Dash Wiring Made Simple(er)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: post hyjack in progress Sssssshhhh

Postby jdmrh07 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:41 am

MIKESMONZA wrote:Jdmrdh07: :arrow: :roll: I like the dash redux. ,,,Did you use a mechanical speedometer :?: ,,,,if so did you have to add the original "clip" to the back to hold the cable :?:to the speedo ,,,, I was just at this point where I have to make a decission on my aftermarket speedometer that has a screw on threads but the cable slip's on the input shaft. Mike :roll:

hey Mike, minus one "d" and u almost had it! "jdm"= my iniatials, "r" = ROCK AND ROLL, and of course "h07"= our favorite cars! anyway that was my thought process when i came up with my screenname. :lol:

but to answer your question, Its a mechanical speedometer (the rest of the guages in there are all electric) I actually went and got a new speedometer cable that screws right onto the back, and hooks right up to my tranny. Only think that sucks is the gear in the tranny is stripped so for now I just go by the tach: 4,000 rpms is about 100mph and she redlines at 7-grand woooooooooooo! 8)
Last edited by jdmrh07 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Jonny Monza -

"Ya know... I've never really seen anything wrong with Bell Bottoms..."

'75 Monza Street Machine
'77 IMSA Starfire
'80 Monza Spyder
'85 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
'88 GMC Kustom Van
'89 Cavalier Z24
jdmrh07

Postby jdmrh07 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:45 am

vegatex wrote:Jonny, that dash looks KILLER! Dave

Thanks Dave! Hey, I wish I would've wired it your way though!!! yours is beautiful.
- Jonny Monza -

"Ya know... I've never really seen anything wrong with Bell Bottoms..."

'75 Monza Street Machine
'77 IMSA Starfire
'80 Monza Spyder
'85 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
'88 GMC Kustom Van
'89 Cavalier Z24
jdmrh07

Postby vegatex » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:48 pm

Back together and everything still works! A/C will have to be recharged, though!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Postby MIKESMONZA » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:31 pm

Vegatex;,,,,Yesterday morning I was on hay mowing detail, and missed this,,, post / thread ,, but I will get the speedometer adapter from Summit ordered,thanks ZEKE: and my apology to mistyped >jdmrh07, and that was a revealing set up. :arrow: a double ended cable with threaded 5/8 th of an inch with 18 threads per inch that the trans and the aftermarket custom speed odometer have in common,,, :?: on the cable Is it a Lokar unit???/ and fast work on the plug n' play dash it looks great, but some reason the angle of the shot's I see no needles,,,lol,,,. did they arrive or did you beat the cold front with time to spare.,,,Mike 8) 8)
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:47 am

Anyone have a link for that conversion speeedo cable? Might be cheaper than the adapter.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

aftermarket speedometer hook up

Postby MIKESMONZA » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:42 pm

Zeke; I got one of the "theaded" speedometer adapter form Sumitt Racing and slipped it "on" and "in" the cable end,,, trouble is for some reason it it will not clip on,,,the cables flare on the end is too small to capture the (outside sleeve with slight flare) " cable" I tried to bend the spring to have more tension but look's like I will have to slip it on and hope for the best, or look for a double threaded cable, also I had to switch the tach over to the left so the mechanical speedometer would line up on the right side . thanks for the heads up on the adapter. :arrow: I dont know if its the 1975 gm speedometer cable design or if it was replaced at some time after market, Under neath the car it could use 3 extra inches to help clear so I may try that if they make cables by the foot and or add extension's. :arrow: Any body having a modification for the "Summit" threaded clip on style please chime in.Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Previous

Return to Electrical and Wiring