OEM ground wire locations

Moderator: Moderators

OEM ground wire locations

Postby 77 Spyder » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:32 pm

Can anyone provide some pictures of where GM originally installed the engine ground strap, & the (-) battery terminal ground wire on the V8 cars?

I have some pictures, but I didn't take enough of them to see where the correct location is.

Thanks, Carl
77 Spyder

1977 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:35 am

Hi Carl. No pics, but I can tell you that the ground wire goes to the power steering bolt.(where the upper support bar attaches.

the thin end goes to the inner fender near the battery. You should see a small hole there.
Just about above the hole for the air intake.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby AusRs » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:06 am

marco_1978_spyder wrote:Hi Carl. No pics, but I can tell you that the ground wire goes to the power steering bolt.(where the upper support bar attaches.

the thin end goes to the inner fender near the battery. You should see a small hole there.
Just about above the hole for the air intake.

same here !1
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby 77 Spyder » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:17 am

Thanks guys! Was there a ground strap from the block to the firewall? I have a ground strap left over, but maybe it wasn't supposed to have one?

Carl
77 Spyder

1977 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby SunbirdMan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:49 am

I replaced mine years ago but I believe I used the same location as stock. Then to the drivers side head (I think, I can check later in the week). Can be seen in this pic. I'd think the V6s connected at the same spot but I'd just be guessing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Check the firewall ground

Postby MIKESMONZA » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:59 pm

The h-body factory V-8 bracket for the throtle cable and the automatic transmision cable (That sit's on the intake manifold) :arrow: Usualy have a Hole that's theaded in the bracket to go to braided flat flexable cable and attaches to the fire wall make sure to get a good ground on the fresh paint by removing as much as you dare and weather proofing by adding something to seal both end's (keep's coroision and bad ground blues away. :arrow: ( mine has star washer's ) and should be trouble free. this might be important while drilling a hole in the cowl area. :arrow: for sealant My personal choice is a strip of flexable black caulk sealant that can be replaced when working on the area or some black silicone, on the firewall or my new can of liquid wire cover. Its designed to cover battery conections, and has a paint brush built in the screw on top,The only down side is it is light blue. :arrow: Maybe they will have other colors available later.,, :arrow: it would work with some choices of firewall paint job's.Mike 8) 8) edit :oops: 6-21 07 I found some "black" liquid wire cover today at O'Riley's auto parts :roll: :roll:also if you lose the :arrow: main ground conection or if you have a coroision /rotting to the motor the small flat cable will get increadbly :arrow: Hot while cranking the motor over :arrow: and soon the cable for the transmission will start deteriorating as this is a problem with BAD GROUNDS wire's,,Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Electrical and Wiring