Full voltage to HEI?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Full voltage to HEI?

Postby sayporsha » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:47 pm

spencerforhire wrote:A simpler solution- use the pink wire that's found on the oil pressure switch; it provides power for the fuel pump(only when there's oil pressure). It originates inside the car where it's spliced into the same circuit as feeds the resistance wire. If you're still using the OEM fuel pump in the tank, splice into the wire; if you're not, cut it out of the connector as it has the right terminal to plug right into the HEI.

The HEI wire is much thicker than the pink oil pressure sender wire. Will this still work?
HEI_OPS_Wires (Medium).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff
73 V8 Vega
78 Porsche 911SC
sayporsha

1973 Chevrolet Vega

Postby 72 SS PNL » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:55 pm

personally i wouldnt , but that is me , the method i mentioned is usually the best and most permanent , other is to run inside to the fuse box
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby spencerforhire » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:22 am

My apologies to Sayporsha; that wire might be a bit small to run an ignition system, but it would be ok for an electric choke. I have done exactly what 72 SS PNL suggests on a bunch of 60's musclecars I've rewired; swapping out the resistance wire for a larger one to run an HEI. There must be a wiring difference between the 1st and 2nd gen H-bodies that I wasn't aware of ; all the 74-up Vega's and all of the Monza's I've owned had 3 14awg wires on the oil pressure sender. I assumed that the older cars were the same.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby zeke » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:50 am

rickhunter1max wrote:Full voltage straight from the battery I'm having starting problems :?: :shock: maybe because I running a denso start that has 2 wire battery and solenoid and I ran both purple and tan together

Purple wire is from the "s" position on the key switch and has power only when cranking. It should be connected by itself to the s terminal on ND starter.

Some nippon denso starters when used on older lift trucks have the "r" terminal for +12v output while cranking to feed coil. It is just an insulated terminal with a copper contact that the solenoid disc hits. Could be added to any ND starter by drilling a hole in the solenoid case. Useful to know if you r running old style ignition. Any rebuild shop should be able to order the r terminal kit.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby sayporsha » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:31 pm

spencerforhire wrote:My apologies to Sayporsha; that wire might be a bit small to run an ignition system, but it would be ok for an electric choke. I have done exactly what 72 SS PNL suggests on a bunch of 60's musclecars I've rewired; swapping out the resistance wire for a larger one to run an HEI. There must be a wiring difference between the 1st and 2nd gen H-bodies that I wasn't aware of ; all the 74-up Vega's and all of the Monza's I've owned had 3 14awg wires on the oil pressure sender. I assumed that the older cars were the same.

No worries, spence. When I saw how small that wire was on the 73 and I saw that you had the later cars, I figured they must be different. I'll swap out the resistance wire for the HEI & splice into the OP sender wire for the electric choke.

Thanks again to everyone for the info.
Jeff
73 V8 Vega
78 Porsche 911SC
sayporsha

1973 Chevrolet Vega

Postby 72 SS PNL » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:44 am

yup , the choke is good to go from the oil pressure sender wires
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL