Sorting out the wiring harness

Moderator: Moderators

Sorting out the wiring harness

Postby 77 Spyder » Sun May 06, 2007 7:20 am

Hi Guys, I am sorting through the wiring harness for both inside & out for my 77. I have a 78, or 79 4 speed, Gauge style inside harness & I Have just a couple things that I haven't figured out yet. & I may have more?

I did't realize that the "low coolant" circuit was terminated sometime after 77, or was it an option?

So that changes my idiots around a bit. I am not sure what the upper left hand light is for. The other three apear to be, Seat belts, Oil press, & brake.

There is an orange wire in the engine side harness, that was not terminated, It is wired back through to the orange wire that plugs into the A/C system on the inside, passengers side of the car. No clue what it is for. I might have to install the harness to figure that one out.

I also need to add a two wires to the engine side harness. One for the electric choke, & one for an A/C idle solonoid. Anyone know if there were ever electric choke cars? I want to add that wire to the oil pressure/fuel pump circuit so It will only start to open if the engine is running. Maybe that circuit is already there?

I know, lots of questions for a Sunday :lol:

Carl
77 Spyder

1977 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sun May 06, 2007 8:28 am

Hey Carl.

I'm not totally sure, but I have some idea's from Non A/C cars.

On those the orange wire to the passenger side is for the blower motor. Has a rubber connector on the end that plugs into the orange blower motor wire.

My 1980 V6 A/C cars with the dual jet carb used an electric choke.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby acstestinc » Sun May 06, 2007 8:34 am

I had "Low Coolant" on both my 78 Spyder's. Both had the full gauge package. Not sure if the standard gauge package included it.

You are correct on the other three lights. The "seat belt" and "engine" lights need to have the "buzzer" connected to work. At least on V8 78's.

With your car having A/C, I'm assuming, then the non terminated orange wire that comes across the back of the engine from the driver's side is not used. It's for the blower motor on non A/C cars. It was cut on the assembly line. A/C cars, again at least 78's, have a seperate wiring harness for the A/C that passes through the firewall on the passenger side. The A/C idle solonoid wire is part of that.

No electric choke on V8 monza's. Sounds like a good choice but will it draw power away from the fuel pump?

Paul
acstestinc

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

black and white is dull

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sun May 06, 2007 8:48 am

Marco; do you have the full colour wiring harness for the 75 and 77 with air conditioning??? Todd Allen said he "procured" one from you.,,,Mike and thanks Acstestlink for the above info
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 77 Spyder » Sun May 06, 2007 9:37 am

The orange wire, Was just cut off, & taped into the harness. So that makes sense, My car side harness could be a 79 or 80? I am not sure, I bought it from a parts car. My car never had gauges, so its a conversion, & my engine side harness is for non-gauge.

I think I will make a circuit for the holley electric choke, & Install a relay, so it won't take away from the fuel pump.

So, the last thing is this last idiot light. It has a green wire that is looking for a ground to iluminate. I found it runs over to the A/C harness on the passengers side & also to a green wire under the hood. I was thinking I could use it to install a second temp switch in the event of an overheat & not seeing the temp gauge. that would put on the light, & it looks like that wire over to the A/C side might be to disengage the A/C compressor if the engine get too hot?

Just a guess, But I can't find another purpose for that light. It would be the upper left corner.

Carl
77 Spyder

1977 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby OldsStarfire » Sun May 06, 2007 10:09 am

When I went from AC to Non AC I found that orange wire and assumed a previous owner had done it. How cheesy is it that GM gut cut it off and left it in there....

For any wire harness work you really need the factory manual - the full color diagrams allow you to figure it all out with some patience.

BTW - my 77 has the wire for the low coolant sensor even though my car does not have the sensor.

Jeff
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby SunbirdMan » Sun May 06, 2007 11:40 am

I'll step in here and confuse things a little more.
My 1978 v8 sunbird has the low coolant circuit.
My 1978 Chevrolet Passenger Wiring Diagram Manual has 2 diagrams for Monza. Both have the low coolant light.
my 1978 Sunbird owners manual shows the guage layout, but only shows the non-tach setup. It shows the upper left idiot light as Generator light.
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

boy we need to start a wirring section saves time if all tog

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sun May 06, 2007 12:53 pm

Go to the march 11 th dash question that 78 Spyder asked and check Vegatex' and other members thought's /answers on these mod's you are considering maybe this will help.,,, I also have a few idiot lites on the old gt dash harness,,1# seatbelt light,,,and # 2 light and ignition buzzer,,,(key present in ignition )3#,and what ever if a belt came off the altenator it would light up light???? :idea: :idea: :idea: :arrow: ( boy we need to compile all the wiring questions togeather as a seperate topic ) :arrow: the answers to the past post would be of great benefit :arrow: after general disscusion talk of course.,,, :oops: Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Electrical and Wiring