Fuse box

Moderator: Moderators

Fuse box

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:32 pm

Ok, I admit it, the one part of a car I have never really taken apart is the fuse box. I am trying to help someone with a 71 Impala and wonder if anyone can shed any light as to how the fuse box goes together on the firewall? Is it a one piece affair or does the interior side plug into the firewall side? He has two circuits that are dead on the fuse box (both sides of the fuse) and I am trying to figure out if maybe it just needs to come apart and be cleaned & reseated or if he needs a new one.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

fuse box

Postby heapster » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:11 pm

Easy stuff, One bolt under the hood (3/8 I believe) right in the center of all the wires. Pry the underhood side off. ( the bolt may have a retainer keeping it attached just in case you can't actually pull it out.) Two bolts/ screws under the dash on the sides (diagonal corners) of the fuse box. and thats it.

have fun.

Doug
Formerly Jeepmonz
heapster

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby MIKESMONZA » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:17 pm

Clyde; under the hood there is a single bolt or should be in the center. usualy 5/16 head and is on the block of wires,, backed out the the block will seperate and un- hinge and dissaemble with two pieces, :arrow: some light prying involved :arrow: there is usaly a lot of under coating sealent holding the block's togetherat hte edge of the outer firewall ,,,and will have to be removed and (replaced after the job) :arrow: to seperate them from the back of the fuse panel he can shove the melted piece's out with a "straight ice pick" or pull them out to replace them with a small hook bent on the end of a straight ice pick .,, :arrow: one side is the headlight/ marker light and genarator/ altenator horn relay and some other accesory's on the driver side and the other side is the main harness to the motor and other accesory's .the main fuse block is latched in with clips and is usualy has small sheetmetal screws holding the wiring and fuse block in place behind,and under the dash :arrow: But I am basing this on the last time I was in my old antique wrecker and had to replace some fuse clips and accerory gm 56 spades.Hope this helps Tell him to diconect the battery before he starts. Mike :roll: 8) 8) re edit boy' heapster" is a little faster than me.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Electrical and Wiring