spark plugs

Moderator: Moderators

spark plugs

Postby katostud » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:32 pm

im looking to get the best performing spark plug. i have a mild build 350. i reciently got a mallory hyfire 7 ignition box,super coil,and distributer so i dont wanna sloutch on the plugs. what do u guys recomend 2 run for plugs?
katostud

Postby spyder_xlch » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:59 pm

That's almost like asking what the best oil to use is. Autolites and AC always seemed to work for me. Everyone has their own personal preference.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby katostud » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:54 pm

i understand that. thanks for your reply. i spent alot of money on my ignition so i want the best in the plug i use. im sure they all will work but i want the best performing plug bottem down. sorry if i sound like an ass
katostud

Postby spyder_xlch » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:01 am

I understand what you mean, it's just that what works for one guy might not work for another. trial and error, personal preference, etc.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby bugdewde » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:35 pm

Yep, there are too many opinions and not enough facts to support a "best" spark plug.
This has been touched before in many forums..... I followed one on the Rubicon Owner's Forum for about 4 or 5 pages. ...... everyone giving their opinion and commercialized statements from the ads, etc....
A very knowledgeable and trusted member (diesel and heavy equipment shop owner) really dispelled a lot of the statements made and to be quite frank, most any spark plug will work just as good as the next.

All the hype about 4 electrodes or larger arc or conductance, etc is mostly just hype. The ignition events are not the most critical part of the combustion process, when it all gets boiled down.
It's about air/fuel mixture, timing, mixture atomization, swirling, scavenging and other PHYSICS type properties..... the spark is just a spark.

A $2 plug is probably just as good as a $6 plug in most internal combustion engine applications.... according to the Jeep engine gurus.

Sorry, but you won't get too much more documented info on this topic. Just opinions. There are a lot of very knowledgeable guys on this forum.... I'm not speaking for everyone here, but they probably don't have a proven "Best" plug to recommend. Maybe, they would be better to supply you with "What plug has failed you before?" type questions or something like that.

Try a Google search of spark plug rating or something.... just avoid the commercialized sites..... look for independent lab testing.

Personally, I usually use what the manufacturers recommend..... they spend tons of money on the research and development of their engines....... and a spark is a spark.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:56 am

I use GM "Rapidfire's", I like the silver finish on them over the traditional AC black which can rust over time. How's that for a good reason?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Astre-mutt » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:30 am

I agree, there is no wright or wrong answer. Stay away from the gimmicky plugs. If any of these fancy plugs made a serous improvement, you would have heard about it by now. I think overall quality, heat range, and indexing the plugs make more of a difference then science fiction design. For me plug choices are like the cars we drive. You find the make you have confidence in, and you stick with them. For me it NGK's. I can't say these are better then any other plug, but the quality/performance has always been good.

Over the years I've seen dino test on, cams, intakes, cylinder heads, headers, but I've never seen one with spark plugs.
Scott
76 Astre panel express
Astre-mutt

1976 Pontiac Astre Safari Wagon

Postby spyder_xlch » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:02 am

I had an 89 Acura Integra given to me (which I daily drive) that had Autolites in it. I like to use what the factory uses or as close as I can get. I put NGKs in it and noticed no changes. What's that tell you? They are both good plugs. As I said before I also had good luck with AC plugs. I never like Champion but it's probably more because of hearing others say they are junk. I've tried Champions in 2 stroke dirt bikes and they foul alot quicker than NGKs. In my old 62 Harley, Champions out lasted AC, Autolite, and Accel plugs by alot longer. Whatever you go with, if they don't work so good it may not be the brand, it may be the wrong heat range. Just keep that in mind. As far as recommending a heat range, that's something you'll have to figure out with your engine combo.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby greg72 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:02 am

I remember years ago (1979) talking with a guy who owned a 69 Camaro drag car. He was using Autolite plugs which at the time seemed to be closely aligned with Ford. I asked him how come you are using Autolite plugs and not A/C Delco? (I was 17 at the time).

His response was: "Being a drag car I am checking the plugs , changing them, etc. fairly often and many times I am doing it when they are hot. When I drop an A/C plug 50 % of the time it cracks, this does not happen nearly as often to me with the Autolites"

He went on to say what the others have stated here, that so long as you have the correct heat range, size etc for your application just about any plug will work.

I use Autolite and have used the shorty Accel plugs (for header clearance). But that choice was formed years ago when I use to sell both brands and those were the plugs I could get the best deal on! (I use Valvoline for the same reason!).

I use Bosch in my wife's Volvo only because that is what the manufacturer calls for and its not worth it to me to go against their recommendation. :lol:

The only plug that I will not use is Champion, I have had bad luck with those .....although admittedly it was probably my fault for using the wrong heat range or something rather than the plug.
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby spyder_xlch » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:05 am

Greg, great minds think alike. We posted at the same time covering the same things just about. :lol:
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Electrical and Wiring