neutral safety switch

Moderator: Moderators

neutral safety switch

Postby AusRs » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:05 am

Hi
may be a strange question
my car has 4 wires entering the switch ,i was sent over a replacement switch when the bottom sections of the fenders came over BUT on looking at it it is different
it has provision for 6 wires .............and mounts slightly different
can anyone shed any light on this for me :)
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Re: neutral safety switch

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:34 am

You might be able to get it to work but you are going to have to figure out which terminals to use as well as a way to mount it. It sounds like the wrong switch. The correct switch is obsolete but I may be able to locate one if you can't get it to work. What's the part number on it? You could have one for a earlier H body which I believe used 6 wires.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby spyder_xlch » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:21 am

Check out this thread with wiring diagrams; viewtopic.php?f=44&t=22240
If you look at 71 Vega it shows a 6 wire NSS where 2 wires are neutral safety, 2 are back up lights and 2 are seat belt switch. Then look at 75 Monza, it shows the same 6 wire switch but the seat belt switch terminals are not used.
spyder_xlch

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby AusRs » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:28 am

spyder_xlch wrote:Check out this thread with wiring diagrams; viewtopic.php?f=44&t=22240
If you look at 71 Vega it shows a 6 wire NSS where 2 wires are neutral safety, 2 are back up lights and 2 are seat belt switch. Then look at 75 Monza, it shows the same 6 wire switch but the seat belt switch terminals are not used.

Thank you very much .............i believe that the switch came from a 75 ,that would explain the extra wires :)
easy enough to make new mounting brackets :)
as for wiring diagrams ..................they are a foriegn language to me :(
AusRs

Postby AusRs » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:32 am

cjbiagi wrote:You might be able to get it to work but you are going to have to figure out which terminals to use as well as a way to mount it. It sounds like the wrong switch. The correct switch is obsolete but I may be able to locate one if you can't get it to work. What's the part number on it? You could have one for a earlier H body which I believe used 6 wires.

Clyde
i will look at the part number on it and get back to you :P
AusRs

Postby AusRs » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:39 am

interestingly enough
put a battery in to the car today ,wired up the safety switch (instead of twisted wires) car turns over no problems
makes you wonder WHY someone would go to the effort of pulling the inside of the car apart to strip wires and just twist them together for NO reason !!!
AusRs

Return to Electrical and Wiring