Non H-Altenator / HEI Question but the same as H-body

Moderator: Moderators

Non H-Altenator / HEI Question but the same as H-body

Postby MIKESMONZA » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:00 am

I have been upgrading my GMC 4x4 Jimmy,
The 12si altenator has been acting strangely, mostly at the Gauge (movement of needle)
:arrow: ticking to the top left?and discharging with every accesory I could turn on it gets worse,

The Voltage Sensing Wire on the Altenator has been replaced with new pigtail.
:arrow: It also ticks the Digital Multi Meter up and down with false readings?

I have added a new HEI unit that is same as factory standard, for the TBI
,it had millage issues and eventualy they short out by wear at the reluctor and Pick up unit and leave you stranded
it has no Vacumn advance,is Controled by Transmission for advance, and emission's Spark Knock sensor,and ECM.
Also new cap and rotor ,wires looked good, tested good,

The Spark plugs have just been changed and :arrow: I have noticed for week's that a come and Go miss would happen
And is driving me up the wall,as this hapened before a year or two ago. then went away,
and the Ticking was going on then!!
the old plugs looked great,so i thought I would look for it again,But where ,,It come and Goe's

:arrow: Today I went to the local Muffler shop pulled on to their Rack and it started doing it again,11-12 volts ticking, and a definate miss in 5.7 SBC motor,

The muffler Mechanic checked for leaks and using a Simple 5/8ths heater hose 3 foot long,at his ear
for a Stethascope for hearing the exhaust leaks he found none,
:arrow: However the Clicking noise of a "ARC" ing sound near #2 plug,
Going back to the Shop I pulled a Set of Spare wires for the "Monza's" ACCEL units ,
and pulled # 2 wire off the plug and cap when I noticed the Spark Plug Boot was torn down Side,
a Crack was missed last week, My fault :oops:It was arcing to exhaust manifiold :shock: ocassionaly i would guess,

Then replacing boot with the Accell boot,adding Silicone additive package,
plugged it on plug n' cap went fo test drive, so far it is smooth will replace all tomorrow,

Also noticed the Altenator was No longer Ticking but Charging at 13 or a little better,

Edit on 08-12-08 the test drive again has shown the ticking is gone and is Charging again,whatever I throw at it.

:arrow: Any body have a Theory,
On HEI Spark Grounding/Altenator Discharge Ticking???
:arrow: Making the Voltage Sensing Wire not respond to changes in the Added Load like Electric fan,at Radiator, and personal Fan inside to blow A/C to the back Camper,

I was Thinking maybe it Is Interfering with Voltage Regulator in Altenator.
,,,,,,,,,,,,I guess it could happen on an H-body as well.,
,,My turn sigmnals in Monza also Tick my Voltage Gauge,but that is a another Post for later,
Mike
355,SBC,700R4Trans,3.42 rear,Sandersons,Edelbrock,Carb,Intake,Griffin,1,900 rpms at 60 MPH Highway Cruise Car.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: Non H-Altenator / HEI Question but the same as H-body

Postby NixVegaGT » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:05 pm

:bump:
- Nic '73 Vega GT "DogBoxx" Batwing LS1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2357894
NixVegaGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby zeke » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:48 am

In my experience, alternators that tick usually have worn out brush holders. Sloppy fit, back and forth movement.

Is the alternator in close proximity to #2 plug? The EMI pulse from the leaky boot could interfere with regulator operation/rotor current making alt. spike in output or drop, thereby loading/unloading the circuit thru brushes.

I have seen some pretty strange shit with EMI in vehicles.

I had a cop car once that when they used the turn signals, theyd get a pop in the radio system. Noone could figure it out after numerous filters etc. After I re-did the battery positive connections, problem was fixed. Those cars have a ton of electrical add-ons. Installing ring connectors underneath a gm side mount terminal aint a good idea. Several connections caused resistance and EMI spikes eventually.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:59 pm

MY thanks To Nic for bumping it,
And to Zeke You are Correct and thanks for your opinion and help
#2 bad Boot Twice, :arrow: Arcing to Exhaust Manifold
Incidentaly There was A Second factor'
of the Ally Foil Wraped Tube That Supplys Warm Exhaust Manifold Air,,,,between # 2 n' 4 Cylnders
..To the THERMAC Unit below Cold AIR Intake On 87 GMC Truck TBI Air Filter Unit

It rubbed the back of cracked Spark Boot and in the Dark you could see a flash
Simutaneaously Me holding the ally tube with My Weted Finger :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: HEI PULSES
It is Just A Really Weird Thing As My Voltage Sensing Wire
Was Being Really fooled,,and showing on OEM Volt Gauge,, and digital volt Meter random reading droping

Zeke Whats wrong with your Time Machine,,internal calendar?
:arrow: Its been a Year,,,,,We have Missed your Tech Help!
New Plugs,New Wires and Routing Clips have helped
Mike
:arrow: assortment from Doorman/Help Line
355,SBC,700R4Trans,3.42 rear,Sandersons,Edelbrock,Carb,Intake,Griffin,1,900 rpms at 60 MPH Highway Cruise Car.
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby zeke » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:37 pm

Sorry Mike for my absence, I got into a crummmy job for a while and lost interest in our hobby. Got rid of the job and took a few months to recover. I'm back now and no more jobs in the auto sector for me. Back to HVAC I think. 8)
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Electrical and Wiring