75 and up h-body wiper switch wiring

Moderator: Moderators

75 and up h-body wiper switch wiring

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:38 pm

Any body have their gt cluster dash out? or stock dash with the nice normal wiper switch. Actualy I beleve their the same on all model's. :arrow: but correct me if wrong,,,,where do the two black wires with terminal rings :arrow: tie on to the back, :?: :arrow: the "switch ends" where it mounts from the back :?: ,, with the screw's or something I missed,,,, the rest of the harness is pluged in and the "gremlins" :think: :bang: :swear: have taken over the headlight switch on a back feed loop that is causing all kind of stuff.,,,,, That I am to embarsssssssed to describe, :arrow: Maybe time for a beer :beer: :think: Psssst the wiring diagram describes both wires as mild mannered grounds, with link's to the "wiper" described above. Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:43 am

Mike; Here's how my 79 is:

On the back of the dash, to the right of the wiper switch, there is a bracket that mounts the body harness conector. It has one 14 gauge blk ground wire with an eyelet on it. The right lower rear of the cluster has a blk ground on the cluster stamping.

The wiper switch has a 4 pin connector with the ground in it.

I havn't had the left kick panel off yet but there may be a body ground behind there. Anyone else know?
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

No ground to switch?

Postby MIKESMONZA » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:34 am

OK that helps, :arrow: any pictures of the stamping, :arrow: "from rear" "Or a drawing".??? :arrow: I can see the metal wire holder bracket thru the side opening in the dash ,,,, it has two sheet metal screws thru the clamp and the metal suport. :arrow: This has to be where the one ground for the set up is needed. at least? Mike :arrow: May try to "periscope" a picture with the digital camera :roll: Any body else got info?
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:51 am

Here's a pic of the dash ground location:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

close but no cigar

Postby MIKESMONZA » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:59 pm

Zeke; at first there was no picture,,, :think: now it is from the wrong angle? al most to far :arrow: I can see the section on the back of the with a plug with male tang's sticking out, is that the switch's end's thanks if this is all you got I will try to ge a look behind again :idea: if any one has the wiper switch on the back of a dash shot Please help the blind Mike,
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:13 pm

Dont have a pic of the other side but I did explain where that ground location is above^
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:47 pm

I stuck the cam under there and snapped a couple for ya Mikey. I see some black wires going in behind the kick panel, probably have eyelets and go on the body metal behind there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:53 pm

Found some more pics from when the dash was out.

Someone drilled holes in the dash and tie wrapped on my wiper switch b4 I got the car cuz the plastic mounts were busted off. So i made up some brackets and put machine screws in the holes to fix it for now. It looks like shit but I have another dash to go in someday.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

switch gound hunting

Postby MIKESMONZA » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:52 pm

Well I took the dash loose and took the un used clip off and found next to the base of switch a metal tang with a threaded hole?,,, could not find the original screw in the bag so went and found one to go in the hole on the eye and attached the screw to the block trouble is the switch has the same problem you described and had to make fast with epoxy, so i will try before I button it up. Hope it works for now. Mike thanks for the try on the picture's.edit I went back after the post,,,and saw the pictures and said,,, :arrow: boy that guy has some skills. :idea: that was a quick fix. may have to try that it also shows in the first picture the tang I was talking about I added a extra lead just in case something else need to be attache to the same with out removing every thing Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

IT's working wipers and all

Postby MIKESMONZA » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:10 pm

Thank's ZEKE, :arrow: The wiper switch is back on line, thank you,,,, :idea: Can you take the photo that has the tang on it,(,for the black wire on the harness with the eye ring conector ),, :arrow: with the threaded hole, for the black wire,,, just to the right as seen from the back, and put a pointer to it for the others if they were not clear on this ground on the wiper switch for the black wire, controling the wiper. Thanks Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:52 pm

Mike, sounds like yours is wired differently than mine is, so YOU will have to take the pic and post it. Do it now.... :lol:

Maybe, unless I am miss-understanding your post??

Working wipers is a good thing!! Image
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

WIPER SWITCH

Postby MIKESMONZA » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:52 pm

ZEKE: As of this morning,,,,"Well the wipers are temporarly fixed" as the switch is now not getting the ground internaly every time I turn it on, will probaly use the meathod for the switch mount you have as the two top screw hole's have just epoxy holding them. :arrow: Like you said need new dash plastic and switch, will locate and fix later, as other thing need to be done. :( Mike
Last edited by MIKESMONZA on Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

wiper still not right going to pull dash again

Postby MIKESMONZA » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:24 pm

Zeke; I finaly went back to the "picture" of the back on the late model dash , and saw the red circle on the stud sticking out for the ground :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: (Mine is different I think)>>>>. I was looking at the :arrow: Driverside back or (other side) several times before and did not see it,,,,, :?: on the bolts that are installed, :arrow: thru the panel front and to the back on the switch,, underneath is there a metal bar acting like a buss to the light switch and the rest of the panel,,,,,, :arrow: I will go back and check in the pictures.,,, If my epoxy job went and caused it to insulate the unit,,, :shock: I only did the top two mount's for the screw's from inside the car thru the dash hole .,,,, has the switch only two original screws :arrow: left and right at top, :?: :idea: but bottom might be loose or un "+" grounded from circuit,,,,,, :shock: Mike :arrow: Edit I do not see where your switch picks any thing from the other "+"ground's :arrow: :idea: ANY body with a picture of a older 75 monza 2+2 GT dash back shots with grounding studs or place for the eye ring's to feed the back of the wiper and headlight switch area???? Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:19 pm

How many terminals on your wiper switch? how many wires in the plug?

Like I said above, the ground is in the 4 pin connector on mine. Maybe the older ones depended on an external separate ground thru the metal frame of the wiper switch.

GM non-delay systems r wired as such:

+12v acc. power is fed to wiper motor from fuse panel.

Wiper motor has 2 other pins that represent hi and lo speed windings.

The wiper switch grounds the 2 wiper motor windings depending on which speed is selected.

Washer pump is fed +12v acc. power and when u push the button it grounds the pump motor.

This is why the switch needs a good ground. You can verify the ground connection for the wiper switch by placing the probe of the test light on the plug pin (or eyelets) and the aligator clamp end on batt positive.

Hope this helps eh...
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby MIKESMONZA » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:41 pm

When looking at the photo posted above at the back of the switch nearest top I see the 3 blades to geather, then below off to the left from behind also, I see the other tang for the wire conector where is the ground if you have off-lo- hi and push to spray( Edit I just realized the picture is up side down) My switch looks similar on front only, but has a long white reptangle box on the end near top and has a white plug that plugs in to it and then below it has a black plug wide, as I have not taken it loose, with the other thing's I have going on to day. :arrow: I will get this wire thing down soon as I can see what's happening???, Thank's Mike :arrow: P.S. :arrow: This may be simular to the Vegas set up in 75
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Next

Return to Electrical and Wiring