Dome light dooor switches

Moderator: Moderators

Dome light dooor switches

Postby 77 Spyder » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:09 am

Are these things supposed to be adjustable? I noticed one switch has the sleeve pushed in further than the other. Looks like they are supposed to be fit to each door?

Also, are there other cars that use the switches?

Carl
77 Spyder

1977 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Kenova » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:53 pm

Yes, they are adjustable. You can pull the plunger and sleeve out a bit and it will be pushed back in to the proper depth when you close the door.
In the late '70s I had a '77 Astre. If I cranked the drivers door window up too tight the dome light would come on. An adjustment at the door switch solved the problem. Kind of tells you something about the amount of flex in the door.
These switches were quite common in most GM cars of the time.
Ken
Kenova

Postby 77 Spyder » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:15 pm

I wonder if they are still available from GM?

If they are monza specific, I will say no, But if they are the same as some others, maybe I can still buy them new?
77 Spyder

1977 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:16 pm

I looked up the number in my GM manual and it does show a specific # for H bodies. If you are interested I believe I can get them.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Attention CLYDE

Postby MIKESMONZA » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:00 pm

Clyde;,,,,While re insulating the under dash insulation.,, I removed some of the wire's hung by a metal clip, and noticed that my door switche's have a plastic band (broken upon closer inspection) for the white wire's to make contact,,,,,Seems I will need two pair's 75 and 77 car's, four in all Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Door pin switches

Postby monzaxxx » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:55 pm

There are pin switches that grd out to turn on the light and Ive used any number of them from ANY GM car of the 70's to 80's. There is always some sort of unique part number assigned to each chassis however the differences are hardly worth the mention as fit/function is no different and the cost of the so called NOS items can't be justified, get one listed for a chevette, then spend $ of items that make a difference!
BTW: Thats a fantasic modified restoration you have in progress Carl!
monzaxxx

Return to Electrical and Wiring