Painless wiring

Moderator: Moderators

Painless wiring

Postby NixVegaGT » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:17 am

What do you guys think of the generic painless kit? The car shows have been hawking it for a few months. Is it worth it or is it just hype? I supposed a guy could just buy the wiring and do it outside of a kit...
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby greg72 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:45 am

I have always done it myself without a kit . However my projects are usually measured in months or even years !

I would imagine the kits would save time. Maybe even money , but i always had many spools of wire , connectors, etc.

I would buy in bulk because i knew i would be working on more than one car.
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

pw

Postby Dannyboy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:15 am

It´s a Godsent!
It is worth every penny in my opinon.
I get a headache each time i have to do some wiring :x
but painless wiring is really painless
when a dufus like me, can fix it.
" I rather eat worms than drive a mopar"
Dannyboy

1976 Buick Skyhawk

Postby v8astregt » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:32 pm

I like it. I wired my dad's 68 Camaro with it in a day.

However, for his 67 GTO, he bought an "EZ-Wiring" kit out of Rod and Custom for like half the price. Pretty much exactly the same kit only under $200. All the wires were still labeled, and it worked with a GM column still. That's what I'll buy from now on.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby Sirshredalot » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:35 pm

I am using a painless 18 circuit universal street car harness.

IM really glad that I got it, its not super easy to install (I hate wiring), but it is alot less headache when your cars wiring harness looks like electrical spaghetti.

Plus theyre better quallity wire than the factory wire and the parts store wire on the rolls just arent that reliable...they melt very easily.

The kit came with a new fuse block and relays and everything... all ya gotta do is reuse your old pigtails for lights and alternator/etc.

PS: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby speedphreake » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:15 am

I used the 12 circuit kit from hot wires. It came with the connectors and pigtails loose so you can cut the wire to the length you need. Comes set up for gm columns too. I actually intergrated it to use the factory firewall, dash and rear body harnesses. That way if I need to fix something, I don't have to redo the whole circuit. It actually came out really nice. There is a pic of the fuse panel mounted in my car in my photo galley. I think it was well worth the money. Check it out at hotrodwires.com
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby NixVegaGT » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:27 am

I like the look of that fuse block. Are you saying you just connected it to the existing harness for the column and rear?

Have a great time on your Honeymoon BTW. Did the steering stuff get there? I bet your already in Vegas... I'll talk to you when you get back. Thanks for the input, guys!
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby speedphreake » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:35 am

Got the parts, sent an email yesterday. We leave for vegas in a couple hours.

As for the fuse panel, I think it is really nice. It comes with the wire terminals and plugs loose. You need to put all the plugs together yourself, I also soldered them. It came with plugs for the column, headlights, light switch. The fuse panel itself is prewired and soldered. Take a look at there webpage and see the kits. I think I actually have the 18 circuit, not the 12. I reused the dash connectors and ordered more connectors. I'll get more pics and details when I get back next weekend.
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Return to Electrical and Wiring