reverse lights

Moderator: Moderators

reverse lights

Postby skizer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:08 pm

My reverse lights are not working. All the other lights work. I checked the pink and white wire at the neutral switch and I only have ten volts. when I jump the pink and white wire to the light green wire, I have zero volts and no reverse lights. I checked the pink wire at the plug on the rear of the neutral switch ( i believe it might be for the seat belts) and found it to have twelve volts. when I jump this pink wire to the light green from the reverse plug I have reverse lights. Any ideas?
skizer

1975 Chevrolet Monza Hatchback

Re: reverse lights

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:52 pm

My guess is you might have a bad neutral safety switch. The fact that you can jump the Lt green (which goes to the reverse lights) and the pink tells me that the circuit to the lamps is good. You probably have some resistance in the switch causing your voltage drop on the other wires. It looks like the pink with the double white stripe is the feed for the reverse lamps and it comes from the turn signal flasher, you may want to check those connections first. If you need a neutral switch let me know.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:17 pm

Looking closer at the schematic it looks like the pink with double white stripe wire is the feed for the reverse lights. That wire is coming from the turn signal flasher up to the neutral switch. See if you can check the voltage at the flasher end and see what you have. It sounds like you may have a bad connection and when you jump the wires and the voltages drops to zero when a load is applied is indicating a high resistance connection. In other words the bad connection can't carry the amperage load when you attempt to jump the lights. You can also check the voltage at the fuse, listed as directional signal/back up and see if it is correct there. Check both sides of the fuse, sometimes you could have some resistance right in the fuse connector.
Last edited by cjbiagi on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby skizer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:36 pm

thanks clyde i will check that tomorrow. I appreciate the help
skizer

Postby skizer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Thanks for all the help, I traced the bad connection to the fuse itself, and low and behold I now have reverse lights.
skizer

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:20 pm

Great, glad you got them working. :th:
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Electrical and Wiring