Wiper not wiping?

Moderator: Moderators

Wiper not wiping?

Postby DjTy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:48 pm

Basically we had a few days with rain. Guess what, my monza's wiper doesn't work at all.

all three connectors pins cleaned up, fuse seems ok, and the wipermotor warms up alright, but it doesn't turn over the wiper blades.

I did spray paint it black after I powerhosed the engine bay clean with water, but it wasn't turned on for a month (it worked just fine prior to the engine swap).

Any idea's?

ps. the monza's doing great, needs still valves adjusted and carb checked, but running cool (150-160ish normally), no smoking tho a quarter of oil did disappear and it's not leaking.
-Chevy Monza '76 2+2 V8 262ci (old) -> 355ci (oil problem) -> 355ci (piston broke) -> 350ci (current) ... LOL
-Opel Kadett E 1985 1.2Litre (Back up, had a broken condensor :P still need to find replacement accelerator pump membrane...)

My Monza in Cardomain!
DjTy

1976 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby MIKESMONZA » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:58 pm

DjTy; Were thawing out up here in" TEXAS" but I will guess that it not be for long ( 34 degree's).,,, Try this: the motor has a set of brushe's that can collect a film of salt and corosive soap dried on the armature,,,, causing a problem with the electrical path,,, on the motor"s abilty to turn. :arrow: They make a electrical contact cleaner in a aresol can. It evaporate's fast and will flush the build up from the brush contact area if you can find the top of the motor tower,,,,,,,,,( reptangilar can hole ) where the plate with two lomg bolt's cover the end that stick's up and apply it internaly with the little plastic tube that come's with the can or some time's compressed air will clean it off enough to make it work these motor's were rebuilt with kit's all in the past so try this with a little :arrow: ( bumping) it should start working again. frosty fingered Mike 8) 8),,,,EDIT ALSO CHECK THE GROUND - WIRE,,,, :arrow: IF NOT SEE IF IT IS (BADDLY GROUNDED) WEAK, ADD TEMPORARY GROUND TO CASE.,, WHEN RUNNING IF SPEED PICK'S UP AFTER THIS.,, IT MAY BE CORRODED INTERNALLY BEGGING YOU TO TAKE IT APPART AND INSPECT. :arrow: ALSO IN THE MEAN TIME WHILE YOU ARE WAITING FOR THE "CURE" USE :arrow: RAIN -X WINDSHIELD TREATMENT BRRRR IT'S COLD MIKE :roll: :roll:
Last edited by MIKESMONZA on Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby gerbsinmd » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:07 pm

Ty,

A little oil disappearance isn't that unusual on a new engine. Even on a new car, the last 2 new cars I bought each used a whole quart the first 500 miles and then never anything since, both cars now have over 100,000 miles.

Darrel
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby monzamess » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:09 pm

Yeah, I had a 95 Neon that lost a quart every 1500-2000 miles. Dodge wouldn't do anything about it and sure enough in the fine print, that's considered "within normal limits."

I think Mike has some good wiper motor advice. My only experience is with the motor on my wife's Trailblazer. When it stopped working I figured, it's dead anyway, why not whack it with a hammer? Now it's going strong!
Dennis
1980 Monza Coupe--collector of cob webs and kids' toys
2006 Honda Odyssey--daily driver
2011 Toyota Sienna--wife's
1995 Dodge Ram--for creating oil spots on the street
monzamess

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby DjTy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:50 pm

Tnx for the hints & (funny!) tips!

My dad had some time this afternoon and we tested it, regrounded it with an extra cable to the neg. pole, and took it apart.

one of the coal brushes (copper actually) had it's cable rusted through.

we replaced it with quite some difficulty, but alas, it still wouldn't work.

there's something quite wrong with it, anybody know what the three pins do/get regarding voltages?

either way we'll check it over the weekend again or I hope the 77 V6 monza has it's own working...

the car is running pretty strong, especially now with the throttle & tranny kickdown bracket replaced with an adjustable one.
kickdowns and the car pulls quite a bit stronger.

Still haven't gotten the chance to adjuste the valves though :(
my cousin that had the monza towncoupe drag car will help me adjust the valves. (he uses the same method you guys suggested, running and tighten until clatter gone, then 1/4 tighter)

I could prolly do it myself, but last time he did it perfect, and I haven't really let him check out the monza yet ;)
-Chevy Monza '76 2+2 V8 262ci (old) -> 355ci (oil problem) -> 355ci (piston broke) -> 350ci (current) ... LOL
-Opel Kadett E 1985 1.2Litre (Back up, had a broken condensor :P still need to find replacement accelerator pump membrane...)

My Monza in Cardomain!
DjTy

1976 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:30 am

Wiper Motor plug:

Yellow - +12v Ignition

Lo Speed - Light blue and Black with white stripe both grounded

Hi Speed - Just light blue grounded
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Electrical and Wiring