battery cut off switch

Moderator: Moderators

battery cut off switch

Postby theodorracer » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:14 am

any body know of a site or have a diagram of the correct way to wire up a cut off switch so it will cut off all power. kills the engine!

thanks!!!
Joe

1979 Olds Starfire SX
327 13.5 to 1
4 Speed
theodorracer

1979 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby Jitterbugdude » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:28 pm

Just take a 50 amp toggle switch and tie into your coil wire. Locate the switch under your dash. Makes for a great anit theft device.

Randy B
Jitterbugdude

Re: battery cut off switch

Postby Astre-mutt » Sat May 10, 2008 6:19 pm

Not sure if this is what you've been looking for. I saw this at Summit. Painless Wiring battery remote kill switch. Cost just over $125.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

1976 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Postby Sirshredalot » Tue May 13, 2008 2:31 pm

Wiring it to the coil wire will kill the motor but if youve got an electric fuel pump it wont kill that...nice little fire hazard.

What you could do is wire in a starter solenoid (ford style, F492) in line with your positive battery cable and also have the feed from the alternator tie into it. That way it would kill all power....do the same for safetly sake with the fuel pump....

Then control the solenoid with a 4 pin 30 amp relay wired to your kill switch...Viola!....dead car.

God bless
-Shred
Sirshredalot

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby spyder_xlch » Tue May 13, 2008 4:38 pm

That's all the summit kit is, a solenoid, a relay, and a push button switch. You could do it yourself for $20-$30. You wouldn't need a relay really. You can by a solenoid that is "normally closed" (as opposed to a started solenoid that is normally open). Hook the battery cable to one side and on the other side you'd hook the starter and alternator cables. You'd need a toggle switch to activate the solenoid. One side of the toggle would go to battery and the other would go to the soleniod. A relay isn't needed because the current needed to activate the soleniod isn't very great.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby spencerforhire » Tue May 13, 2008 6:02 pm

A Ford style starter solenoid is not meant for continuous duty, but there is a similar looking solenoid relay that is usually available at large truck parts dealers that can be left on for extended periods.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby SunbirdMan » Tue May 13, 2008 6:32 pm

I borrowed and edited one of the wiring diagrams posted by spencerforhire. I cut out the clutter to make it easier to see. The cars power goes from the battery to the starter motor. There it goes #10 gauge red to a splice which is wrapped in the wiring harness right around the passengerside of the carb. It has constant power to the alternator. The other direction two # 10 reds go toward the bulkhead connector. As they come out of the wrapped wiring harness, one goes to the a/c along the firewall. The other wire is spliced to a fusible link at the bulkhead connector. This is the wire that powers everything else. If you intecept this wire (before the fusible link) and put a on/off switch in it, shutting it off will kill lights, ignition, accessories, fuelpump,choke, you name it. One switch is all it takes.
(by the way, I think it was a cheesy idea to put a fusible link right into the bulkhead connector as if it ever burned up you'd have to disassemble the connector to replace it.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby spyder_xlch » Tue May 13, 2008 7:42 pm

Yes, it would have to be continuous duty. But an even easier way would be to get a master switch and run the battery to one side, power to everything else on the other side. If you wanted a remote switch inside the car like Mike mentioned then you could do the toggle switch/solenoid deal also. Battery cable going from battery to master switch, short jumper going from master switch to solenoid, power to everything else on other solenoid terminal.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Jitterbugdude » Wed May 14, 2008 2:51 pm

And what is the fire hazard with just wiring a toggle switch to the coil wire? As far as I can tell, when you flip the switch it will kill the engine.. no running engine.. no oil pressure... no fuel pump. Am i missing something here??
Randy B
Jitterbugdude

Postby Astre-mutt » Wed May 14, 2008 9:37 pm

Randy, when I was a firemen in the Navy, half of all fires on ship where electrical fires. I hadn't thought about a safety switch until now. I found the one from Painless wiring for someone else. But now I'm thinking it mite be the way to go. I like the idea of being able to kill the all the electrical system in a panic situation. Also I think if you hook the switch up so it's facing forward, it would shut down in a head on collision.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

1976 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Return to Electrical and Wiring