Starter solenoid wiring

Moderator: Moderators

Starter solenoid wiring

Postby Monzadude » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 pm

I seem to be having a mental block. For some reason I can't remember how to wire the starter exactly. I'm trying to get it wired before the exhust manifolds go on so I have more room to work.

There's wires that come across the top of the block and go to the starter. Both red, one big and one small. I have them on but what about the positive battery cable?

Using the first pic below, does the big red wire from the top of the block and the pos battery cable go to the same place( Terminal B )?

Small red wire from top to terminal A?

What goes on terminal C? I don't see anything that would.

Does this make sence to anyone but me? It's been a long day.

Oh ya, It's a 231 V6.

Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
79 Skyhawk
Monzadude

Postby 10secvega » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:39 pm

Battery cable goes to the "B" terminal also.
Just a gold Vega with a little V-6

10secvega

Postby spyder_xlch » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:49 pm

The C terminal in your drawing might not be used. It supplies power only while cranking. I used it on an old vehicle of mine that had points ignition. Had a hard time starting so I ran a wire from that terminal to the coil so I'd have 12V to the coil while cranking only. Fixed the starting problem.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:16 am

spyder_xlch wrote:The C terminal in your drawing might not be used. It supplies power only while cranking. I used it on an old vehicle of mine that had points ignition. Had a hard time starting so I ran a wire from that terminal to the coil so I'd have 12V to the coil while cranking only. Fixed the starting problem.

The "R" terminal was used for exactly that reason on 60's chevys. Full 12 volts to the coil during cranking thereby bypassing the nichrome resistor wire in the harness for hotter spark.

One large 10 gauge purple wire to the "S" terminal from the keyswitch.

Battery wire and dash feeds (red) on the large 3/8" terminal.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby spyder_xlch » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:01 pm

The C terminal in the drawing is the R terminal in reality. The vehicle I was talking about was a 79 Chevy truck with Olds diesel coverted to 73 Olds gas engine.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monzadude » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:38 pm

Thanks for the help. I've changed these starters before but for some reason totaly spaced on it. I guess it's bound to happen. Just wish it didn't happen so much. :D

Bill
79 Skyhawk
Monzadude

Return to Electrical and Wiring