for an V8.
On the bottom of the pcb board, looking at the back of the tach, there is three contact points with holes inbetween. You just need a jumper across the left hand, & center contact & your set for a V8.
I beleive a jumper across the center & right is for a V6 & no jumper is for a 4 cyl. I might have those backwards, But I am sure about the V8.

Carl
77 Spyder

Postby EagleFish » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:04 pm

I do not know about any wood grain differences from 76-80 on the Monzas. But, the wood grain is different among all of the clones and the Monza. In other words, the wood grain pattern and color is different on a Starfire than it is on a Monza than it is on a Sunbird than it is on a Skyhawk. A few might have over lapped in a few years. Form what I can tell it doesn't appear that the Monza shared any of the wood grain dash patterns and colors with any other clone. Then again, i haven't seen everything about these cars.

John (John and Richard)
EagleFish

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Return to Electrical and Wiring