Wiring Question about custom aftermarket dash lights

Moderator: Moderators

Wiring Question about custom aftermarket dash lights

Postby MIKESMONZA » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:02 pm

:arrow: On my 75 Monza 2+2 dash upgrade I have a wiring problem with the turn signals in the custom dash I built :arrow: I took the old bulb and socket assembly and cut it (both wires) 1 inch from the socket, then added a eye style terminal and screwed it seperately to a barrier strip (mounted on the main harness) for simple wiring changes with a added quick diconect plug like Vegatex had in his plug n'play dash, :arrow: for some reason the both wires that went to the "peanut bulb" show 12 volts and make the turn signals come on like running lights.???? :arrow: Was this what some one meant about having :arrow: diodes + ??? in the lights ????? :arrow: on a earlier post some months/ weeks ago, :arrow: please explain cause the peanut bulb and sockets were working before, :arrow: and I was not aware of these having them built in, :?: please explain ,,.Mike :shock: :shock:
Last edited by MIKESMONZA on Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

RE: Wiring Problem

Postby vegadad » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:24 pm

Mike,
Sounds like you might need to retrace the wires. You might have hooked them up to a dash light rather than a turn signal connection. Just an Idea.
John b. (in Missouri)
vegadad

1976 Chevrolet Vega Nomad

Postby shytebucket » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:07 am

I would recheck the connections at the barrier strip. It sounds like the turn signal bulbs are getting 12V from a seperate circuit like like 'ign'.
shytebucket

Postby zeke » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:02 pm

Check your dash and all other ground connections.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

thanks for the tips

Postby MIKESMONZA » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:06 pm

Thank for the Tip's :arrow: and opinion's it was a little of all 3 :arrow: all of the terminals have been diconected from the barrier strip. and I started over one at a time looking for the culprit.,,, and also found :arrow: I left the emergency flasher switch on on a couple of test's and thought I would double check it out, I had to diconect the whole thing before leaving for the weekend as I had to leave the car outside in the weather. Mike :arrow: Any body have a color wire diagram for the 75 Monza 2+2 :arrow: I have heard that some one has them, they might be just for the 77 thru 80 and I still would be interested in purchasing one for the other car. Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vegatex » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:06 pm

Mike,

I have a '75 Vega in B&W I can e-mail you. It's too big to post. It will be close enough for Government work-- I used it with the harness in my Vega which originally came out of a '75 Starfire V6 manual car.

Dave
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

well some of its working

Postby MIKESMONZA » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:03 pm

Thanks Dave. I have the orange shop manual for the 75 Vega and Monza. It is what I have been working with on the chassis dash and engine compartment and hvac a/c the prints are a little small and I have learned a few thing's from It's abreviations, :arrow: ground and rt turn left high beam, illum :arrow: dash lights and numbers in side of the boxs and outside of the boxes but if it was a little bigger it would help Pst some one told me "Marco' had some "large color" some time back ,and :roll: I was curious if they would make any diference at all on wire tracing I have used the a/c parts you have sent and blown them up, :arrow: no not explosive!! :arrow: just enlarged. :arrow: It helped a lot, Oh and by the way the blower is operational except for the high speed which I suspect is in the resistor coils in the evap case.,,,I finaly located the plug (instrument panel feed) with the missing wire that had been removed with the gm 56 male conection that went to the switch on the back of the hvac control unit,,comp-switch relay. which had two wire's cut off ,,brown and a dark tan and one went to the fan switch and one went to the plug for power at he plug . :arrow: the plug also had a orange wire that is dead at the moment but I may find where it is going. send what you got Thanks Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

UPDATE on the adding of led lights

Postby MIKESMONZA » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:47 pm

:arrow: Found this website while looking for led light's for the monza and my motorcycle,(,www.customled.com ) then went to the (custom work page) and found some interesting comments, :arrow: about feedback in the wirring system and insulating the wires, :arrow: some gremlins are aparently every where, :idea: Including a couple of wire's on the back of my custom dash with led turn signals now I know what the source is and will correct with a sleve of shrink tubing, If all else fails, thanks. Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Electrical and Wiring