day light running lights

Moderator: Moderators

day light running lights

Postby v6buick » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:18 am

I can't stand it anymore. I have a 98 Cavalier with these day time headlights. I know that they are for safety but I don't want them on evertime I put it in gear. Is there anybody that knows how to make these not come on??? I can't take them out because then I wouldn't have bright lights.
Is there a wire I can cut or unplug, or is there a fuse I can pull??
I know this is not a h-body thing, but you guys know more about this stuff then I do.
Thank you for any help

Ben
v6buick

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby monzamess » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:40 am

Yeah, somehow they got disabled on my S-10, seems the DRL relay just fell out one day. 8)

Unfortunately the process looks harder for your car, but here are a couple of websites that explain it:

http://www.j-body.org/library/howto.php?6

j-body.org is a great site for Cavaliers and Sunfires so they can probably help if neither of those methods work for you.

http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html (look down the page for Cavalier)
Dennis
1980 Monza Coupe--collector of cob webs and kids' toys
2006 Honda Odyssey--daily driver
2011 Toyota Sienna--wife's
1995 Dodge Ram--for creating oil spots on the street
monzamess

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby v6buick » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:06 pm

YES... thank you so much. :dance:
That frist web site worked for me, removed the relay, about a 2" jumper wire and I was set.

Thank you again
I really hated these dsl lights, can you tell??

Ben
v6buick

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:27 pm

word.

tell me about it. I hate seeing them oncoming, I hate that my new Aveo has them (and theres no good way to get them to turn off) along with the annoying "passenger airbag off" light on the dashboard when I dont have a passenger.

the only car(knock on wood) I have even been in that somebody turned right into and smashed was a 97 cav with the DRL's.
Some big help they were.
Last edited by marco_1978_spyder on Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby SunbirdMan » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:27 pm

I ran across this a while back. I was looking for info on how much hp certain electric devices cost. I 'm not saying that these figures are totally accurate.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question424.htm

" If daytime running lights were on all the vehicles in the U.S., we would burn an extra 406 million gallons of gas each year. That's only a couple gallons for each vehicle, but in total it is more than all of the vehicles in the country burn in a day. At $1.50 a gallon, that's $600 million per year. Looking at it another way, an extra 8 billion pounds of Carbon Dioxide would be added to the atmosphere by this law."

So daytime running lights add to the global warming problem (if you believe that theory) as co2 is the main contributer. maybe a Big Oil conspiracy!
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby Kev442 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:08 pm

There is no doubt that the extra draw on the alt with DRL's adds up to a couple bucks in a year. That being said, I think underinflated tires cost ten times that amount. Every day I see several vehicles so low on a tire that it tilts! So get ready for the tire pressure monitoring systems, it'll make you wish for the good old days of just DRL's.
1978 Olds Firenza x2!
Kev442

1978 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza

Postby res0o7eb » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:24 pm

I have DRL with Auto Headlights on my 2000 Blazer ZR-2. I don't even see them when I'm driving during the day. If somebody else has a problem with glare, then put on a pair of sunglasses.

A good alternative would be for GM to provide a simple switch. I won't cut a wiring harness unless I absolutely have to. I've got too many GM cars with wiring/electrical problems.

So, how much gasoline does it take to run that amplifier powering those 15" sub-woofers in the trunk of that ricer? And that DVD-player? Hey, you're contributing to our dependency on foreign oil if you watch and drive. Safety issues of no concern here.

What about power steering? Doesn't that use a little extra gas?

Where will it end? Maybe we should eliminate that alternator, too. Use lanterns or candles for headlights and tailights.

--Tom
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Return to Electrical and Wiring