Wiring up a Push Start, which wire do I tap?

Moderator: Moderators

Wiring up a Push Start, which wire do I tap?

Postby jdmrh07 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:43 pm

Hey guys, I'm hooking up a push start in my Monza, the kind where you put the key in, and turn it one click, for ignition & fuel, then push the button for the starter.

So obviously I'm just tapping into the starter wire, or should I say, rewiring the starter. I figure the simplest way to go is to find which wire that comes off the steering column is the starter wire.

I've been tracing wires from a GM diagram, and I think I've narrowed it down a bit. But instead of playing with live wires, is there anybody that could just tell me which wire it is?

thanks!!!

(I bet I could've asked this with out the long explanation :lol: )
- Jonny Monza -

"Ya know... I've never really seen anything wrong with Bell Bottoms..."

'75 Monza Street Machine
'77 IMSA Starfire
'80 Monza Spyder
'85 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
'88 GMC Kustom Van
'89 Cavalier Z24
jdmrh07

Postby v8astregt » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:37 pm

Pretty much every GM I can think of from the 60's up used the purple wire for the starter. Just trace that under the hood and that should be what you need.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby NixVegaGT » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:03 am

I'm glad you asked the question, Jonny. I'm planning on doing the same thing with my car. Thanks for the answer, Josh.s
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby jdmrh07 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:45 am

v8astregt wrote:Pretty much every GM I can think of from the 60's up used the purple wire for the starter. Just trace that under the hood and that should be what you need.

Hey thanks Josh--- But here's the catch, which purple wire? I traced the starter from a schematic to a purple wire. I got under my dash and found 2 purple wires, both in the steering column vicinity. One was big, and the other was little--- What do you think?
- Jonny Monza -

'75 Monza Street Machine
'77 IMSA Starfire
'80 Monza Spyder
'85 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
'88 GMC Kustom Van
'89 Cavalier Z24
jdmrh07

Postby v8astregt » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:01 am

It should be the larger wire, since it does have slightly higher current. At least that's what I remember on my Astre. It has a large purple wire through the starter interlock (75 only). Put some voltage to that, that should do it.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby jdmrh07 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:28 am

I went to go hook it up, and it was different than i thought. The larger purple wire has a white stripe. The other is a solid purple wire that is slightly smaller.

I followed the solid purple wire and it goes with 5 or so other wires straight up into the steering column. So I'm guessing thats it--- but when I went to put power to it, I discovered my actual push start button is a piece of junk, and doesn't work!!! So gotta go get a good one...
- Jonny Monza -

'75 Monza Street Machine
'77 IMSA Starfire
'80 Monza Spyder
'85 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
'88 GMC Kustom Van
'89 Cavalier Z24
jdmrh07

Postby NixVegaGT » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:42 am

What kind of push button is needed....
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby jdmrh07 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:04 pm

NixVegaGT wrote:What kind of push button is needed....

Any momentary switch will do, but as far as my interior theme is going, I'de like a nice big, heavy duty, silver button. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Anybody know what that purple w/ white stripe wire goes to?
- Jonny Monza -

'75 Monza Street Machine
'77 IMSA Starfire
'80 Monza Spyder
'85 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
'88 GMC Kustom Van
'89 Cavalier Z24
jdmrh07

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:23 am

The large purple/white goes from the ignition switch to the neutral safety(clutch switch on a std., shifter on auto.) and the large purple to the starter solenoid. If you wish to bypass the neutral safety, obviously you need to use the purple. A note of caution on push button switches- the starter can draw upwards of 30-50 amps; use a seriously heavy-duty switch. If you want to be able to crank the engine over without starting(such as in a race car to set the valve lash or prime the oil pump), hook up the other side of the switch to the battery+ (12g red) at the column. Otherwise hook to the large pink(ign) The supplied diagram is for a 75, but with any H-body there's no difference as far as the start circuit is concerned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby jdmrh07 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:34 am

Purp= Solid Purple Wire
PurpWht = Purple Wire w/ White Stripe

Hey Spencer, thanks for the info! About the amp rating on this, if I'm running the push start switch through a seperate fuse box to the battery, do I really need a fuse in there bigger than 25 amps?

Also, here is some info I didn't include before sorry!!! (I just assumed everybody with a Monza has a Quarter Stick Shifter right? :lol: ) So anyway I hooked up a B&M Pro Stick; Ran the PurpWht to the neutral safety switch on the pro stick. Then ran the Purp from the starter to the neutral safety switch. (which is normal ignition key start operation)

So Now I'm gonna change it from Key Start, to Push Start. I got my red (hot) wire from the Push Start Button---- Trying to figure out where I tap it into that circuit--- I sware its probably simple as hell, but I'm confused--- actually I'll bet it doesn't matter where I tap into that circuit; right? as long as 12 volts is applied to the PurpWht, and the shifter is in park or neutral, the circuit should be complete.

Before I was confused about which wire goes where because I thought the PurpWht had something to do with the Ignition. The Pink wire goes to the Ignition!

So my guess is just tap into the PurpWht------- cuz I don't want to bypass the neutral safety switch. :idea:
- Jonny Monza -

'75 Monza Street Machine
'77 IMSA Starfire
'80 Monza Spyder
'85 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
'88 GMC Kustom Van
'89 Cavalier Z24
jdmrh07

Return to Electrical and Wiring